By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Signs of a new PS5 start appearing in stores

super_etecoon said:

Am I the only one who thinks the current PS5 is the ugliest console they have ever made?

Definitely not. I’d say it’s a contender for ugliest console ever made in general. At least mainstream it certainly is.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:

Am I the only one who thinks the current PS5 is the ugliest console they have ever made?

Its my least favorite home console in terms of appearance for sure.

Its so gigantic - it makes my Xbox Series S, PS4, PS3 and Switch look tiny in comparison.

Takes up so much space too lol

super_etecoon said:

The original PlayStation is pretty ugly, mostly due to its colour, but PS5 is ugly too - just in a different way. That's one of the reasons I'm personally waiting for... an improved situation before getting one.

I sold my tank PS5 earlier this year. I hope a 399 slim is on the horizon, definitely will pick one up. Also, I hope the disc drive thing is false, the disc drive should just be standard as it's the model that makes up the vast majority of PS5 sales.

Hiku said:
OneTime said:

How much money does it save not having a disk drive? $30?

Millions, but not because of the cost of the drive itself. But because Sony will get a bigger share of each game sale when it's digital straight from their own store instead of a physical copy from a third party retailer. Publishers also profit more from digital.

Random_Matt said:

It won't be a slim, impossible to have a major die shrink.

@Random_Matt 
The heatsink/heatpipes and power supply are taking up most of the space.

By moving those to the outside, a guy on youtube made his own functional PS5 Slim.

Obviousy Sony have much greater leeway in this since they can redesigning components, but it's interesting to see how small you can technically make the current PS5 in concept, even if it's not very practical. 

Yeah, the heatsink was massive, but the Slim is very likely coming with an apu redesign, maybe even phasing out the liquid metal as well, that should be the major point of doing it.

And we would probably be getting rumors of that smaller apu already if that would be getting released in around 3 months from now.

I doubt we will see the Slim release this year, but who knows.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
super_etecoon said:

Definitely not. I’d say it’s a contender for ugliest console ever made in general. At least mainstream it certainly is.

It's actually quite pretty in person, even as I dislike it not being symmetrical because of the disc drive.

But it really is just too big.

BraLoD said:
S.Peelman said:

It's actually quite pretty in person, even as I dislike it not being symmetrical because of the disc drive.

I've seen it in person and it's a gigantic atrocity.

NobleTeam360 said:

I sold my tank PS5 earlier this year. I hope a 399 slim is on the horizon, definitely will pick one up. Also, I hope the disc drive thing is false, the disc drive should just be standard as it's the model that makes up the vast majority of PS5 sales.

But they will sell both the console and the disc drive, so you choose what you want when getting one.

They can use it to officially decrease its price to $400 when its actually just the digital version modified a bit, and sell the drive for $40 without a drive cover and $50 with a drive cover to make it look exactly like the standard PS5 does, but cheaper.

I'm really not interested in that myself, but I can see it being better to everybody.

The Slim is where my interest is at.

The Pro... meh.

mZuzek said:
BraLoD said:

People used to tell me the same about the PS3 Super Slim, I bought one and I loved how it looked.

I don't love how the PS5 looks, but looking to mine every single day it actually is quite pretty, what puts me off are both the lack of symmetry and the size, that thing is really just bigger than it should.

BraLoD said:
mZuzek said:

People used to tell me the same about the PS3 Super Slim, I bought one and I loved how it looked.

I don't love how the PS5 looks, but looking to mine every single day it actually is quite pretty, what puts me off are both the lack of symmetry and the size, that thing is really just bigger than it should.

Fair enough, maybe I wouldn't mind it if it was smaller, but any elegance the design might've had is ruined by the thing quite literally bigger than my desktop computer