By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want to see from next gen Nintendo games?

mZuzek said:

^ I disagree with y'all so much. The last thing Star Fox should be is open world.

Then say goodbye to a wider audience for Star Fox to justify more games with. Like it or not, the audience for rail shooters is a lot smaller than it used to be.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

^ I disagree with y'all so much. The last thing Star Fox should be is open world.

Think of my idea as a huge hub. They can make the missions inside the planets with old-style gameplay.

I also don't think a "pure" open world game would work for spaceships combats 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 17 August 2023

We reap what we sow

CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

Then say goodbye to a wider audience for Star Fox to justify more games with. Like it or not, the audience for rail shooters is a lot smaller than it used to be.

I don't play games for the audience they appeal to.

160rmf said:
mZuzek said:

Think of this as a huge hub. They can make the missions inside the planets with old-style gameplay.

My idea is not a "pure" open world game

That sounds better, actually.

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Then you won't see any new Star Fox games. Small audience means small money, which isn't enough for Nintendo to want to make more Star Fox. Hence why Nintendo IPs like Mario and Zelda get lots of sequels and spin offs.

CaptainExplosion said:
160rmf said:

Think of this as a huge hub. They can make the missions inside the planets with old-style gameplay.

My idea is not a "pure" open world game

That sounds better, actually.

Well, that's what I was coming for in the first place, but I guess I poorly choose the words lol

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

Then you won't see any new Star Fox games. Small audience means small money, which isn't enough for Nintendo to want to make more Star Fox. Hence why Nintendo IPs like Mario and Zelda get lots of sequels and spin offs.

Star Fox has a small audience because the franchise went through a massive identity crisis, multiple mediocre games, and long droughts. Not having one good videogame release in over 25 years does that to a franchise. Of course, this only happened because of Nintendo's mismanagement in the first place, something that applies to the vast majority of their franchises to begin with.

Does a rail shooter have a smaller audience now? I guess. But there are many ways Star Fox can be expanded upon and modernized, without necessarily taking the open world approach. And if you want a perfect example of open world not being an instant sales fix, just look to Starlink and how bad that game failed.

Star Fox will never be Mario and Zelda and neither am I expecting it to. I wouldn't expect a Star Fox game to ever cross 5 million in sales and that's perfectly fine, lots of great games don't. To be honest, at this point I'm not sure I even expect a new game to come out at all.

160rmf said:
mZuzek said:

Think of my idea as a huge hub. They can make the missions inside the planets with old-style gameplay.

Personally I think the only hub should be the Great Fox. It'd be fun to walk around inside it and have banter between the team and such, and select missions from there. But a huge hub is too much. I don't think having on-foot traversal is a bad idea, so long as it's more action-oriented instead of exploration. I don't think exploration-based gameplay is a good fit for the series.

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Star Fox has a small audience because the franchise went through a massive identity crisis, multiple mediocre games, and long droughts. Not having one good videogame release in over 25 years does that to a franchise. Of course, this only happened because of Nintendo's mismanagement in the first place, something that applies to the vast majority of their franchises to begin with.

Does a rail shooter have a smaller audience now? I guess. But there are many ways Star Fox can be expanded upon and modernized, without necessarily taking the open world approach. And if you want a perfect example of open world not being an instant sales fix, just look to Starlink and how bad that game failed.

Star Fox will never be Mario and Zelda and neither am I expecting it to. I wouldn't expect a Star Fox game to ever cross 5 million in sales and that's perfectly fine, lots of great games don't. To be honest, at this point I'm not sure I even expect a new game to come out at all.

160rmf said:

Personally I think the only hub should be the Great Fox. It'd be fun to walk around inside it and have banter between the team and such, and select missions from there. But a huge hub is too much. I don't think having on-foot traversal is a bad idea, so long as it's more action-oriented instead of exploration. I don't think exploration-based gameplay is a good fit for the series.

That's also a good idea, I just like 160rmf's idea better. Also, Starlink failed because Ubisoft somehow thought it was a good idea to implement the toys to life mechanic at a time when that mechanic was dead.

Just make a Star Fox game that is bigger, much much bigger, than the old games. I remember I got Star Fox 64 the day it came out and I beat it that same day. First time I'd ever beaten a game the day I got it. It was a great game but sooo short. The rails shooting is fine but they gotta make the game bigger. I like the idea of an open world hub where you have tons of missions to choose from, though a more linear (or pathway'd game the way 64 was) is fine too as long as there are lots of levels and its not a $60 game you finish in a day or two.

I'd be fine with them trying out an open world Star Fox as well. Starlink looked cool but its problem was just the gameplay loop just got redundant. Hell I dunno maybe do a mix of things where you've got open air levels with on-rails levels connecting them and as the game progresses you have to traverse around the open air / on-rails world to go fight battles but each time you have to cross back through a level you played to get somewhere that level has changed a bunch.

long story short, Nintendo, just make another Star Fox! (and Fzero! haha)

mZuzek said:

What about……..open-space? But I agree, making something open-world doesn’t automatically make it better or more appealing. It’s really hard to say whether or not a traditional Star Fox can succeed because the series has been so mismanaged over decades.

Star Fox sold 3 million, Star Fox 64 was a bigger/better version and sold 4 million, they built off the success of these two on-rail shooters by releasing……a Zelda-esque adventure game? Adventures was a cool game but it’s Star Fox in name only and should have been a new IP like originally planned.

Then we had Assault, which I think the concept was going in the right direction but the execution wasn’t great and it had mixed reviews. Combine that with the fact it released on GameCube in 2005 when the system was really struggling (it was always struggling but 2005/2006 were really bad) and the game didn’t have much chance of success.

Next was Command, which I never played but from what I understand it had turn based gameplay like battleship so it also wasn’t a traditional title and didn’t sell very well. Then we had an updated port of Star Fox 64 and it did over 1 million. Zero was another mixed reviewed title for with awkward use of the Wii U Gamepad, play it was on Wii U so not much chance of success based on that alone.

Basically they had two really successful titles then followed that up with a bunch of experimental stuff that didn’t resonate with fans of the series. We have yet to a traditional title on a popular platform.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

mZuzek said:

Don't need to reach the Nintendo Triforce level (Zelda/Mario/Pokemon), but a considerable jump in sales over SF64 would be great. If they play their cards right, I can see something more than 5M. The key is to be ambitious, but don't be messy (specially with the controls).

I think Star Fox, despite the turds, will always make a return (Maybe they are hoping to strike gold like the first two entries). I just hope this time something really good come out of it and like I said before, the franchise has the potential 

We reap what we sow