By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 45, 2023 (Oct 30 - Nov 05)

Here is the last 5 weeks. Each has an increased over the week before.

Week 41995
Week 421086
Week 432748
Week 443301
Week 454737

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
DonFerrari said:

Aren't xbox sales also dropping YoY in Japan? Why expect it to keep over 100k/year for the next 4 years?

Why not ? it should keep some baseline at least .. It is still having some weeks of 3-4-5k here and there, so there is possibility to at least keep around 100k per year.

I'm a little skeptical, but ok.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

I mean, it shouldn't take a big change to eek out another 500k over the next 5-6 years, they could get there just by crawling slowly forwards.

What make you think they will support Series in Japan for another 5-6 years? They didn't support X1 for 8-9 years, and well even their last year or couple years of support the sales (WW) were quite low.

This gen will likely be longer than last due to the impacts of covid on its opening years, dev cycles growing longer, and games getting more expensive to make. MS (and Sony) will want to recoup their investment before moving on to the next system, and as long as Xbox Series is their main console, there's a decent chance they'll continue to ship to Japan.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

What make you think they will support Series in Japan for another 5-6 years? They didn't support X1 for 8-9 years, and well even their last year or couple years of support the sales (WW) were quite low.

This gen will likely be longer than last due to the impacts of covid on its opening years, dev cycles growing longer, and games getting more expensive to make. MS (and Sony) will want to recoup their investment before moving on to the next system, and as long as Xbox Series is their main console, there's a decent chance they'll continue to ship to Japan.

Manufacturer wishes for gen duration are meaningless. Gens start and finish based on SW sales, when SW growth goes from the peak and decrease you may be sure gen will end soon and if they plummet well it have ended even if no new console have been released.

Similar wise even if a console maker keep making and shipping consoles for 15 years customers buying decides the relevance, so after a point 1 or 10 years more in the market may not make any sensible difference on LT sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Manufacturer wishes for gen duration are meaningless. Gens start and finish based on SW sales, when SW growth goes from the peak and decrease you may be sure gen will end soon and if they plummet well it have ended even if no new console have been released.

Similar wise even if a console maker keep making and shipping consoles for 15 years customers buying decides the relevance, so after a point 1 or 10 years more in the market may not make any sensible difference on LT sales.

Consumers aren't going to stop buying consoles and games if the gen lasts an extra year; based on the MS leak 2028 is their target for the 10th gen, and systems usually aren't discontinued immediately after replacement, so conservatively speaking MS has til roughly 2029 or another 6 years to ship another 500k to Japan, which is entirely possible even at their slow pace.

Around the Network

I'm still looking for PS5 predictions for this week's Famitsu charts!

My guess is 106k.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Consumers aren't going to stop buying consoles and games if the gen lasts an extra year; based on the MS leak 2028 is their target for the 10th gen, and systems usually aren't discontinued immediately after replacement, so conservatively speaking MS has til roughly 2029 or another 6 years to ship another 500k to Japan, which is entirely possible even at their slow pace.

Customers stopped buying X1 and its games long before they had even announced series, PS3/PS4 also had much shorter legs than PS2. Again customers will reduce their purchase at some point and that defines when the next gen will kick in not the wishes and projections of the manufacturers.

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Customers stopped buying X1 and its games long before they had even announced series, PS3/PS4 also had much shorter legs than PS2. Again customers will reduce their purchase at some point and that defines when the next gen will kick in not the wishes and projections of the manufacturers.

But that didn't make MS release the Xbox Series sooner. Companies have a planned timetable for these things years in advance, they don't watch weekly sales and go "okay we're losing sales, release the next one now." MS especially won't want to release much before the PS6 so that they don't get leapfrogged in technology.

CosmicSex said:

My guess is 106k.

I am quite the pessimist and feel sony squandered their chance to sell a lot of ps5s in the past few weeks. This week I think around 84k is the amount for Ps5, and in the coming weeks the average will be around 60k.

Farsala said:
CosmicSex said:

My guess is 106k.

I am quite the pessimist and feel sony squandered their chance to sell a lot of ps5s in the past few weeks. This week I think around 84k is the amount for Ps5, and in the coming weeks the average will be around 60k.

The way I see it, those who missed out or held out for the last few weeks will still get one once stock comes back in, so those sales weren't lost but just postponed.