By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Second Runoff Round 2009, Game of the Year

Runoff 2.0, Game of the Year 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum 23 47.92%

Uncharted 2 25 52.08%

Total:48

Ok, a runoff vote needs to be done for 2009.  Three games made the cut from the original poll, and they are joined by two games which got more than one "Other" vote.

Runoff voting for 2009 Game of the Year will end on Sunday, Nov 19 at 11:59 PM, EST.

Around the Network

Too many great games. I would choose Resident Evil 5, if it was in the list on the list.
Infamous was good too, if it was also on the list.
I also wanted to vote for Batman Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2, Bayonetta, League of Legends, Assassin's Creed 2, CoD: Modern Warfare 2, Demon's Souls, Borderlands, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Final Fantasy 13 (well maybe not FF13 for it's linear and one-buttoned gameplay, but it was worth mentioning for it's hype and beautiful cutscenes/presentation for first time in HD).

It's too hard to choose just one for GoTY, I wish I could tick multiple boxes lol. The late 2000s exploded with month after month, year after year of great games. I think the best time in history to play games was mid/late 7th gen. Or from 2007 onwards. Or early-ish to late 7th gen. Or maybe just the 7th gen in general. I miss that generation soooo much.

I have (or have/had in the household): ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amiga, NES, Sega Master System, Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Windows 95, Gameboy Colour, Windows 98, Sega Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Windows XP, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Windows Vista, iPhone, Windows 7, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Windows 10, PSVR, Switch, PS5 & PSVR2. :D

and I Don't have: Magnovox Odyssey, Any Atari's, Any Macintosh computers, Sega Gamegear, Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, N-gage, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PSP, PSVita & Andoid Phone. Plus any non-mainstream consoles/platforms I haven't mentioned.

Yeah the 7th gen was phenomenal; intense competition drove all three console makers to excel, and shitty modern trends like aggressive monetization hadn't yet taken hold.

Of the runoff candidates, I'll go with Uncharted 2; it solidified the template for the blockbuster action adventure game which remains a staple of the industry to this day, and its setpieces were memorable and well choreographed. Didn't hurt that it was drop dead gorgeous either.

Still Uncharted 2.

Still Demon's Souls.

Around the Network

Still going with Uncharted 2 here. It was not only a very fun and downright spectacular game, but furthermore to me, it also emblemizes the revival of the PlayStation 3. This was the year that Sony launched the PS3 Slim, which, at the cost of not featuring backward compatibility, was smaller the original model, quieter, and most importantly of all launched for half the price and came packaged with the new Dual Shock 3 instead of the unpopular Sixaxis, and its debut was greeted with the release of award-winning first-party releases like Uncharted 2 and Flower. That development brought third-party publishers more enthusiastically on board and marked the beginning of the Sony comeback in the home console market. And also the beginning of the end of the brief age of the Xbox brand's competitiveness. I remember my first play of Uncharted 2, with its highly exciting Hollywood blockbuster feel, marking the beginning of a significant uptick in my personal interest in both Naughty Dog as a developer too, it may be added.

Sweet R&C Crack in Time made it to the run off. Still the best, most complete and most varied R&C game.

I would love a remake with added time puzzles :)

Sticking with Demon's Souls.

I gotta say: I appreciate all the love Arkham Asylum is getting. It's still my favorite Arkham game. I feel that the series works best as a backtracking Metroidvania-ish experience.

Of those Ill go with Demons Souls. Batman AA and Uncharted 2 are great as well though.

I'll go with Batman on the runoff since Assassin's Creed 2 (my actual GOTY choice for 2009) was eliminated.