Doom 9 9.89%

Super Metroid 10 10.99%

Chrono Trigger 7 7.69%

Super Mario 64 12 13.19%

Final Fantasy VII 13 14.29%

Ocarina of Time 28 30.77%

Age of Empires II 2 2.20%

Total:91

Imo, the 90s were the best decade in gaming and the quality and diversity on display in this poll really displays that. But ofc, my choice for Game of the Decade is Final Fantasy VII.I think at least half the list are worthy winners, but FF7 is truly seminal.

My ranking would be:
1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Super Mario 64
4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- BIG GAP
6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
7. Super Mario World
8. Super Metroid
9. DOOM
10. Age of Empires II

Around the Network

DOOM is the only one of those I actually voted for, so I go with it.

So many great games to pick from. I ultimately went for Ocarina of Time, which just edged out Super Mario 64 and Super Mario World.

The 90s is full of 'Games of the Decade', I mean look at the list. Most of these would win Game of the Decade in any other decade. However, only one can be chosen and it would be a god among gods. Or I should say 'goddess', when the best of these, and my favourite game of all-time, is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, my vote.

Of this list I'd say; Ocarina of Time > Super Mario 64 > A Link to the Past > Super Metroid > Age of Empires II > Doom > Super Mario World > Sonic 2. I haven't played Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger, so I can't rank them myself, but recognise their greatness. Of the 90s as a whole though, my top 10 would be; Ocarina of Time > Super Mario 64 > Yoshi's Island > Link's Awakening > Anno 1602 > Mario Kart 64 > Theme Hospital > MediEvil > Kula World > Star Fox 64 > SimCity 3000 > Asterix > GoldenEye 007 > A Link to the Past > SoulCalibur. Okay that was 15 actually but, yeah, the 90s.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 20 October 2023

I voted Doom. It was very important to popularizing the FPS genre, which has gone on to become one of, if not the most important genres for the gaming business and hobby. It also birthed a significant franchise that is still putting out great games today.

Around the Network

My order of preference for these 10 games today:

1. Super Metroid
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
6. Super Mario 64
7. Doom
8. Sonic 2
9. Super Mario World
10. Age of Empires II <-- Never played it.

My actual top 10 favorites from the '90s:

1. Super Metroid
2. Chop Suey
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. The Longest Journey
5. Chrono Trigger
6. Out of This World
7. The Secret of Monkey Island
8. Day of the Tentacle
9. Final Fantasy VII
10. Grim Fandango

Most culturally impactful games, IMO, by decade:

1970s: Space Invaders
1980s: Super Mario Bros.
1990s: Doom

My favorite games by decade:

1970s: Zork
1980s: The Guardian Legend
1990s: Super Metroid

I have to go with Doom as well as them most influential and ground breaking on the list.

However my top 10 for the 90s is

1. Everquest
2. Half-Life
3. Civilization
4. Grim Fandango
5. Baldur's Gate
6. Metal Gear Solid
7. Ocarina of Time
8. Dune 2
9. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
10. Final Fantasy 7

I wasn't sure how this poll would turn out since in the 80's over 50% of people voted for Mario 3.  This has turned into a very interesting race so far though.  Doom, FF7, and Ocarina are all tied for first place with Mario 64 and Chrono Trigger being not far behind.  It's pretty much impossible to tell how this poll is going to turn out at this point.

The game I enjoy most from this list is Zelda a Link to the Past. It get my vote for best of the decade.

From other games not present in the poll I think I only rank Heroes of Might and Magic 3 higher, but that game is more niche. The first Diablo and Starcraft is among personal favorites that might be more influential and deserving of the title.

The first venture into 3D for Mario, Final Fantasy and Zelda had great impact, but i simply do not like playing those titles as much. And Doom that seems likly to take the titel is of my least liked gaming genre of them all.

I feel good about my vote of Zelda aLttP.

Its one of those decades.