By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 41.7 Million Units as of June 2023

DonFerrari said:
pikashoe said:

It'll be very difficult to reach that target, considering the ps4 only ever reached 20 million in a fiscal year and the ps5 is already behind that year. It's possible, but hard to see happening with how few first party releases sony have coming in the next few months. Spiderman will definitely shift a lot of consoles but they'll need more to hit this target. 

PS5 have been closing the gap and also the lag between the 10M milestones so I don't see how PS5 is behind.

In quarter 1 of the ps4s peak year it shipped 3.5 million, this year the ps5 has shipped 3.3 million. They are aiming for 25million for this FY which is 25% higher, currently after 1 quarter it is roughly 5.5% behind the ps4. This now means that for the remaining 3 quarters the ps5 needs to sell even more than 25% over the ps4 to reach 25million. 

Around the Network
pikashoe said:

The ps4s peak year was 20% lower then the 25 million the ps5 is aiming for and the ps5 is already behind the ps4s peak year so it has a lot to make up to reach that figure. Where I'm from the ps5 has an €80 price cut and has never been easier to find. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything but that is a very difficult figure to reach for almost any console.

I don't think the PS5 being behind the PS4 by 200K in this quarter is a lot to make up for. I would be more concerned if the PS5 matched the PS4 in price but still lagged behind, couldn't close the gap, and couldn't overtake it.

Unless you think a PS5 price cut + revision will do nothing to drive unit sales, I don't think its accurate to judge whether or not Sony can hit their 25M+ projection, on a launch aligned comparison with the PS4 and PS5. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 09 August 2023

Mar1217 said:

So weirdly enough in a year where the PS5 aims to ship a ludicrous amount, the Switch which has 10M less in forecasted sales surpasses it in shipment during the 1st quarter ... Bruh, this isn't a good look for the PS5 early on. Not saying they won't catch up in Q2 and Q3 but the fact they necessited price cuts and promotions in non-holiday times to sell through stocks while there's a rumored new slim SKU coming at a reduced price tells me, they changed their hardware profitability strategy they had early on.

Kinda makes the following fiscal results even more exciting to see now because nothing seem to be set in stone now.

Welp, appart from the XSeries just steadily declining

Do you expect the Switch to outsell the PlayStation 5 for the remainder of the year? 

PotentHerbs said:
pikashoe said:

The ps4s peak year was 20% lower then the 25 million the ps5 is aiming for and the ps5 is already behind the ps4s peak year so it has a lot to make up to reach that figure. Where I'm from the ps5 has an €80 price cut and has never been easier to find. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything but that is a very difficult figure to reach for almost any console.

I don't think the PS5 being behind the PS4 by 200K in this quarter is a lot to make up for. I would be more concerned if the PS5 matched the PS4 in price but still lagged behind, couldn't close the gap, and couldn't overtake it.

But it doesn't just have to make up for the 200k it also has to be over 25% higher than the ps4 to reach 25million. 

I'm not saying it won't do it, I'm saying it will be very difficult to do. 

pikashoe said:

But it doesn't just have to make up for the 200k it also has to be over 25% higher than the ps4 to reach 25million. 

I'm sure Sony factored in a price cut, revision and temporary deals for their FY23 projection, which wouldn't be reflected in this quarter. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
pikashoe said:

I'm sure Sony factored in a price cut, revision and temporary deals for their FY23 projection, which wouldn't be reflected in this quarter. 

The ps4 also had a revision during the period we are comparing. 

Again I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying it will be very difficult.

pikashoe said:

The ps4 also had a revision during the period we are comparing. 

Again I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying it will be very difficult.

Oh, it will definitely be difficult, I just don't think it will be very difficult to achieve. But perhaps I'm just splitting hairs. 

However, even with the PS4 having a revision in this launch aligned period, this will be the first time, at least from a mass availability standpoint, that the PS5 will match the PS4 in price. At the bare minimum, I think PS5 will beat the PS4's peak year by a comfortable margin. 

A lot of skepticism around Sony hitting their fiscal year target of 25 million.

Price discounts + Spider man bundle + 1st Holiday season with no real supply contraints + Huge marketing campaign = 25 million.

Hitting 25m will be tough but even reaching 20m would still be really good. The former would be outright excellent so the PS5 is in a great place if it can aim for that.

A recession is coming soon and console sales are gonna slow down big time. I think sony knows this so they better go all out this year cause its gonna get ugly.