Doom 9 9.89%

Super Metroid 10 10.99%

Chrono Trigger 7 7.69%

Super Mario 64 12 13.19%

Final Fantasy VII 13 14.29%

Ocarina of Time 28 30.77%

Age of Empires II 2 2.20%

Total:91

Looks like OoT has this wrapped up as expected, but if FF7 can maintain runner-up, I'll be more than happy. 2nd best game in a whole decade is still a massive achievement.

Around the Network

Ocarina of Time.
It's an A+ in every department and a landmark title in the development of gaming as a medium.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I wasn't sure how this poll would turn out since in the 80's over 50% of people voted for Mario 3.  This has turned into a very interesting race so far though.  Doom, FF7, and Ocarina are all tied for first place with Mario 64 and Chrono Trigger being not far behind.  It's pretty much impossible to tell how this poll is going to turn out at this point.

It's interesting how this poll is turning out.  The first day saw a close race between Doom, FF7 and Ocarina.  Not long after that FF7 and Ocarina gained the lead over Doom, and then FF7 and Doom both kind of stalled with Ocarina gaining a very comfortable lead.  However, the most recent development is that Super Metroid has gained several votes and is now in third place.  Notice that I didn't even mention it in the post above.  Looks like Super Metroid fans are coming out to represent.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 23 October 2023

My favorite would probably be FFVI, but since it didn't win for 1994, Super Metroid is also a great choice

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

It was interesting to see how the poll progressed over several days of voing.  In the end one game became the clear winner.  The 1990's game of the decade is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and the runner up is Final Fantasy VII.

Around the Network

The 90s were awesome!

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

The 90s were awesome!

Indeed. For me the most interesting period. Gaming exploded into more common usage than before. Never again we saw that massive steps in technology (from 2D to 3D, establishment of soundcards, establishment of networking and online functions). Game devs still tried many different gameplay formulas instead of chasing the most successful only.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

can i change my vote to catdog for gameboy color

PC exclusives mostly dying out in the noughties was a big loss.

Mnementh said:
TruckOSaurus said:

The 90s were awesome!

Indeed. For me the most interesting period. Gaming exploded into more common usage than before. Never again we saw that massive steps in technology (from 2D to 3D, establishment of soundcards, establishment of networking and online functions). Game devs still tried many different gameplay formulas instead of chasing the most successful only.

VR kinda did and can do it again. Early VR made me feel like I was back in the late 90s, all the new possibilities, experimental games, experimental control schemes. It birthed some awesome new ideas for platformers with Astrobot and Moss and revived the horror genre for me. HL-Alyx showed more possibilities for fps in the future. Puzzle and building games also see great new possibilities in VR and VR is showing new ways to play online together. Or rather different ways than just chasing KD ratios.

The problem is the price and publishers rather chasing easy money instead of continuing to explore the new possibilities VR and motion controls offer. VR still has so much room to grow, but tech needs to advance further first. Lighter, cheaper, better headsets that solve the vergence-accommodation conflict. Yet VR is where the new age of gaming will come from.