By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Switch 2 has 12GB RAM and 512GB internal storage

These specs would be...

better than I've expected 33 66.00%

about what I've expected 14 28.00%

worse than I've expected 3 6.00%

Total:50
eddy7eddy said:

What about NVMe SSD on Switch like the ones on Steam Deck? They are getting pretty cheap and can match PS5/XboX speeds.

I would Buy a 128GB Switch 2 if it's cheaper and then put a 512/1024 GB NVMe SSD

Don't sell here I think will need to import, with international shipping + taxes (also applied on shipping) it would still be at least 120 USD :/ 

Found it o  Amazon markplace for resellers though. 134 USD for the card + shipping

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Chrkeller said:

Wow, the Switch has 10 gb games!??!  

Final Fantasy Intergrade is literally 100 gb.

If the rumors are true and the switch is going to run ps4 to ps5 games....  128 gb isn't in the ballpark of being enough.  I have over 2 TB worth of ps4 games and over 1 tb in ps5 games.  

I don't think you understand how massive modern games are.

Either way I can't wait till this thing is announced.  Going to be a lot of disappointed people in my opinion.  

And I've had a switch since launch and have over 40 games.  It is my favorite system.

I'm just curious how Nintendo handles AAA ps5 games with cartridges given file size and required speeds.  Could be costly venture to developers.

Indeed they are massive, and this is why I also worry if they don't provide enough internal space as I don't think an SD card will be fast enough transfer speeds for next get games. Look at how the consoles bumped up their storage speed too, so Nintendo may have to do the same to counter act it. Perhaps the game carts will be super fast. I always wished that the new carts had enough space to also install the same files and patches on them.  Would be nice to also see an external backup solution like the WiiU had

Transfer speeds are a concern of mine as well.  I could see that being a bottleneck for the switch.  I think the switch 2 will be a power and worth buying, but I think there are a lot of potential bottlenecks people aren't considering when compared to current generation home hardware.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

IcaroRibeiro said:
eddy7eddy said:

What about NVMe SSD on Switch like the ones on Steam Deck? They are getting pretty cheap and can match PS5/XboX speeds.

I would Buy a 128GB Switch 2 if it's cheaper and then put a 512/1024 GB NVMe SSD

Don't sell here I think will need to import, with international shipping + taxes (also applied on shipping) it would still be at least 120 USD :/ 

Found it o  Amazon markplace for resellers though. 134 USD for the card + shipping

That is actually pretty cool didn't realise they made them that small lol.

In theory Nintendo could make something similar that is hot swappable via a port and they slap on a Nintendo logo on it and people will just pay the price lol. 

IcaroRibeiro said:

Regarding the storage 

If it comes with only 128 gb of storage it can be as well as having storage only for the SO and saving files because 128 is as good as nothing considering the size of games nowadays...

I believe people are forgetting with the size of games getting bigger they will need more expensive cartridges. What I believe it will happen is they will no longer be able to fit all their games in cartridges, likely needing to store part of the games on the console which will need more storage 

I don't know how much it costs in your countries but 1 TB SD card from SanDisk can go as far as 140 USD. 512 are around 80 USD. I get you guys are thinking "but you already is buying SD Cards for base Switch", well yes but a simple 128 card (20 USD at time) was enough for my Switch with games being smaller and cartridges often having the full games. The idea everybody already has SD cards and taking from granted people will happily keep buying them is misguided because Switch games are much much smaller than the current AAA third party game sizes. This will no longer be true 

Unless devs start compressing the games better I fear that I will need at least 512 GB for a library even uninstalling games periodically. This is the storage of the least expensive PS4 model way back in 2023

Having this storage in the base system would be fantastic and make me save tons of money. I hope this rumors are true. I'm sure Nintendo can get internal storage for much cheaper prices than the final consumer could ever. 

I am not sure if Nintendo will need more expensive game cards. Each generation since the introduction of cards on the DS, they've been using a more modern variant that was able to provide more storage capacity for roughly the same price as before. Additionally, due to raised game prices on the PS5, it wouldn't be an issue for Switch 2 games to cost $10 more than Switch games whenever a high capacity card is needed to store the whole game on it.

On Switch most of Nintendo's games have been 5 to 10 GB in size with just a few going above 10 GB, hence why 16 GB cards have been sufficient for first party games all generation long. On Switch 2 Nintendo's own games may double in size, but cards in the sizes of 16 GB and 32 GB will be absolutely no problem. When it comes to third party games, their sizes are usually largely inflated because consumer-friendliness isn't something they do on PS and Xbox. People keep falling for this time and time again, such as only a year ago when Persona 5 Royal was coming to Switch with its 50-something GB and a lot of people were concerned; Atlus/Sega put the whole game on a 16 GB card without problems. This isn't magic, it's just doing the normal work.

Beyond the above, people are getting carried away by these rumored specs. Just because AAA third party games could be ported to Switch doesn't even remotely mean that any given third party will actually do it, because a lot of AAA publishers have a long history of not bringing games over despite the absence of technological problems. The point is, it's a waste to worry about games that won't come to Switch 2 anyway, regardless of what Switch 2's specifications are.

The bottom line is that the majority of gamers still doesn't really grasp that today's game cards are not like the cartridges all the way up to the GBA. Technically, a card is a type of cartridge, but in the practical sense it's very different because high capacities are feasible at low prices. So whenever someone says "cartridge" or "cart" when refering to Switch's storage medium, there's a high chance that they do not really know what they are talking about.

DS: 8 to 512 MB (so up to 0.5 GB)
3DS: 1 GB to 8 GB
Switch: 1 GB to 64 GB

The maximum capacity for each console was rarely used, if at all. So in practical terms, its half the maximum theoretical size that was used for the biggest games on the respective systems.

It shouldn't be expected that this scales linearily from gen to gen (3DS was a theoretical increase of x16 for the maximum capacity, Switch an increase of x8, so Switch 2 would be x4), but doubling Switch should be doable for Switch 2, resulting in 32 GB and 64 GB being commonly used. Factor in data compression and where's the problem of too little storage then? It will be the same as on Switch where it comes down to the unwillingness of any given third party to be consumer-friendly and do what's realistically possible. It's a third party problem, not a console manufacturer problem.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Regarding the storage 

If it comes with only 128 gb of storage it can be as well as having storage only for the SO and saving files because 128 is as good as nothing considering the size of games nowadays...

I believe people are forgetting with the size of games getting bigger they will need more expensive cartridges. What I believe it will happen is they will no longer be able to fit all their games in cartridges, likely needing to store part of the games on the console which will need more storage 

I don't know how much it costs in your countries but 1 TB SD card from SanDisk can go as far as 140 USD. 512 are around 80 USD. I get you guys are thinking "but you already is buying SD Cards for base Switch", well yes but a simple 128 card (20 USD at time) was enough for my Switch with games being smaller and cartridges often having the full games. The idea everybody already has SD cards and taking from granted people will happily keep buying them is misguided because Switch games are much much smaller than the current AAA third party game sizes. This will no longer be true 

Unless devs start compressing the games better I fear that I will need at least 512 GB for a library even uninstalling games periodically. This is the storage of the least expensive PS4 model way back in 2023

Having this storage in the base system would be fantastic and make me save tons of money. I hope this rumors are true. I'm sure Nintendo can get internal storage for much cheaper prices than the final consumer could ever. 

I am not sure if Nintendo will need more expensive game cards. Each generation since the introduction of cards on the DS, they've been using a more modern variant that was able to provide more storage capacity for roughly the same price as before. Additionally, due to raised game prices on the PS5, it wouldn't be an issue for Switch 2 games to cost $10 more than Switch games whenever a high capacity card is needed to store the whole game on it.

On Switch most of Nintendo's games have been 5 to 10 GB in size with just a few going above 10 GB, hence why 16 GB cards have been sufficient for first party games all generation long. On Switch 2 Nintendo's own games may double in size, but cards in the sizes of 16 GB and 32 GB will be absolutely no problem. When it comes to third party games, their sizes are usually largely inflated because consumer-friendliness isn't something they do on PS and Xbox. People keep falling for this time and time again, such as only a year ago when Persona 5 Royal was coming to Switch with its 50-something GB and a lot of people were concerned; Atlus/Sega put the whole game on a 16 GB card without problems. This isn't magic, it's just doing the normal work.

Beyond the above, people are getting carried away by these rumored specs. Just because AAA third party games could be ported to Switch doesn't even remotely mean that any given third party will actually do it, because a lot of AAA publishers have a long history of not bringing games over despite the absence of technological problems. The point is, it's a waste to worry about games that won't come to Switch 2 anyway, regardless of what Switch 2's specifications are.

The bottom line is that the majority of gamers still doesn't really grasp that today's game cards are not like the cartridges all the way up to the GBA. Technically, a card is a type of cartridge, but in the practical sense it's very different because high capacities are feasible at low prices. So whenever someone says "cartridge" or "cart" when refering to Switch's storage medium, there's a high chance that they do not really know what they are talking about.

The maximum capacity for each console was rarely used, if at all. So in practical terms, its half the maximum theoretical size that was used for the biggest games on the respective systems.

It shouldn't be expected that this scales linearily from gen to gen (3DS was a theoretical increase of x16 for the maximum capacity, Switch an increase of x8, so Switch 2 would be x4), but doubling Switch should be doable for Switch 2, resulting in 32 GB and 64 GB being commonly used. Factor in data compression and where's the problem of too little storage then? It will be the same as on Switch where it comes down to the unwillingness of any given third party to be consumer-friendly and do what's realistically possible. It's a third party problem, not a console manufacturer problem.

The Witcher Wild Hunt is 24 GB with reduced resolution assets. If the new system is supposed to run with PS4 level of specs then I expect something around the original 42 of the original PS4 (GOTY version with DLC included, same version of Switch). This is not a game that looks poorly compressed in either system, definitely not the case of Persona 5 which was inflated by having dozen of hours of audio and cutscenes that could be compressed by simple compression techniques and/or by removing the mandatory download of some audio languages. After all Persona 5 still a PS3 game and having 16 GB is not an issue by any means 

PS4 levels of graphical fidelity is another thing. I'm fullying expecting the games to come from 10 GB all way up to 60 GB. 

Anyway your argument seems to assume 3rd parties won't join Switch 2, which I disagree. 3rd party support will be much better for Switch 2 than it was from base Switch, as now third parties recovered their confidence on Nintendo and are willing to release late ports for the base Switch I believe they will embrace Switch 2 wince launch 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
RolStoppable said:

The Witcher Wild Hunt is 24 GB with reduced resolution assets. If the new system is supposed to run with PS4 level of specs then I expect something around the original 42 of the original PS4 (GOTY version with DLC included, same version of Switch). This is not a game that looks poorly compressed in either system, definitely not the case of Persona 5 which was inflated by having dozen of hours of audio and cutscenes that could be compressed by simple compression techniques and/or by removing the mandatory download of some audio languages. After all Persona 5 still a PS3 game and having 16 GB is not an issue by any means 

PS4 levels of graphical fidelity is another thing. I'm fullying expecting the games to come from 10 GB all way up to 60 GB. 

Anyway your argument seems to assume 3rd parties won't join Switch 2, which I disagree. 3rd party support will be much better for Switch 2 than it was from base Switch, as now third parties recovered their confidence on Nintendo and are willing to release late ports for the base Switch I believe they will embrace Switch 2 wince launch 

Still one of the main point here is that, by simply doing their job by compressing and optimizing their games without too many compromises, those games shall fit the new 32GB/64GB mark for next gen cards.

Of course, are we to believe most AAA western won't actually try to reduce the cost by opting for partial downloading of their games ? I have almost no confidence to not do as such lol.

Last edited by Mar1217 - on 11 September 2023

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

IcaroRibeiro said:

Regarding the storage 

Switch only has 32gb. Next gen having 128gb wouldn't put it in any worse position than Switch's 32gb. Games are getting bigger, and a 4x increase in internal storage certainly accounts for that. Nintendo is not going to make the system more expensive when the Switch market already knows they are going to have to buy an SD card.

128gb wasn't much for Switch games. I got a 200gb in 2017, but had to get a new 400gb last year and switch over to that. 1 TB are currently expensive but 512gb are pretty affordable, and Switch 2 is likely just over a year away. And likely most people who get it within the first few months will just be moving the SD card they use with the Switch to the Switch 2 and keep using it. By like two years from now a 1 TB card will probably be pretty affordable and will allow for many many games to be stored on it.

And also of course next gen game card storage sizes will be larger to accommodate larger games. Switch game cards go all the way up to 64gb and there's only a handful of games larger than 32gb, while most large AAA games are like 8gb - 16gb. Even if next gen game cards only get twice as big up to 128gb that is plenty big to handle the games. Being forced to download parts of games despite buying the physical game is not going to be a problem with the vast majority of games. Likely most AAA games are going to be 20/30/40 gb. 128gb internal storage will be plenty, and then if you mostly buy physical but occasionally do digital just get a cheap 512gb SD card, for me as I mostly do digital a 1 TB card would be plenty and likely won't cost that much by two years from now, and I guess I'd keep all my Switch games on my current 400gb card and just switch out cards when I want to play Switch games on it.

Makes a lot more sense for Nintendo to provide just enough storage in the system to keep cost down and then allow the use to purchase SD card storage based on their digital download needs. That was their strategy with the Switch and no doubt it will be their strategy again.

Cobretti2 said:
V-r0cK said:

I only have 2 request...
1) no more issues like the joycon drift
2) any "physical" collections coming to Nintendo's new system to have all the games on the cartridge and not some bs where you get 1 game on cartridge then download the rest.

I reckon I passed on about 50 games and collections because of the second point.

I don't blame you. I've passed on many as well.  I would've wanted to pick up the Batman Arkham collection and MGS collection but I wont anymore for that reason.

Slownenberg said:

Likely most AAA games are going to be 20/30/40 gb. 128gb internal storage will be plenty.

3 games = Plenty? 

I mean, I have purchased a SSD card for Switch one month after buying a Switch but it was literal pennies and was still enough for 4 years purchasing games as I'm still.able to keep 15 to 20 installed when combined with the internal storage 

With Switch 2 being only 128 GB and games being 4 times bigger it means that I will need at least 512 GB to store 15 to 20 games. The difference is a 512 GB SSD card is more than four times the price of the a basic 128 GB card

It's really bad for customers except for the ones who buy like 2 games a year or buy only physical. The difference between me buying an extra SSD card and Nintendo putting bigger storage is Nintendo being a manufacturer can buy storage is mass and for much much lower prices. It would cost me 80 USD to buy storage, for Nintendo it wouldn't take even 50. 

Almost every smartphone line has options with multiple storage capacities anyways. Steam Deck gave 3 tiers of storage for different prices. I hope Nintendo at least provide an option for those who needs more space. 

Slownenberg said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Regarding the storage 

Switch only has 32gb. Next gen having 128gb wouldn't put it in any worse position than Switch's 32gb. Games are getting bigger, and a 4x increase in internal storage certainly accounts for that. Nintendo is not going to make the system more expensive when the Switch market already knows they are going to have to buy an SD card.

128gb wasn't much for Switch games. I got a 200gb in 2017, but had to get a new 400gb last year and switch over to that. 1 TB are currently expensive but 512gb are pretty affordable, and Switch 2 is likely just over a year away. And likely most people who get it within the first few months will just be moving the SD card they use with the Switch to the Switch 2 and keep using it. By like two years from now a 1 TB card will probably be pretty affordable and will allow for many many games to be stored on it.

And also of course next gen game card storage sizes will be larger to accommodate larger games. Switch game cards go all the way up to 64gb and there's only a handful of games larger than 32gb, while most large AAA games are like 8gb - 16gb. Even if next gen game cards only get twice as big up to 128gb that is plenty big to handle the games. Being forced to download parts of games despite buying the physical game is not going to be a problem with the vast majority of games. Likely most AAA games are going to be 20/30/40 gb. 128gb internal storage will be plenty, and then if you mostly buy physical but occasionally do digital just get a cheap 512gb SD card, for me as I mostly do digital a 1 TB card would be plenty and likely won't cost that much by two years from now, and I guess I'd keep all my Switch games on my current 400gb card and just switch out cards when I want to play Switch games on it.

Makes a lot more sense for Nintendo to provide just enough storage in the system to keep cost down and then allow the use to purchase SD card storage based on their digital download needs. That was their strategy with the Switch and no doubt it will be their strategy again.

Most AAA games are 8 to 16 gb?!!?  Ps4 games average 40 gb.  Ps5 is even larger.  AAA passed up 16 gb a loooooong time ago.

128 gb isn't remotely enough.  FF7 on the ps4 is literally 100 gb.  

Game cards are expensive compared to disks.  Third party developers aren't going to be happy if digital downloads aren't an option.  And at 128 gb would be completely off the table.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED