By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC: Switch 2 Was Shown At Gamescom Running Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo

Chrkeller said:
RedKingXIII said:

It's exclusive do Nvidia GPUs because you need hardware that's only available on them. The Steam Deck and all handheld PCs use x86 AMD or Intel hardware. The Switch 2 is going to have the rumored Tegra T239, an ARM chip. Handhelds PCs don't use ARM chips because I'm not too sure if Steam would work too well on ARM. The Steam games are made using the x86 architecture so for it to work you'd need a translation layer, meaning you'd lose performance.

I know.  The point is Nintendo and only Nintendo sees the value in DLSS and everyone else is stupid?  You don't find it odd literally nobody is going this route?  

I leave it at this, given there is no need to repeat myself...  if this tech was as good as people are making it out to be....  more than just Nintendo would be lining up.  

AMD GPU's/Chipsets are quite cheaper to make so it goes to say that most manufacturers would opt for that option first and foremost. This isn't economic rocket science to guess so. 

Also, your picture of the whole DLSS seems to suggest that you're not convinced as to what it can offer on the table despite the fact that it has been proven so far through thorough testing by outlets such as Digital Foundry that it is the more robust upscaling solution of it's kind. 

It's merits are factual, this isn't a repeat of the Xbone secret cloud sauce we had back in 2013 so a group subset could convince themselves a parity could be had with the PS4 which was the lead platform at the time, which simply did not exist.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Mar1217 said:
Chrkeller said:

I know.  The point is Nintendo and only Nintendo sees the value in DLSS and everyone else is stupid?  You don't find it odd literally nobody is going this route?  

I leave it at this, given there is no need to repeat myself...  if this tech was as good as people are making it out to be....  more than just Nintendo would be lining up.  

AMD GPU's/Chipsets are quite cheaper to make so it goes to say that most manufacturers would opt for that option first and foremost. This isn't economic rocket science to guess so. 

Also, your picture of the whole DLSS seems to suggest that you're not convinced as to what it can offer on the table despite the fact that it has been proven so far through thorough testing by outlets such as Digital Foundry that it is the more robust upscaling solution of it's kind. 

It's merits are factual, this isn't a repeat of the Xbone secret cloud sauce we had back in 2013 so a group subset could convince themselves a parity could be had with the PS4 which was the lead platform at the time, which simply did not exist.

He says people think they can take 30fps to 60fps with DSLL3 and it's just not reality and you would not want to play that game. it also has input lag.

Chrkeller said:
RedKingXIII said:

It's exclusive do Nvidia GPUs because you need hardware that's only available on them. The Steam Deck and all handheld PCs use x86 AMD or Intel hardware. The Switch 2 is going to have the rumored Tegra T239, an ARM chip. Handhelds PCs don't use ARM chips because I'm not too sure if Steam would work too well on ARM. The Steam games are made using the x86 architecture so for it to work you'd need a translation layer, meaning you'd lose performance.

It seems like you're repeatedly ignoring the points people are making. Nobody is saying only Nintendo has seen the value of DLSS. Not sure why you think this is a Nintendo-only thing. Ignoring PC gaming though. One main reason why PS5 and Xbox Series don't use it is because DLSS came out in 2019. Those systems came out in 2020. Basic system design decisions for those systems had certainly been made well before DLSS existed, and 2019 was just the first much less sophisticated version of DLSS. So the answer you are looking for is not that its odd that the consoles don't use it, but rather its because it didn't exist when those consoles were being designed.

There's other arguments to be made, some of which have already been made which you simply choose to ignore. But the fact that DLSS was invented too late for PS5 and Xbox Series is an ironclad reason why it's not odd they don't have it but rather simply impossible for them to have had it.

Regardless of your apparent conspiracy theories about this technology, the fact is that according to the data DLSS upscaling gives about 2x-3x performance gain. That is gonna significantly close the gap between Switch 2 and consoles. If you compare PS5 running a game at 4k and then Switch 2 running same game at say 1080p, but using a third of the resources it would normally take to run it at 1080p, that's a ton less power needed to run the same game (at a lower res) on Switch 2 compared to what the consoles are doing. There may be other bottlenecks that companies have to work around to port console games to Switch 2, but this is one major thing that closes the gap and should make Switch 2 much more capable of running current gen console games than Switch could for last gen console games. And of course Switch did get some console ports, it just required a significant amount of graphical downgrading, DLSS should eliminate the need for that significant downgrading.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 08 September 2023

Slownenberg said:
Chrkeller said:

It seems like you're repeatedly ignoring the points people are making. Nobody is saying only Nintendo has seen the value of DLSS. Not sure why you think this is a Nintendo-only thing. Ignoring PC gaming though. One main reason why PS5 and Xbox Series don't use it is because DLSS came out in 2019. Those systems came out in 2020. Basic system design decisions for those systems had certainly been made well before DLSS existed, and 2019 was just the first much less sophisticated version of DLSS. So the answer you are looking for is not that its odd that the consoles don't use it, but rather its because it didn't exist when those consoles were being designed.

There's other arguments to be made, some of which have already been made which you simply choose to ignore. But the fact that DLSS was invented too late for PS5 and Xbox Series is an ironclad reason why it's not odd they don't have it but rather simply impossible for them to have had it.

Regardless of your apparent conspiracy theories about this technology, the fact is that according to the data DLSS upscaling gives about 2x-3x performance gain. That is gonna significantly close the gap between Switch 2 and consoles. If you compare PS5 running a game at 4k and then Switch 2 running same game at say 1080p, but using a third of the resources it would normally take to run it at 1080p, that's a ton less power needed to run the same game (at a lower res) on Switch 2 compared to what the consoles are doing. There may be other bottlenecks that companies have to work around to port console games to Switch 2, but this is one major thing that closes the gap and should make Switch 2 much more capable of running current gen console games than Switch could for last gen console games. And of course Switch did get some console ports, it just required a significant amount of graphical downgrading, DLSS should eliminate the need for that significant downgrading.

Digital foundry just said taking a game targeting 30fps to 60fps with DSLL  basically makes it unplayable and the input lag is would be horrible. 

zeldaring said:
Slownenberg said:

Digital foundry just said taking a game targeting 30fps to 60fps with DSLL  basically makes it unplayable and the input lag is would be horrible. 

This.  I'm not saying DLSS isn't great.  I'm not saying it won't close the gap.  I'm simply saying it has more constraints and limitations than people think.  It isn't as simple as many are suggesting in this thread.  

Too much scaling in DLSS causes latency, artifacts, etc.  Games still depend heavily on CPU, ram, VRAM, memory speeds.   Low quality assets don't just scale and look great.  The assets need to be high quality which than hammers VRAM and memory speeds. 

Also software does NOT automatically work with DSLL.  Games have to be programmed to use it.  You can't take a non DLSS game and port it to nVidia chipset and suddenly DLSS works.

It isn't that simple guys.  It isn't.

DLSS is the right move for Nintendo and will be great.  It should put the switch in the Xbox one and ps4 area....  not ps5.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 08 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

Mar1217 said:

He says people think they can take 30fps to 60fps with DSLL3 and it's just not reality and you would not want to play that game. it also has input lag.

He does not mention DLSS 3 at all😑

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
zeldaring said:

He does not mention DLSS 3 at all😑

They  mention it 2 times. 55.16 time and 59.65

DLSS2 is not the game-changer some people make it out to be. FSR2 is comparable when upscaling from higher resolutions. Native 1080p reconstructed to 4K via FSR2 delivers comparable image quality to native 4K. Switch 2 using DLSS is hardly going to shrink the gap between it and PS5.

DLSS's real advantage over FSR is upscaling from low resolutions. So for Switch 2's typical native resolutions, DLSS is a lot more suitable than FSR. But for typical PS5 resolutions, FSR2 (and TSR) isn't far behind DLSS2.

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

This.  I'm not saying DLSS isn't great.  I'm not saying it won't close the gap.  I'm simply saying it has more constraints and limitations than people think.  It isn't as simple as many are suggesting in this thread.  

Too much scaling in DLSS causes latency, artifacts, etc.  Games still depend heavily on CPU, ram, VRAM, memory speeds.   Low quality assets don't just scale and look great.  The assets need to be high quality which than hammers VRAM and memory speeds.  Also software does NOT automatically work with DSLL.  Games have to be programmed to use it.

It isn't that simple guys.  It isn't.

DLSS is the right move for Nintendo and will be great.  It should put the switch in the Xbox one and ps4 area....  not ps5.

yea it gonna help  but people seem to think its magic. it might give a good 20-40% boost if done well but it ain't gonna do miracles.

Is this thread currently very high profile ?