By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - NFL 2023 Season Discussion Thread

If the 49ers can stay healthy, they can beat anyone in the league. There is a level of physicality on that team on both sides of the ball that no other team can match. It’s not just the defense or offensive line, even their skill positions on offense are built to beat you down. But that physical play style does wear on the body more, so you do get a higher risk of injury.

Also, it’s amazing what a difference a coordinator can make. Denver went from having a top tier physical defense the last few seasons still running the Vic Fangio defense to a soft passive piece of shit defense, still running the Fangio scheme but with Vance Joseph. Offense hasn’t even been a problem, it’s the defense.

I would love to see a Super Bowl of Miami vs SF, a team built for finesse and speed versus a team built for strength and power.

Around the Network

Though loss by the Packers tonight. The Raiders have a pretty easy schedule for the next four games if they play like they did today they can win 3 out of four games.

The Packers lost another close game to a weak AFC West team. They couldn't afford this with the toughest part of their schedule coming up. I can easily see them going 3-7 through their first ten games of the season.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Was glad for that win yesterday, screw the Packers.

Broncos historically shitty defense has gotten a little better week by week as they have gotten healthier.

i think im going to go with the yankees. they win a lot, right?

Around the Network

Jets had maybe their best weak of the season by not doing anything while the Bills and Patriots lost. At this point winning the division is not out of the question as neither Miami nor Buffalo looks as good as advertised. Jets are two games behind Miami and one game behind Bufallo with a head to head win over the latter.

Jets defense is scary. Quinen Williams isn't having a lot of sacks or pressures himself, but that's because he's drawing double and triple teams all the time. His brother is quickly becoming a pro-bowl caliber linebacker like Mosley. After years of unsuccessfully or paying for edge rushers, undrafted Bryce Huff has finally filled that void. The Jets D-line and linebackers have been so good they were able to beat Philly with practice squad DBs playing a significant number of snaps.

All the offense has to do is not fuck things up, and so far they really haven't. They haven't turned the ball over too often and have been keeping drives alive long enough to keep the defense fresh. They have met the incredibly low bar of being simply mediocre instead of actively bad, and that may be enough to get them into the playoffs... assuming they can find a competent lineman before the trade deadline and don't have any more injuries on the line.

Jets and Giants put on one of the worst football games in NFL history. Jets got back their two best defensive backs, but the Giants countered with the brilliant strategy of not throwing the ball at all. I get it's a third string QB but if he's not going to throw it, they probably should have just let Barkley play QB and go wildcat every play. Jets lost two more O-lineman and really didn't do much after Hall broke a 50 yard touchdown. They got extremely lucky with the giants missing a thirty five yard or so game winning field goal.

Credit where credit is due, Wilson made a couple of really great throws to get a fieldgoal with 24 seconds left. I guess sometimes half a minute of good football is enough. Play of the game was a literal last second spike. I was pretty certain that they weren't going to be able to get it off. Wilson had another great play in OT drawing a pass interference to set up the game winner. Saleh made the best call by kicking the field goal on first down and not giving them a chance to fuck up anymore.

So yeah, they were terrible, but not terrible enough to lose to Tommy Devito, at least not when the Giants missed two field goals yards. But, a win is a win. Hopefully they could sort out the O-line quickly enough to win the next two winnable games on their schedule. If they get to 6-3 they have a good shot at the playoffs, and if Rodgers' pact with Satan works out, maybe they could make a run.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 30 October 2023

How did the Broncos beat the Chiefs?

I guess Taylor Swift just wasn't feel it today.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 30 October 2023

Jags won again, and are now tied for the best record in the AFC at 6-2 (along with the Dolphins, Ravens, and Chiefs) so my pick of them winning the super bowl doesn't seem as farfetched as even I thought initially. Lawrence, The golden God, remains the prettiest QB in football. Hottest QB award is still Jimmy G's to lose.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery