By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's your favorite web browser?

What's your favorite web browser?

Internet Explorer 3 6.25%

Google Chrome 9 18.75%

Mozilla Firefox 20 41.67%

Opera 5 10.42%

Safari 3 6.25%

Other 8 16.67%

Total:48
SvennoJ said:

I use Firefox. It is indeed heavy on performance, current has 1.96 GB in use, spread over 25 tabs.
It seems to be doing the job anyway, only sometimes some ad can cause it to become unresponsive.

I removed Edge when MS added Web3 to Edge ( https://web3isgoinggreat.com/ ) which led to Windows Update breaking.

After banging my head on Windows Update failing at 96% and then undoing changes for 5 minutes, next to my laptop often not willing to wake up anymore, needing a hard reboot, triggering the failing update over and over, I have now also disabled Windows Update. My laptop works again, wakes up from sleep without issues and no more Updates failing. (as in no more updates downloading)

KB5030211 fails if you remove Edge.

2023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5030211) (0x800f0922)

Error [0x018066] CSI 0000241e (F) Failed execution of queue item Installer: Edge Installer ({cf7e0697-ee30-4ed8-8bca-297eeb00c6e6}) with HRESULT HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). Failure will not be ignored: A rollback will be initiated after all the operations in the installer queue are completed; installer is reliable[gle=0x80004005]

You have removed the Edge Browser from your System.
Reinstall the Edge Browser

My next laptop is going to be a MacBook.

This is soo Windows.

Getting a mac will be a godsend.

Around the Network

Firefox personally at home with Google Chrome as a back up.

At work - I use Microsoft Edge as my primary browser with Google Chrome as a back up.

For my phone, its Safari.

Reading this thread im considering changing to Firefox I guess

I can see that VGChartz has taste with Firefox leading the poll.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Firefox. I like the customization options and the fact that it's not controlled by aun untrustworthy giant corporation that wants to dictate how the web develops. Google is known to be somewhat pushy about the standards it wants, and the more Chromium-based browsers there are out there, the easier it is for Google. Most browsers out there are Chromium-based, with Firefox and Safari being the most notable exceptions.

Brave

Currently is not that I have a favorite is just that I use the one where I can do the things that I need, but without getting problems when browsing, I would like to use Firefox but with about 10 tabs becomes all heavy on Windows and some pages that I use for institutional procedures don't display properly on firefox, so I use a chromium compiled binary, that fares a bit better and can open those pages, but without all the garbage of google that is active at all times, even when the browser is not running, and still sometimes it get stuck and I have to kill its processes because if don't it en ups making unable to click on anyhing else on the desktop and file browser.

S.Peelman said:
SvennoJ said:

My next laptop is going to be a MacBook.

This is soo Windows.

I for one, used mac before since like the year 2000, but I had to change at one point due to compatibitilty on some programs to Windows 7, personally even with suposedly superior specs(more RAM, higher clock speeds etc.) to mac, PCs always had somewhat of a slower performance and was a little bit more prone to getting stuck, but all in all with Windows 7 was fine, but then I had to update again, and Oh lord, Windows 10 is heavy, effing resource consuming, crashes all the time for one reason or another, I had to keep open task manager open at all times to kill the damn web browsers when they freeze or another applications when they don't exit properly, I also have had fatal errors auto turning off the PC and even I had to backtrack a driver update, when it killed the option to dim the brightness of the screen,  those last kind of problems I haven't seen since the times of more ancient windows systems on my father's computers and since I skipped Vista and 8 and their problems, but goddamn, I have been testing some linux distros, but they are still rough around the edges and sometimes even simpler operations get complicated, am also thinking on the possibility of getting a Mac next depending how the system and it's performance seem to be faring lately, because that brand sometimes also does remove or overcomplicates things that weren't broken years ago.

foxmccloud64 said:
S.Peelman said:

This is soo Windows.

I for one, used mac before since like the year 2000, but I had to change at one point due to compatibitilty on some programs to Windows 7, personally even with suposedly superior specs(more RAM, higher clock speeds etc.) to mac, PCs always had somewhat of a slower performance and was a little bit more prone to getting stuck, but all in all with Windows 7 was fine, but then I had to update again, and Oh lord, Windows 10 is heavy, effing resource consuming, crashes all the time for one reason or another, I had to keep open task manager open at all times to kill the damn web browsers when they freeze or another applications when they don't exit properly, I also have had fatal errors auto turning off the PC and even I had to backtrack a driver update, when it killed the option to dim the brightness of the screen,  those last kind of problems I haven't seen since the times of more ancient windows systems on my father's computers and since I skipped Vista and 8 and their problems, but goddamn, I have been testing some linux distros, but they are still rough around the edges and sometimes even simpler operations get complicated, am also thinking on the possibility of getting a Mac next depending how the system and it's performance seem to be faring lately, because that brand sometimes also does remove or overcomplicates things that weren't broken years ago.

I've noticed the same, Windows 10 is the worst windows I've used in a decade. Incompatibility issues aside, for half a year my screen wouldn't turn off anymore, first because it won't turn off when charging a controller, then because it won't turn off with a flight stick connected. Then even with just a mouse and external keyboard, it still would regularly leave the screen on for no reason and never go to sleep.

I have had tons of slowdown from background indexing (disabled), unnecessary memory compression (disabled I have 32GB RAM, no need to compress memory in use) and many other background processes that only make things slower instead of what they're for. And still Windows 10 can get so unresponsive you can't even get the task manager to appear. Plus I often had to force reboot after it wouldn't wake up anymore from sleep.

My wife is on Windows 10 as well and she has to re-install the printer driver every time she wants to print something. Always a printing error, remove printer, scan, add printer, and it prints again. I use the same printer, never a problem...

My oldest has a MacBook since June. He says it's great, no issues and often helps out my wife now when she needs shipping labels created/printed. Windows is a mess. It takes me 24h to backup the (128GB) data from my wife's iPhone since Windows keeps aborting the copy if you try to copy too much at one time. So I have to copy in small batches, one directory at a time and for the bigger ones, split them in parts. (After praying to the universe to actually get Windows to list files on the iPhone in File Explorer)

At least I assume iPhone should be more compatible with Mac than Windows. So hopefully it won't take me days anymore to backup her phone lol.

Anyway Firefox on Mac, does it work just as well?

So two people voted internet explorer seriously? xD