By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 5 game companies?

Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, Naughty Dog.

I can't just use Nintendo, fine.

Nintendo, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Capcom, tie between Square of the SNES/PS1 days and Rare of the SNES/N64 days.

Around the Network

There's Nintendo, and then there's everybody else.

From Software
Capcom

My top 5, in order, would be

1.  Square-Enix - Final Fantasy, overall, is my favorite game series.  On top of that FF Tactics, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Team Asano, etc... have all made several great games each.  They don't have the same mojo that they used to, and yet I still find myself picking up and playing certain Square-Enix games.

2.  Nintendo - They have made so many different great games from so many different genres and franchises.  I am not a fan at all of their N64/GCN era, but they have published home games that I've really liked on all of their other home systems.  Also the NES is my favorite console, and the best NES games were made by Nintendo.

3.  Sega - Sega had great arcade games before the Genesis took off.  Then they made several awesome games on the Genesis.  And even after going third party, they continued make some really great games like Valkyria Chronicles, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Sonic Mania.  Overall, I see them as almost as good as Nintendo, since they have been making great games for decades from a variety of genres and franchises.

4. Konami - Oh how the mighty have fallen.  Konami is a lot like Nintendo and Sega in that they've made a ton of great games from a variety of genres and franchises: Castlevania, Frogger, Gradius/Life Force, Contra, TMNT, Suikoden, Metal Gear, The Simpsons, etc....  

5.  FromSoftware -  They don't have as many great games under their belt as my top 4, but they are currently the studio I currently look forward to releasing new games as long as they are more like Dark Souls and Elden Ring and less like Bloodborne or Sekiro.  

Here are a few Western companies that deserve an honorable mention:
Atari, New World Computing, Firaxis

archbrix said:

Of all time, and my favorite series from each:

1. Nintendo - Zelda, Super Mario, Metroid, Kart, Punch Out!!
2. Capcom - Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mega Man, GnG
3. Konami - Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear
4. Sega - Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, arcade powerhouse
5. Rare - DKC trilogy, incredible N64 legacy

I could copy + paste your post and just get on with it, with some order changes. Back in the 80s-90s Konami pretty much could do no wrong. Every release from them would be highly anticipated by me, and the list was soooo long: Contra, Castlevania, Turtles, Metal Gear, Life Force, Axelay, my goodness, they were THE softhouse that I liked the most. Then it would be Nintendo, Capcom and Sega. Later, Rare appeared and quickly got a spot there, and would have my most played games over at the 64 era.

Around the Network

25 years ago:
New World Computing
Blizzard
Nintendo
id Software
Interplay

Nowadays (among active):
Valve
Naughty Dog
Nintendo
Larian
Insomniac

1. Obsidian Entertainment: I might not be a fan of everything they create but they’ve been putting out some truly fun games since their inception. Always exciting to see what they do next.

2. CD Projekt Red: Very few if any studios do characters, world immersion and OST better than CDPR and CP77 (and CP77PL) are shining examples of that.

3. From Software: From the moment I imported Demon Souls from Asia on launch I’ve been a fan of this studio. I enjoy mostly all they put out.

4. Concerned Ape: Not only is Stardew Valley one of the best games of all time but the level of continued free support he’s given the game is admirable. Puts most AAA studios to shame.

5. Arkane: When they’re allowed to focus on tightly woven single player masterpieces aka the Dishonored series they’re goated. Hopefully they go back to what they’re best at.

Last edited by VersusEvil - on 28 November 2023

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

mZuzek said:

Moon Studios
Sure, Thomas Mahler can be pretty annoying sometimes, but I look up to this studio a lot and am very interested to find out what their next big game is gonna be like.

I feel really vindicated now

Hmmm ... If it was just from me, I prolly name big Nintendo Studios to mask my adoration for the overall catalogue they possess. So I'll say this much, HAL Laboratory, Monolith Soft and EPD are my favorite studios of theirs.

1. Nintendo (For reason cited above)

2. Square Enix* (By this I mainly mean Square Soft and their current divisions that produce their AA games like Team Asano and the ones that work on SaGa and the Mana franchise, I feel absolutely nothing about FF and KH)

3. Capcom. Having a few franchises like Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney definitely helps.

4. Too Kyo Games* Although I'll extend this by saying pretty every projects Kotaro Uchokoshi is involved with. The guy and his team are the mastercrafts of the Adventure/VN genre knowadays and he basically almost has no recognition for it amongst the gaming public.

5. Atlus. The Shin Megami Tensei studio ... enough said

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, FromSoft, Square Enix, in no particular order.