By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Your expectations

Performance ridiculously ... 0 0%

Really below current gen,... 2 100.00%

Slightly below current ge... 0 0%

On pair with current gen,... 0 0%

Total:2

The industry is changing massively, think Nintendo is very, very well positioned here.

Switch 2 is going to get a lot more 3rd party games just because more and more developers and even Sony and MS themselves are acknowledging the Playstation/XBox ecosystems are not enough for them. And then you also have the XBox platform basically falling apart from the looks of it, 3rd parties are going to be looking to expand their business elsewhere. Playstation business is not growing, it looks quite likely at best PS5 might match PS4, but quite probably might come in below. 

Switch 2 is going to have Call of Duty, but probably also things like Halo, Forza, Starfield, etc. If you're a 3rd party and even Sony/MS are jumping ship from the strict console exclusive setup, like how can you even begin to justify being console exclusive, lol. Companies that have been stubborn in the past like Square-Enix I think are going to be getting a wake up call, you can even see the way their new president talks, he is eager to change how they operate because they're leaving a lot of money on the table.

As a result, I think Nintendo may begin to make hardware decisions with 3rd party content in mind going forward. 3rd party licensing fees earn you a lot of money. The environment is much more favorable to them today. Think for example we will see a Switch 2 Pro this time around. There won't be a COVID boom in the middle of the Switch 2's product cycle this time, something else will be needed to provide a mid-cycle surge.

When 3rd parties were being stand off-ish and everything required a damn money-hat it didn't make sense for Nintendo to bend over backwards and cater to them, but if there's an enormous industry wide push for everyone now to pursue multiplatform development, XBox fading out of the picture, and even Sony now saying Playstation is not enough for them, that can benefit Nintendo for sure.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 14 February 2024

Around the Network
Phenomajp13 said:
Chrkeller said:

You are also viewing this thread in isolation.  Soundwave (and others) spent months claiming the S2 would be comparable to the ps5.  Then moved to "same class" of hardware.  To now finally acknowledging it isn't a ps5.  Soundwave spent months comparing to the ps5.  Christ he claimed Sony and MS needed to be afraid of the iphone.....

You are also ignoring when I posted my comparison, which was the point of the thread, my position was immediately challenged two posts later.  

If you want to ignore facts and blame me, fine.  But pretending Soundwave wasn't every bit as "obsessed" is disingenuous.  He pushed his views as much as I pushed mine.

The irony being we shut down the circle jerk, moved on to discussing software and you brought all this back up.  Why?  

If this is true then my bad, I didn't realize it was more than just this thread. I would hardly call you being challenged by a single poster excusable for you to turn this thread into a PS5 vs Switch 2 thread but again if the discussion between you and Soundwave was more than this thread then maybe I can understand your post now.

NOBODY, either here or other threads said the Switch 2 will be as powerful as the ps5. Ignore Cherkeller's pathetic gaslight. The Switch 2 will be about HALF as powerful as the ps5, so games will look a little worse graphically but will have the same resolution quality as on ps5 thanks to dlss. Visually, the end result will be COMPARABLE (not equal) and only notable with the screens side by side. The only way it will be super close or equal is if the Switch 2 gets dlss frame gen and it's updated to work fine from lower base framerates.

Blazerz said:
Phenomajp13 said:

If this is true then my bad, I didn't realize it was more than just this thread. I would hardly call you being challenged by a single poster excusable for you to turn this thread into a PS5 vs Switch 2 thread but again if the discussion between you and Soundwave was more than this thread then maybe I can understand your post now.

NOBODY, either here or other threads said the Switch 2 will be as powerful as the ps5. Ignore Cherkeller's pathetic gaslight. The Switch 2 will be about HALF as powerful as the ps5, so games will look a little worse graphically but will have the same resolution quality as on ps5 thanks to dlss. Visually, the end result will be COMPARABLE (not equal) and only notable with the screens side by side. The only way it will be super close or equal is if the Switch 2 gets dlss frame gen and it's updated to work fine from lower base framerates.

lol you just confirmed what  Cherkeller been saying. it will have the same resolution as ps5 cause of DLSS is a blatantly false comment it's not some dark magic, so  is saying its half the power of the ps5. framegen also doesn't really work unless the game is targeting super high framerate and you need VVR display for it and it cause lag.

Blazerz said:

That would be very hard to achieve.

Say it's indeed manufactured in 5 nm. A 4060 Mobile with 24 SMs boosts to only 1470 MHz when limited to 35W. That makes it exactly half as fast as a 3050, a GPU that's less than two-thirds as powerful as a 6600 XT (= or < than a PS5). Consider that the Switch 2 GPU should be exactly half of that and 17.5W is still significantly more power than the entire original Switch consumed on docked mode.

Tthe Switch had the same advantages in node and Nvidia architecture and still ended up several slower than a PS4. And this time around, both console manufacturers didn't go for underpowered hardware like in the 8th gen, and RDNA2 performs much better vs. Ampere than GCN ever did vs. Maxwell.

Unless the Switch 2 dramatically increases in battery size (or sacrifices battery life), the hardware gap between it and the XBS/PS5 will be *larger*, not *smaller*, than the gap between the PS4/XBO and the Switch.

Of course, it'll have DLSS to make up for this, assuming the devs are on board and implement it well.

The bottom line is from what we know of 12SMs, 1536 CUDA cores, it can probably run challening ports at 1080p (DLSS from a lower native resolution like 720p maybe even slightly below). Talking games like Alan Wake II, A Plague's Tale, Cyberpunk 2077, Monster Hunter 6, Halo (lol), Call of Duty, may even hit 40-60 fps on games like FC Soccer and NBA2K next-gen. If it can do that, then that is for a hybrid machine that is more than plenty. Whatever you want to classify a system that does that, frankly at this point I don't give a shit. Call it a Super NES if that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. If it's running next-gen games, to me it belongs in that product category. 

Undocked you can probably cheat even more because on a smaller display (480p native DLSS to 720p or 900p), it's harder to see DLSS artifacting or frankly care all that much. I've tried this myself playing PC games in a windowed mode to simulate a smaller size screen, it becomes a lot harder to tell there's image distortion of like power cables in the background of a scene 50 feet away from the main character. Now if you don't like that, fine, no one is putting a gun to your head, frankly any kind of DLSS implimentation is better than none I find because you get free anti-aliasing basically at a minimum that creates better image quality than many of today's Switch games. 

Nintendo's internal games will probably be able to run 1440p or 4K even (DLSSed up from 1080p probably) at 60 fps.

This time around since there's unlikely to be a global pandemic right as the Switch 2 is hitting its mid-cycle, Nintendo might be more inclined to release an actual Switch 2 Pro as well, because they will probably want the same sales boost but without a pandemic they are going to have to create demand some how themselves, don't think an OLED model alone covers that. So that may also be a factor this time around that wasn't a factor last gen. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 14 February 2024

Around the Network
Blazerz said:
Phenomajp13 said:

NOBODY, either here or other threads said the Switch 2 will be as powerful as the ps5. Ignore Cherkeller's pathetic gaslight. The Switch 2 will be about HALF as powerful as the ps5, so games will look a little worse graphically but will have the same resolution quality as on ps5 thanks to dlss.

No it won't, especially if it has the performance of a downclocked RTX2050.

Here is a comparison of a normal clocked RTX 2050: https://www.notebookcheck.com/GeForce-RTX-2050-Mobile-vs-GeForce-RTX-2070-Desktop-vs-GeForce-RTX-2070-Super-Desktop_11108_9281_9892.247532.0.html

Completely agree with Soundwave and Blazers is out of his mind. So hopefully all of this Switch 2 vs PS5 stuff doesn't come from Blazers. Switch 2 running the same games as PS5 is what will make it a competitor. It certainly will not be half of PS5s hardware power lol, but will punch higher than it should due to developers being able to sit down and properly port to the hardware amd DLSS. With the recent news of no major first party games from Sony, could this be the first time we see a PS, Xbox, and Nintendo console share all of this year's major holiday third party games? CoD and Fifa are both guaranteed for Switch 2 this holiday (if Switch 2 is coming this holiday ofcourse), what other major third party games are coming this holiday? Assassin Creed Red was delayed and I believe rumored coming to Switch 2.

zeldaring said:
Blazerz said:

lol you just confirmed what  Cherkeller been saying. it will have the same resolution as ps5 cause of DLSS is a blatantly false comment it's not some dark magic, so  is saying its half the power of the ps5. framegen also doesn't really work unless the game is targeting super high framerate and you need VVR display for it and it cause lag.

Cry me a river, loser. Your whining won't change what dlss does. 1080p to 4k in dlss is the same or better than the 1440p to 4k fsr the ps5 has.

Me: "The only way it will be super close or equal is if the Switch 2 gets dlss frame gen and it's updated to work fine from lower base framerates."

A filthy braindead unhappy nintendo hater troll's response showing nintendo haters are so pathetic they can't even read: "framegen also doesn't really work unless the game is targeting super high framerate and you need VVR display for it and it cause lag."

Last edited by Blazerz - on 14 February 2024

Soundwave said:

The bottom line is from what we know of 12SMs, 1536 CUDA cores, it can probably run challening ports at 1080p (DLSS from a lower native resolution like 720p maybe even slightly below). Talking games like Alan Wake II, A Plague's Tale, Cyberpunk 2077, Monster Hunter 6, Halo (lol), Call of Duty, may even hit 40-60 fps on games like FC Soccer and NBA2K next-gen. If it can do that, then that is for a hybrid machine that is more than plenty. Whatever you want to classify a system that does that, frankly at this point I don't give a shit. Call it a Super NES if that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. If it's running next-gen games, to me it belongs in that product category. 

Undocked you can probably cheat even more because on a smaller display (480p native DLSS to 720p or 900p), it's harder to see DLSS artifacting or frankly care all that much. I've tried this myself playing PC games in a windowed mode to simulate a smaller size screen, it becomes a lot harder to tell there's image distortion of like power cables in the background of a scene 50 feet away from the main character. Now if you don't like that, fine, no one is putting a gun to your head, frankly any kind of DLSS implimentation is better than none I find because you get free anti-aliasing basically at a minimum that creates better image quality than many of today's Switch games. 

Nintendo's internal games will probably be able to run 1440p or 4K even (DLSSed up from 1080p probably) at 60 fps.

This time around since there's unlikely to be a global pandemic right as the Switch 2 is hitting its mid-cycle, Nintendo might be more inclined to release an actual Switch 2 Pro as well, because they will probably want the same sales boost but without a pandemic they are going to have to create demand some how themselves, don't think an OLED model alone covers that. So that may also be a factor this time around that wasn't a factor last gen. 

Bitch, the switch 2 will be closer to ps5 than the switch was to ps4 and the resolution gap is much bigger. 1080p games on ps4 had to be ported down to 640-720p on switch. ps5 games are 1600p+ native before fsr. Switch 2 getting native 1080p, 960p at worst is a piece of cake. Only cpu related downgrades are needed.

Last edited by Blazerz - on 14 February 2024

Conina said:
Blazerz said:

NOBODY, either here or other threads said the Switch 2 will be as powerful as the ps5. Ignore Cherkeller's pathetic gaslight. The Switch 2 will be about HALF as powerful as the ps5, so games will look a little worse graphically but will have the same resolution quality as on ps5 thanks to dlss.

No it won't, especially if it has the performance of a downclocked RTX2050.

Here is a comparison of a normal clocked RTX 2050: https://www.notebookcheck.com/GeForce-RTX-2050-Mobile-vs-GeForce-RTX-2070-Desktop-vs-GeForce-RTX-2070-Super-Desktop_11108_9281_9892.247532.0.html

Oh yeah, the super vram starved gpu. A problem the switch 2's gpu won't have. Plus actual optimization.