By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 41.7 Million Units as of June 2023

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Ships 41.7 Million Units as of June 2023

Sony Interactive Entertainment in its financial results announced it has shipped 41.7 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of June 30, 2023.

Sony had previously announced sell-through figures for the PlayStation 5 had surpassed 40 million units for the week ending July 16.

With 41.7 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of June that means 3.3 million units were shipped from April to June. This is up 0.9 million from the same quarter in 2022. 

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 3.5 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 43.7 million units shipped as of June 30, 2016. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 2.0 million units.

There were a total of 56.5 million games sold on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 for the quarter. This is up 9.3 million from 47.2 million during the same period a year earlier. Digital sales accounted for 72 percent of software sales.

There were 6.6 million first-party games sold across the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4. This is the same as a year ago.

There were 108 million monthly active users on the PlayStation Network, an increase of five million from 103 million a year ago. Sony did not disclose the number of PlayStation Plus subscribers. It was at 47.4 million at the end of March.

Sony's Game & Network Services Segment for the quarter ending June 30, 2023, reported revenue increased 167.8 billion yen ($1.17 billion) year-over-year to 771.9 billion yen ($5.39 billion), while operating income decreased 3.6 billion yen ($0.03 billion) to 49.2 billion yen ($0.34 billion).

Sony's forecast for the Game & Network Services Segment for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024 are expected to increase year-on-year due to an increase in sales of hardware and peripheral devices, which will partially be offset by foreign exchange rates.

"Sales are expected to be higher than the April forecast due to an expected increase in sales of non-first-party titles including add-on content and the impact of foreign exchange rates," reads the report from Sony.

"Operating income is expected to remain unchanged from the April forecast mainly due to the impact of the above-mentioned increase in sales of non-first party titles and an expected decrease in costs, substantially offset primarily by a deterioration in profitability of PlayStation 5 hardware mainly due to changes in promotions by geographic region and the sales channel mix, as well as the impact of changes in the launch dates of a portion of first-party titles. Adjusted OIBDA is expected to be higher than the April forecast mainly due to the same factors affecting operating income."

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter, Bluesky, and Threads.

I post and adjust the VGChartz hardware estimates, with help from Machina.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Monthly Hardware Breakdown Monthly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Hardware Sales for Quarter 1 FY 23/24 are up 900k year over year, Quarter 2 is usually bigger than Quarter 1 so we should see a decent sized increase for Q2.

PS5 Versus PS4 and PS3

For the 1st quarter of the 3rd full FY (yellow) the 3.3 million the PS5 shipped is 200k down on PS4's 3.5 million and 2.2 million up on PS3's 1.1 million. After 11 quarters PS5 totals 41.7 million compared to 43.7 million for PS4 and 23.8 million for PS3. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 2 million down on PS4 and 17.9 million up on PS3.

Note: the Quarterly numbers for the final three years of PS3 are estimates using vgchartz numbers as a guide.
PS5 versus current competitors

For the 1st quarter of the 3rd full FY (yellow) the 3.3 million the PS5 shipped is 1.9 million up on XBS' 1.4 million (est) and 1.17 million up on NSW's 2.13 million. After 11 quarters PS5 totals 41.7 million compared to 23.2 million (est) for XBS and 41.67 million for NSW. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 18.5 million (est) up on XBS and 0.03 million up on NSW.
Note: XBS hardware shipments are my personal estimates based on it's hardware revenue.
Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 09 August 2023

Switch has won the first quarter, wonder who will win the third.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

This shouldn't even be a question when full fiscal year's forecasts are 15m by Nintendo and 25m by Sony.

3.3m for the first quarter is a weak result when you are aiming for 25m. It confirms what I had suspected, that Sony's temporary price cuts in July and onwards were a necessity due to a presumably slower than expected (by Sony themselves) April to June period. The launch of a new SKU in combination with a permanent price cut for the PS5 this fall is already a given. Whether that cut will be $50 or $100 is up in the air, but if Sony wants to meet that 25m target, they'll have to make the most expensive PS5 SKU $450/€450 at the most.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

probably the next quarter will be much higher but it's a good number. I believe ps5 will catch up with ps4 in october

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

Hardware Sales for Quarter 1 FY 23/24 are up 900k year over year, Quarter 2 is usually bigger than Quarter 1 so we should see a decent sized increase for Q2.

PS5 Versus PS4 and PS3

For the 1st quarter of the 3rd full FY (yellow) the 3.3 million the PS5 shipped is 200k down on PS4's 3.5 million and 2.2 million up on PS3's 1.1 million. After 11 quarters PS5 totals 41.7 million compared to 43.7 million for PS4 and 23.8 million for PS3. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 2 million down on PS4 and 17.9 million up on PS3.

Note: the Quarterly numbers for the final three years of PS3 are estimates using vgchartz numbers as a guide.

For the 1st quarter of the 3rd full FY (yellow) the 3.3 million the PS5 shipped is 1.9 million up on XBS 1.4 million (est) and 1.17 million up on NSW 2.13 million. After 11 quarters PS5 totals 41.7 million compared to 23.2 million (est) for XBS and 41.67 million for NSW. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 18.5 million up on XBS and 0.03 million up on NSW.
Note: XBS hardware shipments are my personal estimates based on it's hardware revenue.

Hey man, would you have the table of the time it took each playstation to get to each of the 10M milestones?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Sony's fiscal year forecast is 25 million. That leaves about 21.7 million for the remaining three quarters.
Next 9 months are going to be massive for the PS5.

ShadowLink93 said:

PS5 Versus PS4 and PS3

For the 1st quarter of the 3rd full FY (yellow) the 3.3 million the PS5 shipped is 1.9 million up on XBS 1.4 million (est) and 1.17 million up on NSW 2.13 million. After 11 quarters PS5 totals 41.7 million compared to 23.2 million (est) for XBS and 41.67 million for NSW. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 18.5 million up on XBS and 0.03 million up on NSW.

This is so informative. Thanks

Geralt99 said:

Sony's fiscal year forecast is 25 million. That leaves about 21.7 million for the remaining three quarters.
Next 9 months are going to be massive for the PS5.

It'll be very difficult to reach that target, considering the ps4 only ever reached 20 million in a fiscal year and the ps5 is already behind that year. It's possible, but hard to see happening with how few first party releases sony have coming in the next few months. Spiderman will definitely shift a lot of consoles but they'll need more to hit this target. 

RolStoppable said:
Qwark said:

This shouldn't even be a question when full fiscal year's forecasts are 15m by Nintendo and 25m by Sony.

3.3m for the first quarter is a weak result when you are aiming for 25m. It confirms what I had suspected, that Sony's temporary price cuts in July and onwards were a necessity due to a presumably slower than expected (by Sony themselves) April to June period. The launch of a new SKU in combination with a permanent price cut for the PS5 this fall is already a given. Whether that cut will be $50 or $100 is up in the air, but if Sony wants to meet that 25m target, they'll have to make the most expensive PS5 SKU $450/€450 at the most.

I can still see Switch overshooting it's target whilst PS5 remains lacking behind it's target, troughout the whole year. As of now Switch could still win.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar