By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Matthew Perry (Chandler from FRIENDS) dead at 54

Friends one of my favorite sitcoms of all time, RIP man

Around the Network

Drowning? Damn!

BraLoD said:

Drowning? Damn!

Yer in a hot tub. Makes me wonder all those times I been in one relaxing and fell asleep whether that was a good idea.

Sad news indeed he was great in whole 9 yards and the sequel. He made Friends funnier but I was not so much into the show. I preferred the classics like Cheers.

It's believed he had a heart attack which led to drowning. There was a call to 911 saying that someone is suffering a cardiac arrest. When they arrived , it was too late

Some details about Matthew Perry.
He came from an affluent Canadian family, his father an actor, step father a news broadcaster, and his mother was press secretary to Justin Trudeau’s father, former Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau.
He had been an alcoholic from the age of 14.
When he acted on Friends, he was involved in an accident during season 3, and that’s where he was prescribed pain medications. He became addicted to those and other drugs, such as cocaine.
His addictions were so bad that he didn’t remember any of his time acting on Friends beyond the third season, and he found it difficult to watch the show because he could point out what drug he was on.
Between 2001 and 2021 he quit and relapsed between 60 and 70 times.
In April 2018, he was rushed to hospital due to the long term effects of opiates, which caused his bowels to burst. He came very close to death.
Later, he was cast to play in the film Don’t Look Up, but couldn’t perform the role due to another incident where he’d been taking large amounts of hydrocodone, and then he had a surgery, the anesthetic caused his heart to stop for 5 minutes, and the resuscitation broke 8 ribs.
By the release of his book, which released 1 year ago tomorrow (November 1st), he’d been sober for about 18 months.
He had just moved into his current home about three weeks ago.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

He came from an affluent Canadian family, his father an actor, step father a news broadcaster, and his mother was press secretary to Justin Trudeau’s father, former Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau.
When he acted on Friends, he was involved in an accident during season 3, and that’s where he was prescribed pain medications. He became addicted to those and other drugs, such as cocaine.
His addictions were so bad that he didn’t remember any of his time acting on Friends beyond the third season, and he found it difficult to watch the show because he could point out what drug he was on.
In April 2018, he was rushed to hospital due to the long term effects of opiates, which caused his bowels to burst. He came very close to death.
Later, he was cast to play in the film Don’t Look Up, but couldn’t perform the role due to another incident where he’d been taking large amounts of hydrocodone, and then he had a surgery, the anesthetic caused his heart to stop for 5 minutes, and the resuscitation broke 8 ribs.
By the release of his book, which released 1 year ago tomorrow (November 1st), he’d been sober for about 18 months.

Honestly i dont understand the reason for this post. Or for the 3 likes on it. WTF...

zero129 said:
Jumpin said:

Honestly i dont understand the reason for this post. Or for the 3 likes on it. WTF...

You're seriously going to troll in a thread about Matthew Perry's passing? On a post discussing details about his life and struggles?

EDIT: And no, I'm not taking any further bait from this guy. Not the place, not the time for that kind of BS.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 01 November 2023

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
zero129 said:

You're seriously going to troll in a thread about a man who has just died? On a post discussing details about his life and struggles?

Are you sick?. No i am not BUT ARE YOU??... Why even bring all that in here??...

Jumpin said:

Some of that stuff is interesting like his family or just moving into a home. Some of that stuff is rather depressing.  Leaving the question of why post depressing stuff in a depressing thread. Do you think those were related to the drowning/possibly heart attack?

You're comment is the only one I would say is talking about his life and struggles. So I can see how someone thought it seemed more slanderous than it is.  So I don't think you are being trolled or being mocked. Just heated reactions.

zero129 said:
Jumpin said:

You're seriously going to troll in a thread about a man who has just died? On a post discussing details about his life and struggles?

Are you sick?. No i am not BUT ARE YOU??... Why even bring all that in here??...

Take a breath. Probably like 30 of them. You went from 0 to 1000 way to fast.  Take a step back.  He probably posted all that stuff for a reason. You are reacting for a reason.  Let some posts go by so you can see if you can understand why he posted that stuff.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Jumpin said:

Thanks for the background. I knew he struggled with drug addiction yet never realized how much and how bad it got. Nor did I know he actually got out of it eventually and wrongly assumed it was a drug overdose when I first heard the news.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/matthew-perry-death-friends-creator-really-good-place-1235775756/

Friends” co-creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane recalled their last conversations with series star Matthew Perry, who died on Oct. 28 at the age of 54, during an appearance on “Today” Wednesday morning. Kauffman spoke to Perry just two weeks ago, saying: “It was great. He was happy and chipper. He didn’t seem weighed down by anything. He was in a really good place, which is why this seems so unfair.”

“Today” host Hoda Kotb pointed out that though Perry’s death was shocking, it may not have been surprising to some given his history with drugs and alcohol abuse. “I would say that’s probably true given the journey he’d been on, and we were all aware of it. There was a part that was kind of bracing for something like this,” Crane said. “It is still hard to believe, because he was such an alive person that it’s hard to believe he’s not here.” However, Kauffman said that Perry was sober at the time of his death. “He seemed better than I had seen in a while. I was so thrilled to see that,” Kauffman said. “He was emotionally in a good place. He looked good. He quit smoking … He was sober.”

In one of his last interviews, Perry discussed how he wanted to be remembered not just for “Friends,” but for helping others struggling with drug and alcohol abuse. “When I die, I don’t want ‘Friends’ to be the first thing that’s mentioned,” Perry said. “I want that to be the first thing that’s mentioned. And I’m gonna live the rest of my life proving that.” Crane said that definitely rings true. “As important as the show was and continues to be, I think that absolutely became his purpose, his reason for being,” he said.

Indeed unfair, at least he was in a good place mentally and eventually made a positive impact on those around him. Fame and drug abuse seem to go hand in hand, yet he showed that there is a way out. Great guy.