By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Second Runoff Round 2009, Game of the Year

Runoff 2.0, Game of the Year 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum 23 47.92%

Uncharted 2 25 52.08%

Total:48

Nah it's Indiana Jones vs Batman, when Indiana Jones was still good.
It's also gun play vs beat em up, bright lighthearted humor vs darker edgier world, linear journey with open set pieces vs a more open city to explore.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

It's also gun play vs beat em up, bright lighthearted humor vs darker edgier world, linear journey with open set pieces vs a more open city to explore.

I know they didn't make the cut, but for me it's a toss-up between New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Halo 3: ODST.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

SvennoJ said:

Arkham Asylum is essentially 3D Metroidvania - one of the reasons I liked it more than its open world sequels is exactly because of that design, plus it had really great gameplay - and of course Mark Hamill as Joker is spectacular.

HoloDust said:
SvennoJ said:

Arkham Asylum is essentially 3D Metroidvania - one of the reasons I liked it more than its open world sequels is exactly because of that design, plus it had really great gameplay - and of course Mark Hamill as Joker is spectacular.

Yep, which makes it so hard to choose. Uncharted 2 is the best in the series imo and Arkham Asylum arguably the best Batman game as well.
Batman is ahead by one vote, who ever wins is well deserved.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Last edited by archbrix - on 20 November 2023

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Other - Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Actually an amazing year for the DS with this underrated masterpiece as well as HeartGold and SoulSilver, arguably the best Pokémon games. My top 5 for the year:

1. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
  2. Pokémon HeartGold and Soulsilver
  3. Tales of Graces
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  5. Borderlands

I'm guessing Uncharted 2 and Arkham Asylum will do best on the poll but they're both just outside the top 5 for me.

Well that prediction aged well. They did so well they deleted all the other options.

They are solid games but both a little bit overhyped imo, I personally think they fall short of later entries by a decent margin (Arkham City and Uncharted 4). Regardless I'd give it to Uncharted 2.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

I voted for Arkham Asylum. Not only is the voice acting, combat, music, and atmosphere top notch, but what really sets Asylum apart is the metroidvania elements and the sense of dread the game gives you. It's not an open world game the way City and Knight are. It's a series of very closed spaces with just a few kinda open areas, but you can run from one to the other in like a minute lol. You're a lot more focused on the detective aspects of Batman to continue through the story, and it was all just so well done.

I'll never forget the first time when I was playing and the game made me think my game just crashed reminded me of Eternal Darkness.

Voting is closed and the winner has been chosen.  The 2009 Game of the Year is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and the runner up is Batman: Arkham Asylum.

This was an extremely close year with Demon's Souls being close in the running for a while.  Then we needed a second runoff vote, and even then the final two games were neck and neck the whole way.

So Uncharted pulled through in the end.