SMB2/Doli Doki Panic 5 13.51%

Mega Man 4 10.81%

Phantasy Star 7 18.92%

Sid Meier's Pirates 3 8.11%

Ys I 0 0%

Total:37
Jaicee said:
Machina said:

Really enjoyed Double Dragon as a kid, so it gets my vote. Unfortunately I never played any of the others.

Not even Super Mario Bros. 2? That surprises me. I thought just about everyone had played that game at some point in their lives.

The early Nintendo home consoles were never that popular in Europe; neither I nor any of my friends owned any of them up until the N64 (and that was rare - my first Nintendo home console was the Wii for example). I didn't even know Mario platformers existed until I saw someone playing what must have been Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on a GBC during a school trip.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I got my 80286 (with a VGA GPU, 40MB HDD, 2MB memory, 5.25 and 3.5 inches floppy drives, Soundblaster soundcard and Joystickport, all from a PC they exchanged with the new 486 in the bank my dad worked. Still wonder what they were doing with that Joystick port in a bank, though...) in 1989, so Stunts was just around the corner. I got Test drive first, but it was testing my nerves and driving me crazy more than anything at the time.

I was spoiled as a kid since my dad worked for Philips' software division in the 80s. We had a 8086 PC at home which he had bought himself, and next to it the latest PC model from work to work at home. Thus we also had the latest modem. Remote work in the 80s (well off hours, next to regular work hours at the office) It never came with a joystick port though haha.

So I played on 8086, 80286, 386dx, 486, 486dx2-66 before buying my own PC. (I started with a Pentium 90)
And he also got lots of games from work, well not from work, from co-workers. And I downloaded more from BBS.

I first played Test Drive on the 8086, CGA although the monitor could only display black, green and bright green. My dad had some jumpers on the cable so you could choose which 2 'colors' were merged together. It ran like crap, but I loved it. That sound though...

Imagine that noise through the PC speaker (no sound card)

I'm not proud to say that few of us that had Amiga or Atari ST were not so kind to our friends who were gaming on PC back in 80s. Solid part of it was due to sound.

Played all alternatives except Shinobi and Nethack. Enjoyed all i played except Zelda 2.
But for me this is a very easy year to pick. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! a game I get the urge to play now and then even after so many years.

Machina said:

The early Nintendo home consoles were never that popular in Europe; neither I nor any of my friends owned any of them up until the N64 (and that was rare - my first Nintendo home console was the Wii for example). I didn't even know Mario platformers existed until I saw someone playing what must have been Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on a GBC during a school trip.

Same in the Netherlands where I grew up. Nintendo didn't really get that popular until the N64. My nephews had a SNES, no one else I knew back then had one. C64 and MSX were more popular. Systems where you only needed a dual tape deck to copy games from friends!

HoloDust said:

I'm not proud to say that few of us that had Amiga or Atari ST were not so kind to our friends who were gaming on PC back in 80s. Solid part of it was due to sound.

One of my close friends had C64 and Amgia 500. I spend a lot of time there. Before Soundblaster and VGA PC was not all that pretty. By the 90s PC got better and sadly Amiga 500 lost steam. It's successors never gained much traction. My friend switched to PC in the 90s. I remember taking a suitcase full of 3.5" disks over to this place to copy hundreds of games to get him started.

And yep, great sound on Amiga. He also had a Gameshark thingie for the Amiga (dunno what it was called back then) so you could easily track a couple parameters in memory (health, armor, ammo, lives) and alter them while playing. No need to download 'trainers' as on PC or hex edit savegames to cheat.

Pajderman said:

Played all alternatives except Shinobi and Nethack. Enjoyed all i played except Zelda 2.
But for me this is a very easy year to pick. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! a game I get the urge to play now and then even after so many years.

I voted Contra but I agree with your point entirely. MT’s Punch Out!! Is the most playable still today. I prefer it over other boxing games. Easy for passing the controller between friends as well. 

Around the Network

Maniac Mansion or Sid Meier's Pirates!

As much as I do love this Mario 2, I have to give it to Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! Far better than the arcade games and supremely playable, its deceptively deep game play is another fine example of how far ahead Nintendo was at the time.

Phantasy Star would be third for me that year; one of the few games on the Master System that could take me away from my NES.  Fantastic game and my favorite role-playing series of the '80s.

Last edited by archbrix - on 21 September 2023

The "Other" category ended up with enough votes for a runoff.  The final results of the runoff will be decided tonight, Thursday, Sept 21 at 11:59 PM EST.

Here is the new list of choices.  We are keeping these candidates:

Contra
Final Fantasy
Maniac Mansion
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
SMB2/Doki Doki Panic

We are adding the following based on "Other" votes from the comments:
Mega Man
Phantasy Star
Sid Meier's Pirates
Ys

I'll update the OP shortly.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 21 September 2023

Machina said:
Jaicee said:

Not even Super Mario Bros. 2? That surprises me. I thought just about everyone had played that game at some point in their lives.

Wow! I knew the early Nintendo systems didn't catch on in Europe, but it still surprises me that one wouldn't have played any version of it before in 2023. I mean the Wii had it on its Virtual Console, there was a Super Mario Bros. All-Stars re-release on the Wii, and there are streaming versions of both games on the Switch's online service now and all. Well I guess when there's no tradition there to begin with, perhaps it sparks less curiosity.

Anyway, the hook of Super Mario Bros. 2 that distinguishes it from other entries in the mainline Super Mario titles is its emphasis on vertical scrolling: climbing uphill toward or into the sky, digging deep underground, this sort of thing, in addition to the usual side-scrolling. You pick up and toss vegetables and many enemy characters and have four selectable protagonists to choose from (Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Princess Toadstood (as she was still called back then)), each with their own distinctive skill sets. There was no two-player mode though, or a save feature in the original version. It was an especially unique entry in the franchise owing mostly to the fact that it was actually just a version of another, rather unique game (Doki Doki Panic) that had been altered to use the Mario cast.

Very happy to have this runoff and especially Phantasy Star's early lead! Let's bring it home, Sega

Last edited by Dreamcaster999 - on 21 September 2023