By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple iPhone 15 Pro Will Have Console Games (RE4R, RE Village, Assassin's Creed, DS)

Touch controls, low fps, small screen and eat up storage space. I'll keep my ps5.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Leynos said:

OOOH a Mac the computer 7% of people use and fewer than that game on and even less paying for old ports. So we are looking at a whopping 0.0004% of playing old ports. That will be the boost to end consoles!

I didn't say it would increase the amount of people, I'm just saying that those would be much more willing to pay those $$$ than pure mobile games. The total sales would still be very low probably, just not laughably low anymore if that's the case.

Indeed. My oldest has a Macbook pro for school, he will welcome more compatible games for Mac. He currently mostly plays Albion on his macbook and phone. Yet Rust and Rocket League on PS5 still get far more attention.

More competition is good, unless Apple also goes on a buying spree like MS :/

Cool, after all the weird hardware discussions during the past week we've now reached the point where we are supposed to take Apple in gaming seriously.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Just thinking about playing those games on touch screen makes me cringe. Hard pass.

But this is where the Backbone would come in handy if I were to play on the iPhone.

RolStoppable said:

Cool, after all the weird hardware discussions during the past week we've now reached the point where we are supposed to take Apple in gaming seriously.

By next week, Kellogg's will be entering the competitive field of video games with their iconic cereal mascots, Sam the Toucan and Tony the Tiger !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

I think what people aren't getting is this means you're going to probably have iPads starting even this year, but almost definitely next year which can run potentially even PS5 level games. The M2 chip may already be good enough to do it, but if it's not the M3 chip coming next year probably will be. So theoretically you'll be able play console games on this too:

And yes that is a Dual Sense controller, Apple even sells them directly from their stores. That experience will be much more akin to a Steam Deck or Switch. 

The chip in the iPhone is cool and all, but the M1/M2 chips that are in Apple iPads and Macbooks is considerably more powerful and M1 Max/M2 Max chips would be able to run PS5 games outright. Keep in mind too these Apple chips have machine learning upsampling just like Nvidia's DLSS too, so they can render from a lower resolution and display at a higher output.

The M chips are really, really impressive, since switching their own silicon Apple is making chips that are like desk top GPU quality but don't use anywhere close to the same amount of electricity.

A few months ago Apple announced a Game Porting Tool for game developers aimed at letting developers port their Direct X 11/12 games (meaning basically PS5/XSX titles from PC) to run on Apple silicon (M-series chips, A-series chips). This is not a consumer tool, this is meant for developers to be able to see how much work they would need to do to port a game, but some people have been using it like an emulator to run PC games on their M-series Macs (I wouldn't recommend that, it's not what it's designed to do):

So what is probably going to happen is developers will start making ports just for all Apple silicon chips. That port can then work on a Macbook laptop, a Mac Mini, an Apple TV, an iPad, and yes iPhone too, with scaling adjustments. That's what I don't think people are not understanding. It's not just an "iPhone port with touch controls!". You're gonna have one port and it will have fidelity of the PC or XSX/PS5 or better on the top end and then scale down to the iPhone which will probably be PS4++ fidelity. 

I think really for iPad this is going to be something Apple pushes. iPad is rumored to be getting a big refresh next year with OLED displays and if you put an M3 chip in there ... welp, you're gonna have a gorgeous gaming device and you can play that game on your iPhone 15 Pro too, so it can have a lot of that Switch or Steam Deck type functionality of "your game is always with you" but probably even moreso. People carry their iPhone everywhere, a Switch or Steam Deck not so much. Apple isn't happy with iPad shipments being "only" 50 million/year (lol), people have been asking why they are putting M1/M2 chips into iPad's since it's performance overkill for a tablet ... well I think gaming is the answer. They plan to start making a push into traditional gaming. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 13 September 2023

Those announcements by Apple will make games development shift more towards the ARM side and less on the X86 PC side. Yes, they will benefit Nintendo systems a lot, with tons of third party games coming in the future. Nevertheless, Nintendo is in a safe position, first and foremost because it's the number one game development company in the world, I mean as a videogames producer, based on actual games sales data and company earnings. Furthermore, they have expanded smartly in new areas such as Cinema and Theme Parks.

Sony's business will be at risk, PlayStation brand is becoming less and less appealing year after year.
Heck, it's half 2023 and I'm still playing PS4 level games on my PS5.

For Microsoft, it's a battle of OS and architecture, Windows vs MacOS, x86 vs ARM.
Xbox is irrelevant in this future, as a platform.

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 13 September 2023

JimmyFantasy said:

Those announcements by Apple will make games development shift more towards the ARM side and less on the X86 PC side. Yes, they will benefit Nintendo systems a lot, with tons of third party games coming in the future. Nevertheless, Nintendo is in a safe position, first and foremost because it's the number one game development company in the world, as a videogame producer, given actual games sell data and company earnings. Furthermore, they have expanded smartly in new areas such as Cinema and Theme Parks.

Sony's business will be at risk, PlayStation brand is becoming less and less appealing year after year.
Heck, it's half 2023 and I'm still playing PS4 level games on my PS5.

For Microsoft, it's a battle of OS and architecture, Windows vs MacOS, x86 vs ARM. Xbox is irrelevant in this future, as a platform.

Yes it could be good for Nintendo in the sense that it seals the deal with devs making ports. 

If you're Nintendo you want this probably to be successful to some degree, but not so successful that too many people start using their iPad/iPhone to game on. 

It's kind of a delicate balance, heh. It likely could push things like GTA6 and NHL and other types of games that always seem to skip Nintendo platforms to be ported. And probably vice versa too ... if you have a Switch 2 3rd party game, you might as well make an Apple silicon version too. Both platforms could help each other. But as I said, you probably don't want it getting *too* popular on Apple products, because then yeah it does become a potential competitor.  

If people get too used to the idea of just being able to play the latest, biggest 3rd party game on their iPad or Mac Mini or Macbook at home and then also continue to play on their iPhone anywhere they want, but also be able to to take their iPad and have fantastic graphics on a large display for use on an airplane, bus, etc. ... all three console manufacturers could be affected. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 13 September 2023

It's not a real threat until KFC releases its gaming console. If Dominoes releases a console with a pizza button. It's over for everyone!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Soundwave said:

I think what people aren't getting is this means you're going to probably have iPads starting even this year, but almost definitely next year which can run potentially even PS5 level games. The M2 chip may already be good enough to do it, but if it's not the M3 chip coming next year probably will be. So theoretically you'll be able play console games on this too:

And yes that is a Dual Sense controller, Apple even sells them directly from their stores. That experience will be much more akin to a Steam Deck or Switch. 

The chip in the iPhone is cool and all, but the M1/M2 chips that are in Apple iPads and Macbooks is considerably more powerful and M1 Max/M2 Max chips would be able to run PS5 games outright. Keep in mind too these Apple chips have machine learning upsampling just like Nvidia's DLSS too, so they can render from a lower resolution and display at a higher output.

The M chips are really, really impressive, since switching their own silicon Apple is making chips that are like desk top GPU quality but don't use anywhere close to the same amount of electricity.

A few months ago Apple announced a Game Porting Tool for game developers aimed at letting developers port their Direct X 11/12 games (meaning basically PS5/XSX titles from PC) to run on Apple silicon (M-series chips, A-series chips). This is not a consumer tool, this is meant for developers to be able to see how much work they would need to do to port a game, but some people have been using it like an emulator to run PC games on their M-series Macs (I wouldn't recommend that, it's not what it's designed to do):

So what is probably going to happen is developers will start making ports just for all Apple silicon chips. That port can then work on a Macbook laptop, a Mac Mini, an Apple TV, an iPad, and yes iPhone too, with scaling adjustments. That's what I don't think people are not understanding. It's not just an "iPhone port with touch controls!". You're gonna have one port and it will have fidelity of the PC or XSX/PS5 or better on the top end and then scale down to the iPhone which will probably be PS4++ fidelity. 

I think really for iPad this is going to be something Apple pushes. iPad is rumored to be getting a big refresh next year with OLED displays and if you put an M3 chip in there ... welp, you're gonna have a gorgeous gaming device and you can play that game on your iPhone 15 Pro too, so it can have a lot of that Switch or Steam Deck type functionality of "your game is always with you" but probably even moreso. People carry their iPhone everywhere, a Switch or Steam Deck not so much. Apple isn't happy with iPad shipments being "only" 50 million/year (lol), people have been asking why they are putting M1/M2 chips into iPad's since it's performance overkill for a tablet ... well I think gaming is the answer. They plan to start making a push into traditional gaming. 

Believe it when I see it.  Some fall for hype, others don't.  

If a mobile device can match a console 10x bigger abd 10x more power hungry that will be revolutionary and will be welcomed...  but I remain skeptical until tech analysis is done on an actual market game.  

My skepticism is driven by people thinking strong hardware is simply "GPU."  Read speeds, memory speeds, ram, storage, etc....  strong hardware is about balance.

iPad pro is also $1200 with 256 gb storage which will hold a whopping 2 to 5 games.  

And don't forget when you run out of storage the solution is to buy new iPad because Apple doesn't allow for SD support.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 13 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED