Knights of the Old Republic 10 23.26%

Zone of Enders: The Second Runner 2 4.65%

F-Zero GX 5 11.63%

Tales of Symphonia 5 11.63%

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow 4 9.30%

Total:43
curl-6 said:
VAMatt said:

With the benefit of hindsight, I don't see how anybody can vote for anything other than Call of Duty. In many respects, it is the biggest franchise in gaming. This is the game that started it all.

Because we're voting on the best game of the year, not the one that went on to be the biggest franchise.

As someone who played the original back before it became the a megaton IP, the 2003 game itself just isn't that great.

Who said we're voting on the best game of the year?  When I asked, the OP told me that we should use whatever criteria we want. Every vote I've cast was based on the significance of the game to the hobby, not which one I like the most, or I felt was the best. In some cases those are all the same thing. But, not at all of them.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
VAMatt said:

With the benefit of hindsight, I don't see how anybody can vote for anything other than Call of Duty. In many respects, it is the biggest franchise in gaming. This is the game that started it all.

Strange line of thinking. And I already thought so in the previous thread where you said something similar. Why would someone have to vote for Call of Duty just because a bunch of sequels sold great? It was a great game like I said, one of my favourite fps's, but "in hindsight", Knights of the Old Republic (in my case) is better. I vote for what I think is the 'best' game, not for what its sales potential is (or turned out to be a generation later). I wonder, did you, by this logic, vote for Fifa back in 1993 then? Or will you vote for Candy Crush come 2012, that was a big catalyst in the rise of mobile ftp games after all?

I applied this logic to every vote that I've cast.  But, it isn't about sales.  It's about significance to the hobby of gaming. As I mentioned in another comment, this is based on the OP's answer to me when I asked what criteria we're supposed to use for voting.

I don't think I voted for FIFA.  But, I don't think it is comparable to CoD in terms of significance anyway.  It may be more comparable to Candy Crush, in that regard.  I'd have to see what games are going up against Candy Crush, but I don't think I would vote for it. It has been significant to the gaming industry, as it's a big seller.  But, not so much to the hobby. It is more of a time killer, taking a dump, riding the bus sort of thing. 

KOTOR baybee!!!

VAMatt said:
curl-6 said:

Because we're voting on the best game of the year, not the one that went on to be the biggest franchise.

As someone who played the original back before it became the a megaton IP, the 2003 game itself just isn't that great.

Who said we're voting on the best game of the year?  When I asked, the OP told me that we should use whatever criteria we want. Every vote I've cast was based on the significance of the game to the hobby, not which one I like the most, or I felt was the best. In some cases those are all the same thing. But, not at all of them.

The rest of us aren't necesarily using your criteria though.

COD 2003 is well made game with admirable commitment to historical realism, but its AI is dumb as hell and the levels design can be rather disjointed.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, period. Absolutely nothing released in 2003 can compete with it (for me personally, obviously). I don't play a lot online, but Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory remains by far the best online shooter I've played, and it's still just as fun if you manage to find a server that's not ruined by 'fun' mods and maps.

Around the Network

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga was a fantastic little RPG, much bigger and more interesting than its presence on a handheld might suggest.

curl-6 said:
VAMatt said:

The rest of us aren't necesarily using your criteria though.

Which is why I have said in most of my comments " with the benefit of hindsight". 

Didn't play many games of that year, but Manhunt stood out as a unique experience.

5. Advance Wars: Black Hole Rising

4. Spellforce: The Order of Dawn

3. Fire Emblem

2. Mario Kart: Double Dash

1. Knight of the Old Republic

I think I remembered to vote for other in the poll in time, and not just in the comments.