By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 43, 2023 (Oct 16 - Oct 22)

Big drop for 3DS

Around the Network

500K opening week's at retail for Switch in Japan:

I was definitely expecting much higher numbers for Switch; so much for owning the week 43 record this year... :/

Pretty good numbers for Mario though, since it's likely >1m w/digital.

Last edited by archbrix - on 26 October 2023

What happened to ps5 sales? Is Sony letting the stock run out to launch the new version?

Wow must be some serious shortages of Switch in Japan for low numbers during Mario Wonder week, considering it was selling more on normal weeks just a few weeks ago.

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

500K opening week's at retail for Switch in Japan:

Wonder debut not too bad once you remove all the Pokémon bloat 

Slownenberg said:

Wow must be some serious shortages of Switch in Japan for low numbers during Mario Wonder week, considering it was selling more on normal weeks just a few weeks ago.

It does seem a bit underwhelming. SMBW also looks low, but I understand digital adoption has grown considerably these past few years.

Time for those Mario legs to do some work.

jvmkdg said:

What happened to ps5 sales? Is Sony letting the stock run out to launch the new version?

So in regards to the new version, apparently Sony had planned to ship much earlier but it was delayed (and no reason for the delay was given).  Since the new model is expected to replace the current one, it would seem that they simply ran out of PS5s.  In fact, we should expect to see even lower number next week and possibly close to zero for the week after that.  Its absolutely amazing that Sony would launch their biggest game of the year and then mismanage the launch of their new console.  Is their goal to minimize sales? 

So when it comes to the Switch, Mario Wonder had the best launch out of any Mario game, beating out Mario Odyssey by 200k+, impressive.

Mario Wonder might also be the fastest selling Mario game in Japan's history. NSMB Wii/DS sold around 900k at launch period compared to Mario Wonder's 638k, but Wonder's sales only include physical so I wouldn't be surprised if Wonder had a bigger launch then NSMB Wii/DS when you include digital sales assuming we keep the 50/50 physical/digital sales ratio.

Its already confirmed to be the fastest selling Mario game ever in Europe, and I could expect the same for NA

I expected a bigger hardware bump tho tbh, maybe there are shortages? Or maybe just plain oversaturation at this point.

Slownenberg said:

Please correct me if I have mistaken but didn't Nintendo just launch the pseudo-cheaper Switch bundle?