By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC: Switch 2 Was Shown At Gamescom Running Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo

-Adonis- said:

Ok so there is a french developper who works for portage of Xbox and Switch's games who talked about all these : https://www.youtube.com/live/2JupUp-2M3k?si=48TNUarjnDrubwJD&t=3976

He was a bit harsh but basically he was saying not to believe in a "magic" technology. On the "transitions" kits for the new Switch, the power was that of an Xbox One. Beware of hype, it can be damaging in the end.

But he added that this remained his opinion. He repeated it several times.

On another topic they talk about how Apple could create a great hardware in this category if you are interested (and if you understand french).

I'll amend your comment there because he's also basically talking the historic of NVdia trying to buy ARM which are the ones producing the mobile chips we see in the Switch. 

They don't have the "copyrights" for using the Tegra line anymore which lead him to believe the Switch 2 to be boasting a Xavier chip from what he allegedly saw. 

Indeed, beware of anything that runs on the internet because the only true answers we'll get are the ones we'll have once we actually see the Switch 2 for real.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
zero129 said:

I have also been using DLSS on a 50" 4k screen and i have to say some of your takes is bullshit. So im not even sure if you do have first hand experiencing or are just running DLSS down for some other reason??.

Sorry you feel that way.  I have a switch, ps5 and gaming laptop.  I'm in the process of building a gaming desktop.  I stand by my experience.  I would not run doom eternal at 540/360/etc and upscale on a 50 inch TV.  

Yeah i didnt know you meant at that low of res and thought you where talking about DLSS in general.

zero129 said:
Chrkeller said:

Sorry you feel that way.  I have a switch, ps5 and gaming laptop.  I'm in the process of building a gaming desktop.  I stand by my experience.  I would not run doom eternal at 540/360/etc and upscale on a 50 inch TV.  

Yeah i didnt know you meant at that low of res and thought you where talking about DLSS in general.

Yeah and that was my bad.  My post wasn't clear.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

In this podcast from Nate the Hate, he says that the Switch 2 was able to run a demo of Breath of the Wild at 4k 60FPS, with instant loading times. It was using DLSS 3.5. He also mentions that The Matrix Awakens demo was running on it. using advanced Ray Tracing. In the end, he says that "March 2024" was heard a couple of times, but without any context, so we don't know if it's the release date, the release window, or the reveal date.

Norion said:
numberwang said:

Steam Deck is 1.6TF mobile, so I would expect a slimmer, cheaper, longer battery Switch 2 to have 1TF mobile and 1.6TF docked.

That would be a disappointing increase of only quadruple the current Switch. I hope it's more of a 6-7 times increase.

The improvements in power consumption from smaller nodes are, IPC improvements and different clock-voltage curves aside, a direct function of the physical size of their transistors.

The scaling between TSMC's 16FF and N5 is 88 x 70 nm / 51 x 28 nm ) = 4.36 times. For actual GPUs in real-world scenarios, you can see the improvement was more like ~ 3 times between a GeForce 10 and a GeForce 40:

So yeah, the overall improvement should be around that ballpark. It has to.

Mind that Ampere GPUs can also dual-issue FP32 instructions if there's no simultaneous INT32 going on. So it could claim to be a ~ 4TF console but perform closer to a PS4 than a Series S (without DLSS).

Around the Network

It is important to remember that comparing Tflops across architectures is a dangerous game.

Tflops, as a real-world metric, make sense for FLOP-heavy tasks like scientific computing (i.e, you're basically solving matrix differential equations, for example.) 

Gaming is a mixed load where int operations happen for about every two floating point ones.

There is also the complication that RT cores and tensor cores provide, in that they accelerate different specific types of FLOPs (ray-tracing, DLSS, etc.) Hence NVidia tries to bring in metrics like "RT TFLOPS" and "Tensor TFLOPS" to accommodate.

haxxiy said:

The . For actual GPUs in real-world scenarios, you can see the improvement was more like ~ 3 times between a GeForce 10 and a GeForce 40:

The Switch 1's chip was Maxwell, not Pascal. You'd want to compare the 4080 to a 980. That is more of a 5 times difference. 

The X1 in the Switch was also originally 20nm. The die-shrink to 16nm happened with later revisions, with a battery life improvement. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 18 September 2023

haxxiy said:
Norion said:

That would be a disappointing increase of only quadruple the current Switch. I hope it's more of a 6-7 times increase.

The improvements in power consumption from smaller nodes are, IPC improvements and different clock-voltage curves aside, a direct function of the physical size of their transistors.

The scaling between TSMC's 16FF and N5 is 88 x 70 nm / 51 x 28 nm ) = 4.36 times. For actual GPUs in real-world scenarios, you can see the improvement was more like ~ 3 times between a GeForce 10 and a GeForce 40:

So yeah, the overall improvement should be around that ballpark. It has to.

Mind that Ampere GPUs can also dual-issue FP32 instructions if there's no simultaneous INT32 going on. So it could claim to be a ~ 4TF console but perform closer to a PS4 than a Series S (without DLSS).

16nm 🤔

So we're still in the dark. Some say the opposite than others.

Edit - Sorry I didn't see this article : https://www.vgchartz.com/article/458491/nintendo-briefed-activision-blizzard-on-switch-2-last-year/

Last edited by -Adonis- - on 18 September 2023

Sounds like my PS4 raster prediction is gaining some evidence

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850