By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - F-Freaking Zero is BACK!

Will you play F-Zero 99?

Fuck yeah!!!! 21 46.67%

Nah, looks fugly 10 22.22%

Maybe I'll give it a try 14 31.11%

Total:45

Am I the only one who wishes the side attack was available in F-Zero 99? I don't find the spin attack as effective at smashing the other cars.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

Am I the only one who wishes the side attack was available in F-Zero 99? I don't find the spin attack as effective at smashing the other cars.

Now you made me yearn for a new Burnout title... and then a Burnout 99 title...

Now, I have a question.
So people actually like Mute City?

I ask the question before poisoning the well, because this is my least favourite track of the bunch. I’m wondering if it’s actually liked by most people, or if this is one of those “let’s keep voting for the worst one” memes. The only track I’ve seen beat it is Big Blue, and even then it’s like 1 out of every 5 times they’re up against each other… Big Blue, on the other hand, might be the most fun of the tracks because of the speed you can build up on top of having some complexity… Mute city is the opposite, simple and slow.

Right now I’d probably rank the tracks as follows:
—The tracks I really like—
1. Silence (tie)
1. Big Blue (tie)
3. Port Town
4. Sand Ocean
——— neutral opinion ———
5. White Land
——— the ones I don’t like so much ———
6. Death Wind
7. Mute City

Dislike is a bit strong as I still enjoy the race, I just prefer not to be on those bottom three tracks. If Mute City was less frequent I’d probably like Death Wind the least as it’s an obnoxiously simple track plus annoyances in the form of wind. Mute City is simplistic, and it has some annoying bits, mainly the part you have to boost through to stay competitive, and it more or less depends on you getting lucky enough to land a KO at the line on lap 3 if you want to get first—it’s probable that you can get first otherwise, but this is the only way I’ve done it and it’s all mostly chance. Silence I might only be enjoying so much because it’s the rarest track, only playable on Practice Mode and as the final track of the GP, but it’s a lot of fun and it feels like tight skills with timing and physics count for a lot more on this one than other tracks. Port Town, Sand Ocean, and White Land also have a lot of physics and timing - I dislike White Land specifically because I’m not a fan of the sliding (and find it annoying), but the complexity of the track makes up for it a degree, as I find myself still having fun at parts.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Now you made me yearn for a new Burnout title... and then a Burnout 99 title...

Maybe the side attack will be added in an update if we're lucky. I'm kinda tired of not being able to make the other players crash as often as they do me.

Also, all the racers exploding but showing up alive and well afterwards makes me think you have to be augmented to get superpowers if you wanna be an F-Zero driver.

Four new tracks available + Queen Cup.
They’re all good so far. I like Mute City 2 WAY more than the first one. Not sure my rankings yet. I plan to play a lot this weekend, though.

Around the Network

Snatched a win on Mute City II! 10 wins in total so far.

I feel like the player base is shrinking fast though. Had quite a few times where the game couldn't find 99 players and filled the lobby with bots. =/

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I was last place for total points of all survivors in every race of my latest Queen Cup… I figured I should deserve some kind of survivor badge :D

Continuously last place, and yet still 16th out of 99 in the end :D
620 points.

And I just got third place for the Queen Cup GP, most improved player :D

892 points.

Some tips for the tournament 

1. A popular strategy is to bumper beat by smashing up grey bumpers to get that power bar maxed early on - don’t do this, the sacrifice means you won’t place high in the early races of the cup. These early races are the most important to place highly in. Finishing in the top 5 in races 1 and 2 means that you’re likely beat your bumper beating opponents who got like 73rd and 38th on the first two races. The amount of ground they have to pick up in race 3-5 will not be enough because they’ll be hundreds of points behind.

2. If you’re good enough to finish most GPs, the later races in the cup are easier because of fewer players, you’re guaranteed to rank more highly.

3. The best place to pick up KOs is in the last 2-4 seconds of race 1 and 2. Many cars are near empty on power, boost or spin into them.

4. Don’t worry as much about getting KOs as finishing in every race. But KOs help.

5. you’re more likely to place high if you’re ranking high by the end of the second lap, so try to boost up there. If you’re behind in the 3rd and 4th your boosts are unlikely to clear through the masses of wavy drivers in front of you - I mean, it’s possible, just less likely. Usually if I’m below 50th by lap 4, even a full power bar and a sky run won’t get me to the top 5. But starting lap 4 in 5th place will mean only red and grey bumpers, driving mostly straight, and a few contenders to deal with - who are also driving mostly straight/optimal.

To talk about points on the cup, during the first race, placing badly means you fall behind (potentially) over 100 points behind the top players. Placing at the very bottom of the pack of surviving racers in the final two races means you’ll be no more than 40 points behind the top racer, and probably less than that. So a poor placing on race 1 will do more damage than among the worst places (short of crashing/DQ) in the final two races combined. If you’re score is too low (like mine was in my first cup of the evening), then your best hope for advancing up the ranks is for your opponents with higher points to get DQd or crash.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 30 September 2023

I've finally been getting the hang of the Golden Fox. ^^

Has this happened to any of you?