By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC: Switch 2 Was Shown At Gamescom Running Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

why are you so angry? the discussion here is it wont that close to current  consoles graphics,  which is just realistic, no one is saying it won't run the games lol. Even current gen consoles are struggling. 

A ROG Ally runs basically EVERY game that the XBox Series X does. Not just a few. Virtually every single game. Lets cut the bullshit on "next-gen games are magical unicorns that can't possibly run on portable hardware". Yes they can. Unfortunately for you guys Youtube exists and everyone and their grandma that owns a ROG Ally is uploading videos of it running Starfield even without optimization patches that are coming in the future and it's entirely playable and looks fine even unoptimized.

Is it the best looking version of the game? Of course not, you'd have to be fucking idiot to expect that. But it runs fine and it is the same game, not like some N64-ized version of it.  

My dude. the rally is a 700$ high end handheld with 2 hours of battery life. The Switch 2 is gonna be down clocked to save on battery life so we just being realistic here. It's ok a handheld might not be able to run some games on home consoles  being maxed or developers might not wanna take the time to optimize a port. It's a possibility. You acting like it's huge deal. 

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

A ROG Ally runs basically EVERY game that the XBox Series X does. Not just a few. Virtually every single game. Lets cut the bullshit on "next-gen games are magical unicorns that can't possibly run on portable hardware". Yes they can. Unfortunately for you guys Youtube exists and everyone and their grandma that owns a ROG Ally is uploading videos of it running Starfield even without optimization patches that are coming in the future and it's entirely playable and looks fine even unoptimized.

Is it the best looking version of the game? Of course not, you'd have to be fucking idiot to expect that. But it runs fine and it is the same game, not like some N64-ized version of it.  

My dude. the rally is a 700$ high end handheld with 2 hours of battery life. The Switch 2 is gonna be down clocked to save on battery life so we just being realistic here. It's ok a handheld might not be able to run some games on home consoles  being maxed or developers might not wanna take the time to optimize a port. It's a possibility. You acting like it's huge deal. 

It's $700 only because the manufacturer makes $0 on games. They have to make all their money on the hardware and on a niche device the profit margin has to be really fat. It's not that much better than Steam Deck which is $399.99 but Valve can subsidize the cost because they make some money off game sales. 

Also you sound an awful lot like an alt of another "dude" in this same thread, that would be super lame. 

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

You are wasting your time.  He is too hard headed to listen.  FFVII is a great example.  He keeps talking about light and volumetric fog....  while ignoring higher quality textures, faster texture loading, faster loading and literally 2x the performance at 60 fps for a game that wasn't even built for the ps5.  

The short version is He doesn't listen and likely never will.  

Anybody who wants a summary of the thread should go back a few pages and read Pemalite's post.  He is a clear expert on tech and explained it nicely.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

You are wasting your time.  He is too hard headed to listen.  FFVII is a great example.  He keeps talking about light and volumetric fog....  while ignoring higher quality textures, faster texture loading, faster loading and literally 2x the performance at 60 fps for a game that wasn't even built for the ps5.  

The short version is He doesn't listen and likely never will.  

Honest question, why are you even in this thread? Like what are you even bringing to this conversation? 

If the topic upsets then kindly go elsewhere. The thread is to discuss the topic of Matrix Awakens on the Switch 2 as reported by a reliable media source in CVG. 

Also how about that $399.99 Steam Deck running virtually every single super amazing XBox Series X game too. And oh look even Final Fantasy VII Intergrade (aka the PS5 version). Even with fog! OMG! The super special fog! Some how they stole it from the precious PS5! Maybe make a thread about how that's impossible when it's clearly shown by hundreds of Youtube posters. If only that darn Youtube didn't exist and people couldn't see all of these things with a 5 second search. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 09 September 2023

zeldaring said:

only 2 hours of battery life that cost 700$ lets be realistic here.

Just noticed your edit. One thing that always needs to be considered is that comparing OEM PC SKU's (and yes the Rog Ally is a PC) to closed-platform consoles never really favors the pricing of the PC SKU when it comes to price-per-performance. 

When a console manufacturer makes a contract with a hardware supplier, they are getting the cheapest prices possible. Why? Because that supplier is going to be supplying hardware for three-five years, not just the year or so until the hardware is outdated and a new chipset/PC model revision is released. 

The PS5 cost, at release, much less than the RX 5700XT PC it competed with performance-wise.

Likewise, a Switch 2 needn't be as expensive as a Rog Ally (especially given that it is releasing next year at the earliest) and still having better performance. 

There is also the fact of the matter that architectural differences mean much these days, because of the feature-sets of the respective graphics processors. Nvidia is a generation ahead of AMD when it comes to ray-tracing, and the Switch 2's GPU architecture (again assuming Ampere or ADA Lovelace) will either be a generation or two ahead of the RDNA2 GPU in the series S on top of that. The Series S will be 4 years old when the Switch 2 likely releases, and it was low-end hardware when it was new. 

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

why are you so angry? the discussion here is it wont that close to current  consoles graphics,  which is just realistic, no one is saying it won't run the games lol. Even current gen consoles are struggling. 

This.  He said the switch 2 would run games like current consoles.  We said it wouldn't be comparable because of compromises.  He is now moving his original argument to EXACTLY what we have been saying.  

Soundwave in summary: moving goalposts 

I haven't read the conversation between you and Soundwave, but this generation of games can and will be marketed to run on the next generation switch.

I just don't see why it is impossible.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Chrkeller said:

This.  He said the switch 2 would run games like current consoles.  We said it wouldn't be comparable because of compromises.  He is now moving his original argument to EXACTLY what we have been saying.  

I haven't read the conversation between you and Soundwave, but this generation of games can and will be marketed to run on the next generation switch.

Here's the "impossible" thing that dude can't get over ... Final Fantasy VII Integrade (which is the PS5 version) running on a portable. Not only does this run on the Steam Deck and run great, it's VERIFIED by Square-Enix themselves, the designer of the game even made an announcement video for FF7RI on Steam Deck, lol. 

All the effects are there ... the lighting, the fog ... on a $399.99 portable that's a year and a half old. 

Now if that isn't close enough to the mythic PS5 version, well then I guess for that crowd they can just shove a PS5 up their ass and voila, now you have portable FF7 pixel for pixel exactly the same. You might get some looks for having a power cord coming out of your rear end but I'm sure the ladies will be impressed with the 60 fps. 

For the rest of us though, yeah that Steam Deck version looks very, very good to me. All the lighting, fog effects seem to be reasonably intact. That looks fantastic. It indeed looks like the PS5 version. OMG!! Oh wait, the planet didn't explode when I just said that? I'll say it again. It looks like the Playstation 5 version. Go figure. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 09 September 2023

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Chrkeller said:

It isn't impossible and i agree it will happen.  Sound (and others) are being dishonest and are intentionally mischaracterizing my argument.

But I am happy to clarify in 3 simple points:

1) switch 2 will run modern games 

2) switch 2 ports will be a noticeable and significant downgrade compared to the ps5/series x/pc

3)  the average consumer won't care about the downgrade

The original argument was Sound claiming the switch was going to produce visual fidelity comparable to the ps5 and I disagreed for the reasons Pemalite detailed a few pages ago.  Hence my goalposts comment about Sound.  He is changing his position to what Ring and I have been saying for pages.

It is that simple.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

sc94597 said:
zeldaring said:

only 2 hours of battery life that cost 700$ lets be realistic here.

Just noticed your edit. One thing that always needs to be considered is that comparing OEM PC SKU's (and yes the Rog Ally is a PC) to closed-platform consoles never really favors the pricing of the PC SKU when it comes to price-per-performance. 

When a console manufacturer makes a contract with a hardware supplier, they are getting the cheapest prices possible. Why? Because that supplier is going to be supplying hardware for three-five years, not just the year or so until the hardware is outdated and a new chipset/PC model revision is released. 

The PS5 cost, at release, much less than the RX 5700XT PC it competed with performance-wise.

Likewise, a Switch 2 needn't be as expensive as a Rog Ally (especially given that it is releasing next year at the earliest) and still having better performance. 

There is also the fact of the matter that architectural differences mean much these days, because of the feature-sets of the respective graphics processors. Nvidia is a generation ahead of AMD when it comes to ray-tracing, and the Switch 2's GPU architecture (again assuming Ampere or ADA Lovelace) will either be a generation or two ahead of the RDNA2 GPU in the series S on top of that. The Series S will be 4 years old when the Switch 2 likely releases, and it was low-end hardware when it was new. 

That's nice and all but you are forgetting that the switch 2 will probably have 8 hours of battery life and it come at a cost. ray tracing ain't happening. I always here this generation or 2 theory guess what the Xbox was pos home console and switch had the next-gen architecture and was still miles behind, same story with wiiu. 

Anyway we discussed this enough we will just have to wait till the games come out. 

zeldaring said:
sc94597 said:

That's nice and all but you are forgetting that the switch 2 will probably have 8 hours of battery life and it come at a cost. ray tracing ain't happening. I always here this generation or 2 theory guess what the Xbox was pos home console and switch had the next-gen architecture and was still miles behind or about the wiiu same crap. 

Anyway we discussed enough we will just have to wait till the games come out. 

More bullshit. It would be nice if you realized some people have a memory that goes back past 2019 ... the original Switch had a battery life of 3 hours, some games not even 3 full hours. Did you think nobody would remember that? 

Nintendo was just fine and dandy selling those by the million-load and people were more than fine buying it by the million-load even with only 2 1/2-3 hours of battery life. 

For most people 2-3 hour play sessions are perfectly fine and Nintendo is more than fine doing a die shrink and getting repeat customers buying a later model with better battery life.