By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Clash of the October 20th titans: Which will sell more, Mario Wonder or Spiderman 2?

Which will sell more?

Super Mario Bros Wonder 126 84.56%

Spiderman 2 23 15.44%

Total:149
CosmicSex said:

What does Nintendo actually get by hiding digital sales? I mean they already do good on the Physical Charts. This only servers to provide less complete chart information which I don't see a beneficial unless I am missing something here.

The correct question to ask is what does Nintendo gain by providing confidential information to a sales tracker that deliberately distorts the reality of the market by using revenue instead of unit sales as their measurement.

It used to be that NPD released top 20 software charts for the month in unit sales and without combining SKUs, meaning that the same game could appear multiple times in the top 20 if it sold well enough on more than one console. For the top 10 games, NPD even provided unit sales rounded to the nearest thousand.

With the DS and Wii Nintendo was so successful that their games occupied the majority of spots on the published software charts. This pissed off AAA third party publishers a lot; they wanted to have more presence, so eventually NPD caved in - because video game publishers are the ones who pay for their full reports and it looks good for shareholders when games chart high - and changed the methodology to combined SKUs for their public software charts to push exclusive games down the list. Later on Minecraft pissed off AAA publishers in a similar way, because it was annoying that an indie game continued to chart while almost all of the big budget productions had a good launch month and then vanished from the charts; NPD reacted to this by moving to revenue-based charts.

If NPD/Circana would still be as transparent nowadays as they used to be - they also published hardware unit sales for all consoles - then I could understand why someone would take issue with Nintendo and a few others not providing digital sales information. But the way Circana runs their business, it's clear that an accurate representation of the market is not their goal, but rather pleasing their biggest clients.

There's no video game publisher as open with their sales data as Nintendo. They provide a lot of information on a quarterly basis regardless of the results being good or bad. Most other publishers don't give updates at all, or if they do, they only mention their success stories. Capcom is the next best company after Nintendo when it comes to publicizing their sales data, but positive examples are really rare in this business.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
pikashoe said:

I feel like you don't actually fully read what you are replying to most of the time. 

In this case you are the one that didn't understand his point.

He isn't saying PS5 sales of SM2 will be dead or even impacted. What he is saying is that whenever Sony give the total sold number it will have PC sales together with the PS5, so unless they give a breakdown we won't be able to tell for sure (and same could happen with a port or whatever for Switch 2 depending on how Nintendo give the sales number).

So he is saying that the comparison will be made for up to 2 years more or less.

I literally mentioned that in my comment. Guys please read what I say before replying.

pikashoe said:
DonFerrari said:

In this case you are the one that didn't understand his point.

He isn't saying PS5 sales of SM2 will be dead or even impacted. What he is saying is that whenever Sony give the total sold number it will have PC sales together with the PS5, so unless they give a breakdown we won't be able to tell for sure (and same could happen with a port or whatever for Switch 2 depending on how Nintendo give the sales number).

So he is saying that the comparison will be made for up to 2 years more or less.

I literally mentioned that in my comment. Guys please read what I say before replying.

Yeah what the hell is going on here?

pikashoe: it will be hard to track the PS5 sales once the PC version releases since Sony will combine sales.

zeldaring: Sony will combine PS5 & PC sales

pikashoe: did you read what I said before responding?

donferrari: no, it’s you who doesn’t understand, he’s saying Sony will combine PS5+PC sales

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
pikashoe said:

pikashoe: it will be hard to track the PS5 sales once the PC version releases since Sony will combine sales.

donferrari: no, it’s you who doesn’t understand, he’s saying Sony will combine PS5+PC sale's

Sounds like a hard case of functional illiteracy.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

zorg1000 said:
pikashoe said:

donferrari: no, it’s you who doesn’t understand, he’s saying Sony will combine PS5+PC sales

Looked the posts and saw pikashoe talking about PS+ and PC killing sales/cutting leg. Missed pikashoe saying it won't be possible to track sales because they will be combined, that was zeldaring comment (the combining making sales not possible to track). I may be wrong, but those were the posts I saw.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Looked the posts and saw pikashoe talking about PS+ and PC killing sales/cutting leg. Missed pikashoe saying it won't be possible to track sales because they will be combined, that was zeldaring comment (the combining making sales not possible to track). I may be wrong, but those were the posts I saw.

pikashoe said:
zeldaring said:

The problem is this thread is only about switch and ps5 so the winner will be determined based on anytime any of these come out with a delux version or spiderman 2 on pc cause once that happens we cant track anymore 

Eh ok, I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said. 

Back to what you said a pc version won't necessarily kill legs on ps5 at least not completely. Plenty of ps5 owners don't game on pc so I don't see how a pc release would kill legs that much. Tge main issue is that once released on pc sony will likely start combining the sales of both.

The first bolded part here had nothing to do with my initial comment about ps plus potentially hurting legs.

He never specified in his first reply whether he meant it would hurt legs or combining sales. The next bolded section is me mentioning Sony combining sales to which he replied about Sony combining sales for some reason. 

Please read fully before replying in future

Can we take amazon UK sales as an accurate reflection of physical sales in the UK? Mario is at 40k+ for the last month SM2 qt 20k+ for the same period.

Switch!!!

It seems highly unlikely as the first 11 days of that period covered the release dates and the majority of sales would have been in that period and we know that Spider-man 2 outsold SMW in physical sales for the month up to October 31st in the UK(from the monthly sales charts). The disparity in sales for the November period would need to be massive to account for that number. It’s much more likely the Amazon is just skewed towards certain systems/games, that Playstation customers are more likely to use dedicated games websites. 

fedfed said:

Can we take amazon UK sales as an accurate reflection of physical sales in the UK? Mario is at 40k+ for the last month SM2 qt 20k+ for the same period.

Amazon has a low market share for PS/Xbox Systems and games and a higher market share for Nintendo stuff.

kazuyamishima said:
fedfed said:

Amazon has a low market share for PS/Xbox Systems and games and a higher market share for Nintendo stuff.

Isn't this just due to digital ratios being higher on PS and Xbox?