By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want to see from next gen Nintendo games?

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

I'd also like to see Nintendo branch out more in terms of collaborathing with outside studios; many great games from their past have resulted from such partnerships, such as Mario RPG with Square, F-Zero GX with Sega, Astral Chain with Platinum, Sin and Punishment with Treasure, Metroid Dread with Mercury Steam, etc.

I'd love to see, say, Diddy Kong Racing 2 by the old ex-Rare team at Playtonic.

Not only can this help bring a freshness to some of their IPs, but as games become more intensive to create, they're going to need to work with external partners to ensure a steady flow of software.

If not Playtonic, then perhaps someone Playtonic knows through their stint as a publisher who can do Diddy Kong Racing 2 justice. Or Sumo Digital, who did Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, so they can just build on that with Donkey Kong Country characters.

Sumo would be a good pick too, Sonic All Stars Racing 1 and Transformed were excellent.

It would be cool to see Playtonic do modern takes on a lot of their SNES/N64 output, like how Impossible Lair was a wonderful modern take on 1990s Donkey Kong Country.

Their relationship with Platinum should also be a priority.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

If not Playtonic, then perhaps someone Playtonic knows through their stint as a publisher who can do Diddy Kong Racing 2 justice. Or Sumo Digital, who did Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, so they can just build on that with Donkey Kong Country characters.

Sumo would be a good pick too, Sonic All Stars Racing 1 and Transformed were excellent.

It would be cool to see Playtonic do modern takes on a lot of their SNES/N64 output, like how Impossible Lair was a wonderful modern take on 1990s Donkey Kong Country.

As long as it doesn't involve forced motion controls like what happened to Star Fox Zero.

I wanna see Nintendo do what Sega did and hire fan game devs, because there are some fan games that were done with a lot of love and talent.

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

As long as it doesn't involve forced motion controls like what happened to Star Fox Zero.

I wanna see Nintendo do what Sega did and hire fan game devs, because there are some fan games that were done with a lot of love and talent.

Damn how cool would it be if Nintendo did that, and allowed specific really well done fan games to be released on Nintendo systems. Sell them under a "fan game" brand. That'd be awesome.

Slownenberg said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Damn how cool would it be if Nintendo did that, and allowed specific really well done fan games to be released on Nintendo systems. Sell them under a "fan game" brand. That'd be awesome.

Maybe not under a fan game "brand", but they could promote them by saying the dev team is made up of big time fans of certain Nintendo IPs, like if they did an official version of Psycho Waluigi (platformer where Waluigi gains PSI to try and takeover various kingdoms), or Super Mario Brawl (retro-style beat'em up starring Mario characters).

Also, for the love of god, anti-aliasing.
It's so silly that most Nintendo games still don't use it when Mario 64 had anti-aliasing back in 1996.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

It's so silly that most Nintendo games still don't use it when Mario 64 had anti-aliasing back in 1996.

Really? That's funny. I remember it being a big deal on N64, although later on it seemed like some people hated on anti-aliasing because it blurs things slightly.

Can't say I never ever noticed the lack of it on Switch. Games look good enough these days to not notice I guess.

One thing I’d like to see are Switch 2 settings for Switch 1 games. Most Switch 1 games will be relatively fine; but certain games, like Witcher 3, should be able to run with higher settings.

It’s unlikely Nintendo will have any massive changes to the internals or removals of Switch 1 interface options. One or both things have happened in every Nintendo generation aside from a few of the handheld ones, which caused issues such as requiring an emulation mode and/or older controllers to play the games.

So ideally, when playing Witcher 3 (as an example), I can access the game from the exact same menu I use to select my Switch 2 games on (No Switch 1 mode, let alone one that takes 2-3 minutes to load, and no requiring Switch 1 controllers). Additionally, Witcher 3 will use improved settings.

This isn’t anything revolutionary. PC, Mac, iOS, and Android games have been doing it for over a decade to decades. It’s time for gaming consoles to get with the times, and do gen over gen games as good as non-gaming platforms.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 28 August 2023

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Have a new fighting game that's Nintendo's own successor to Killer Instinct. Maybe a gritty and bloodied version of Urban Champion from the NES. I know I said something like that before, but I'm curious as to how it would go.

Slownenberg said:
curl-6 said:

Really? That's funny. I remember it being a big deal on N64, although later on it seemed like some people hated on anti-aliasing because it blurs things slightly.

Can't say I never ever noticed the lack of it on Switch. Games look good enough these days to not notice I guess.

There are plenty of games with AA on Switch, just most of Nintendo's own games lack it for some weird reason. It's not a huge deal, just an odd omission when the hardware is capable and there are a lot of options for good AA nowadays.

What if they did a new game that has the cast of all the one off NES games (Ice Climber, Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman, etc.) all in a brand new shared setting that's not Smash Bros.