By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July Circana (NPD) 2023 Thread + Predictions

July 2023 Circana (NPD) covers the four week period from July 2 to July 29. It was going to release on August 16, however, it has been delayed to an unknown date. 

Be sure to get your predictions in. Since NPD leaks don't happen nearly as often as it used to and hardware revenue is something we do get, be sure to include revenue in your predictions.

Feel free to also predict what you think the top software games will be for the month.

Example prediction:

[Total Hardware Revenue]

1. [#1 selling console] XXX,000
  2. [#2 selling console] XXX,000
  3. [#3 selling console] XXX,000

TLDR:

Units: PS5 > NS > XS
Revenue: PS5 > NS > XS

YTD Units: PS5 > NS > XS
YTD Revenue: PS5 > NS > XS

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Best-Selling Console in the US in July, Remnant II Debuts in 1st

The PlayStation 5 was the best-selling console in the US in July 2023 in terms of units sold and dollar sales, according to figures from Circana (formerly The NPD Group). Circana includes the dates for the four week period of July 2 to July 29.

The Nintendo Switch was the second best-selling console in terms of units sold and dollar sales. The Xbox Series X|S was the third best-selling console in terms of units sold and dollar sales.

The PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch all saw sales drop year-on-year.

2023 year-to-date the PlayStation 5 is the best-selling console in terms of both units sold and dollar sales, while the Nintendo Switch is in second in both rankings, and the Xbox Series X|S comes in third.

Overall spending on video games in July was up one percent year-on-year from $4.16 billion to $4.19 billion. Spending on video game content increased two percent from $3.64 billion to $3.72 billion, while video game hardware sales dropped 19 percent from $362 million to $292 million.

Overall spending on video games in 2023 year-to-date is up one percent percent from $30.28 billion to $30.68 billion. Spending on video game content is flat year-to-date with $26.52 billion, while video game hardware sales is up 17 percent from $2.49 billion to $2.92 billion.

Remnant II debuted in first place on the software charts for July 2023 and is the 18th best-selling game of 2023 year-to-date.

There were two other new releases in the top 20 for the month. Pikmin 4 debuted in sixth place and Exoprimal debuted in 16th place.

Diablo IV dropped one spot to second place, while Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (2022) is up three spots to third place. Hogwarts Legacy is up one spot to fourth place and Final Fantasy XVI fell from second to fifth place. 

Several classic Call of Duty titles saw a big boost in sales in July due to the multiplayer servers being restored on Xbox consoles. Call of Duty: Black Ops II re-entered the top 20 for the first time since April 2017. It took 13th place. Call of Duty: Black Ops III re-entered the top 20 in 20th place.

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in terms of dollars for July 2023:

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in 2023 year-to-date:

Last edited by trunkswd - on 21 August 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

1. PS5- 493K
2. Switch- 356K
3. xbox- 248K

PS5: 475k
Switch 400k
Xbox 250k

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

NPD/Circana now comes out on Monday, August 21. Hopefully no more delays. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

This will likely be a very strong month for PS5 and may keep in the lead. My curiosity is if Xbox have been able to stop the drop while waiting for Starfield.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

NPD / Circana July 2023 report is out now. Mat Piscatella is stuck at home and not able to go to the office due to the hurricane that hit So Cal. Hopefully will have more information released tomorrow. 

All three consoles are down year-on-year. We had leaks for July 2022, which had PS5 at 301K and XS at 247K. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 21 August 2023

Forgot to predict this month, but seems like it was a fairly weak month for hardware.
Suprised to see a game I've barely heard about as the top seller. TotK is holding on pretty well for a game with no digital included.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Forgot to predict this month, but seems like it was a fairly weak month for hardware.
Suprised to see a game I've barely heard about as the top seller. TotK is holding on pretty well for a game with no digital included.

So depending on who drops more Xbox could lead the month.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

trunkswd said:

July 2023 Circana (NPD) covers the four week period from July 2 to July 29. It was going to release on August 16, however, it has been delayed to an unknown date. 

Be sure to get your predictions in. Since NPD leaks don't happen nearly as often as it used to and hardware revenue is something we do get, be sure to include revenue in your predictions.

Feel free to also predict what you think the top software games will be for the month.

Example prediction:

[Total Hardware Revenue]

1. [#1 selling console] XXX,000
  2. [#2 selling console] XXX,000
  3. [#3 selling console] XXX,000

TLDR:

Units: PS5 > NS > XS
Revenue: PS5 > NS > XS

YTD Units: PS5 > NS > XS
YTD Revenue: PS5 > NS > XS

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Best-Selling Console in the US in July, Remnant II Debuts in 1st

The PlayStation 5 was the best-selling console in the US in July 2023 in terms of units sold and dollar sales, according to figures from Circana (formerly The NPD Group). Circana includes the dates for the four week period of July 2 to July 29.

The Nintendo Switch was the second best-selling console in terms of units sold and dollar sales. The Xbox Series X|S was the third best-selling console in terms of units sold and dollar sales.

The PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch all saw sales drop year-on-year.

2023 year-to-date the PlayStation 5 is the best-selling console in terms of both units sold and dollar sales, while the Nintendo Switch is in second in both rankings, and the Xbox Series X|S comes in third.

Overall spending on video games in July was up one percent year-on-year from $4.16 billion to $4.19 billion. Spending on video game content increased two percent from $3.64 billion to $3.72 billion, while video game hardware sales dropped 19 percent from $362 million to $292 million.

Overall spending on video games in 2023 year-to-date is up one percent percent from $30.28 billion to $30.68 billion. Spending on video game content is flat year-to-date with $26.52 billion, while video game hardware sales is up 17 percent from $2.49 billion to $2.92 billion.

Remnant II debuted in first place on the software charts for July 2023 and is the 18th best-selling game of 2023 year-to-date.

There were two other new releases in the top 20 for the month. Pikmin 4 debuted in sixth place and Exoprimal debuted in 16th place.

Diablo IV dropped one spot to second place, while Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (2022) is up three spots to third place. Hogwarts Legacy is up one spot to fourth place and Final Fantasy XVI fell from second to fifth place. 

Several classic Call of Duty titles saw a big boost in sales in July due to the multiplayer servers being restored on Xbox consoles. Call of Duty: Black Ops II re-entered the top 20 for the first time since April 2017. It took 13th place. Call of Duty: Black Ops III re-entered the top 20 in 20th place.

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in terms of dollars for July 2023:

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in 2023 year-to-date:

Did Mat piscatella say that all consoles are down year on year?

DonFerrari said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

So depending on who drops more Xbox could lead the month.

In future months? I suppose they have a decent shot in September with Starfield if there's nothing special going on for the PS5.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat