By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are physical games eventually going to die?

How do you get your games?

physical only 9 13.04%

Mostly physical 26 37.68%

50-50 11 15.94%

Mostly digital 15 21.74%

Digital only 8 11.59%

Total:69
zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

True.  Having access to over a dozen consoles, thousands of games, saves points, upscaling, stable framerate, button remapping and wireless controller support just is inferior.....

Lol true, and best part is its free and easy. BTW you can also download figncade which has everything instant from dreamcast to arcade games and playable online.

I'm just tired of being expected to re-buy the same game multiple times.  After grabbing chrono trigger on the snes then on the wii....  to now being expected to buy it yet again on steam...  no thanks.  Retroarch it is.  

And having a dozen old systems just isn't practical.  Heck I'm not sure a snes would even connect to my current TV.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It's really not.  There are always tradeoffs and compromises with software emulation.  Always.  

True.  Having access to over a dozen consoles, thousands of games, saves points, upscaling, stable framerate, button remapping and wireless controller support just is inferior.....

I'm glad you agree with me.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Chrkeller said:

I'm glad you agree with me.

There is something  cool about the original experience, I'll give you that.  But retro is pretty damn cool for convenience.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

The_Liquid_Laser said:

You hit the nail on the head.  It's all about game preservation and that is why digital only sucks.  I feel that a person really appreciates physical media when they see a game they really like become no longer available to play.  The digital only movement is really a way to fool younger people who haven't experienced this pain yet.

Digital on PC was more about convenience than consoles, when PC had physical media you also had intrusive DRM schemes (They still exist though), but you also had stupid CD Keys that consoles never had.

Then you had CD Keys+Exclusive game clients/launchers from all the different publishers... And needed to patch games individually from the publishers website.

I used to Install StarCraft: Brood Wars every time I upgraded/reformatted/replaced my PC, so I actually learned my CD Key off by heart... And was required for Battle.net play.

Now it's all in once place on Steam and far less hoops to jump through.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

1)  MMO's that change.  You'll never be able to go back and play the version of the MMO that you really liked, and eventually the servers close and the game is gone for good.  Now realize that this actually applies to any game that relies on a server (like online shooters).  Once that server dependent game is gone.  It's gone.

Sometimes modders/communities band together and re-host old MMO's in their original inception, obviously that can only work on PC...

The_Liquid_Laser said:

3) Retro PC gaming.  It's a pain in the butt if it isn't on gog.com, and even then it isn't perfect.  I've heard people sing the praises of how PC gaming is perfectly backwards compatible, but in my experience that isn't so.  For example, I tried playing my physical version of Freedom Force a couple of years ago, and it didn't work on the current version of Windows.  I did some google searching to find out how to update, but every solution that was claimed to work actually didn't work.  Maybe I could have got it to work if I put several more hours of work into it, but I found it easier to just buy the game again from gog.com.  Even then they don't have the original intro to the game anymore.  That is probably something I will never experience again.  And a lot of old games are not on gog.com.  

Virtual machine is your friend. Perfect backwards compatibility.

Just setup a VM on your desktop, load Windows 98SE (Or whatever OS that is best for that era of games) and bobs your uncle.

Or do what I do... And build an era-correct PC.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Do you know what kind of gaming doesn't have any of these problems?  Console gaming on a pre-internet console.  If I want to play a PS2 game, I just turn on the system and put the disc in and start playing.  It's so easy.  That is the beauty of these old consoles.  But the newer consoles aren't even that great.  Games now require patches and a lot of games are just a disc/cart that let you download the game.  That sucks.  I would totally buy something like a Metal Gear collection if there was no downloading.  But downloading really means there is no game preservation going on.  However, if the game is 100% on your cart or disc then that game is there as long as the physical medium exists.  Your hardware can die and you can replace it and still play the games.

This is the sort of thing we are losing with the push toward digital gaming.

Games are also ballooning in size... It makes it hard to fit a game on disc/cart these days when the media itself hasn't actually kept up with increased data sizes.

We need a successor to Blu-Ray.

Chrkeller said:

And having a dozen old systems just isn't practical.  Heck I'm not sure a snes would even connect to my current TV.  

Component/Composite to HDMI adapters exist, even a scaler would be a good choice.

However older games that used CRT's unique "behaviours" to make effects like translucent water by checkerboarding the sprite and the display naturally blurring the pixels will never look great on a modern display anyway.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

If the consoles go digital, I will be gaming on PC exclusively. More freedom.

Around the Network

Digital is the best way to preserve games

The servers going down is a non issue the source code and files still exist. As long the company wants to keep selling them, they will sell them and if the company is over they can make the game available to download for free. And if they still refuse? Don't worry the fans will upload it themselves for free ;)

To preserve physical games it's required tovkeep producing physical copies forever and keep them in stores, this is literally impossible

The concern about not being able to play games on consoles exists because consoles are worst way to preserve games. They are closed platforms which means when they want to shut down stores they will and there is nothing else left for you to do

Do you know what are the only games are lost in my life? They are not digital, they are my PS2 and DS collections because I no longer have the hardware to play them. They are not available. The discs and cards are literally useless. You can argue I can get an overpriced 3DS, but for how long? (Lack of) Avaibality for older consoles is much more common than finding some old game on Steam and seeing them being removed from stores

Because of digital I can listen to albums and watch movies that I otherwise would never be able to listen or watch because they used to sell so little the company never bothered to keep producing them. This is true preservation.

Of course this do not apply to multi-player games, however online multi-player games REQUIRES the server to be kept alive in any case. You can put all the game in a disk like in Splatoon, the day Nintendo decides they no longer want to keep the servers on it's over. But you see? It's no a problem with the storage, it's something intrinsic with the kind of game. However just because something is not infinite doesn't mean it doesn't hold value. Concerts and acts are available in their original states for only as long the performers are active, preservation should not be a concern in this case because the art is supposed to be ephemeral. Don't you like it? Sad for you I guess

Chrkeller said:

I'm just tired of being expected to re-buy the same game multiple times.  After grabbing chrono trigger on the snes then on the wii....  to now being expected to buy it yet again on steam...  no thanks.  Retroarch it is.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I expect physical sales to become fairly niche - always will be a market but won't be enough to sustain Gamestop (dedicated)-type stores.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

I'm surprised that so many on this poll are physical-only or mostly physical. Then again, perhaps it's the very nature of the thread. I feel like physical copy enthusiasts are more interested in discussing its unfortunate decline and demise than mostly digital players.
And those who voted for all physical or mostly physical surely play few indies. Independent games tend to get limited physical releases that can get expensive, especially when sold by resellers.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Pemalite said:

Games are also ballooning in size... It makes it hard to fit a game on disc/cart these days when the media itself hasn't actually kept up with increased data sizes.

We need a successor to Blu-Ray.

Digital killed the research into HVD :/

The Holographic Versatile Disc is an optical disc technology that was expected to store up to several terabytes of data on an optical disc 10 cm or 12 cm in diameter. Its development commenced in April 2004, but it never arrived due to lack of funding. The company responsible for HVD went bankrupt in 2010. Wikipedia
Capacity: 3.9 TB

Sony opted for a higher density blu-ray instead, only doubling its capacity.

https://www.tech-faq.com/hvd.html
Killed by non forward thinking, need cheap solution now. So we're stuck with big HDD banks. WD is up to 22TB now but only up to 265 MB/s transfer speed. Which is still a lot more than the backup drives I use. Last time I made a carbon copy of my 1.4TB backup took almost 24 hours :/