By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's your favorite web browser?

What's your favorite web browser?

Internet Explorer 3 6.25%

Google Chrome 9 18.75%

Mozilla Firefox 20 41.67%

Opera 5 10.42%

Safari 3 6.25%

Other 8 16.67%

Total:48

My current web browser is Opera GX. I use Opera since the early 2010s, I think... Love the speed dial and it runs great on my PC. In the past, I had Firefox and Ares, but they were kinda... Heavy.

However, since not everything is compatible with Opera, I have Google Chrome as a second option.

What about you?

Around the Network

Couldn't resist voting for the Internet Explorer

BraLoD said:

Internet Explorer wasn't as bad as people say. It's just that some better options arrived over time.

Wasn't IE killed off last year? I'm sure it's technically possible to still use it but you probably have to actively find & download it (assuming it works on updated W10)

I've used FF as main about 15 years now, I did have chrome as backup but uninstalled a couple of weeks back, so Edge is now my backup (though only because MS make it a nightmare to remove it stop it from reinstalling on the next update)

I did try Opera back when they used their own engine, the program was pretty good, with quite a few features baked in that I then emulated with Firefox plug-ins (some of which became defunct a few years back when they changed to "extensions" unfortunately, but I still have a speed-dial) being a mostly ignored browser though it was fairly often I came across pages not loading as intended. I might look into it again though.

Last edited by HigHurtenflurst - on 03 November 2023

I use Firefox. It is indeed heavy on performance, current has 1.96 GB in use, spread over 25 tabs.
It seems to be doing the job anyway, only sometimes some ad can cause it to become unresponsive.

I removed Edge when MS added Web3 to Edge ( https://web3isgoinggreat.com/ ) which led to Windows Update breaking.

After banging my head on Windows Update failing at 96% and then undoing changes for 5 minutes, next to my laptop often not willing to wake up anymore, needing a hard reboot, triggering the failing update over and over, I have now also disabled Windows Update. My laptop works again, wakes up from sleep without issues and no more Updates failing. (as in no more updates downloading)

KB5030211 fails if you remove Edge.

2023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5030211) (0x800f0922)

Error [0x018066] CSI 0000241e (F) Failed execution of queue item Installer: Edge Installer ({cf7e0697-ee30-4ed8-8bca-297eeb00c6e6}) with HRESULT HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). Failure will not be ignored: A rollback will be initiated after all the operations in the installer queue are completed; installer is reliable[gle=0x80004005]

You have removed the Edge Browser from your System.
Reinstall the Edge Browser

My next laptop is going to be a MacBook.

Around the Network
HigHurtenflurst said:

Wasn't IE killed off last year? I'm sure it's technically possible to still use it but you probably have to actively find & download it (assuming it works on updated W10)

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro some time ago, and it says that support for Internet Explorer has ended.

In the early 2000s, using internet explorer was a sure way to get a virus.

Chrome uses your private information for its marketing purposes.

Firefox is solid alternative to the above two.

Safari on a Mac is the safest way to use the web.

Opera is a good browser but lacks the support the others have. 

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
BraLoD said:

Internet Explorer wasn't as bad as people say. It's just that some better options arrived over time.

IE was always bad, it's just that it was what people got introduced to, and a lot of times the only they actually knew.

My pick would be Firefox on my PC.

Used lots of different browsers on smartphones over the years but lately I just stick with Chrome there.

Firefox, all day, every day. It has the best add-ons and extensions, and I love the UI. I use Edge as my secondary browser, mostly for sites that lack compatibility with FF (currently, there are some issues with the biggest car-trade site here) or for watching youtube without being signed in (and getting that algorithm funnel).

BraLoD said:

Well it is the #1 web browser used.........to download other web browsers lol