By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When do you think the Switch Successor will release?

Will the Switch successor launch in 2024?

Yes 3 75.00%

No 1 25.00%

Total:4

I voted for March 2025. The latest game announcements seem to indicate a release bit earlier than that.

Around the Network

I initially was thinking a 2025 release before all these leaks and rumors came out.
However, based on all the leaks and rumors every single one points towards a 2024 release and I haven't seen one rumor that is pointing towards a 2025 release, while yes they are still rumors so we need to take it with a grain of salt, but in my years following the games industry I tend to notice that when multiple rumors persist on the same idea, its probably true. So now I'm thinking we're going to see this release Holiday 2024.

Also, Nintendo's 2024 game lineup for Switch also just screams we're at the end of the Switch generation, the only real original game that's confirmed for 2024 is Princess Peach Showtime, which imo is far from an A-tier title created by Nintendo's A-tier team. The rest of the Switch's lineup is just remakes and remaster that I imagine don't take much time and resources to create and take a heavy amount of development away from Switch 2.

Of course, there still could be that possibility that another unannounced A-tier Switch game may release in 2024, but considering the fact that Nintendo put a remake of a 20 year old game as their "one last thing" announcement gives me heavy vibes that they have no other A-tier Switch titles to show and it's difficult to imagine Nintendo waiting til 2025 to release the Switch 2 if 2024 has not much more than remasters/remakes.

It makes sense tho why the Switch gen would end around this time, every major franchise has recieved proper representation on Switch, with some franchises having two games within the same gen. Trying to create more A-tier titles for the Switch this late in 2023 would easily push the successor back 2-3 years from releasing since A-tier development cycles takes around 2-4 years. If we were to see lets say a 3D Mario for Switch 1 only in Holiday 2024, we wouldn't see the next one until maybe 2028 which would leave the Switch 2 without games for years if Nintendo was still focusing on Switch 1 this late, and with Switch sales begining to drop Nintendo doesn't want to wait that long and lose momentum by the time they release Switch 2. So contrary to what I said months ago on this thread, Switch 2 releasing in 2024 seems like a good time and I think it will happen.

javi741 said:

I initially was thinking a 2025 release before all these leaks and rumors came out.
However, based on all the leaks and rumors every single one points towards a 2024 release and I haven't seen one rumor that is pointing towards a 2025 release, while yes they are still rumors so we need to take it with a grain of salt, but in my years following the games industry I tend to notice that when multiple rumors persist on the same idea, its probably true. So now I'm thinking we're going to see this release Holiday 2024.

Also, Nintendo's 2024 game lineup for Switch also just screams we're at the end of the Switch generation, the only real original game that's confirmed for 2024 is Princess Peach Showtime, which imo is far from an A-tier title created by Nintendo's A-tier team. The rest of the Switch's lineup is just remakes and remaster that I imagine don't take much time and resources to create and take a heavy amount of development away from Switch 2.

Of course, there still could be that possibility that another unannounced A-tier Switch game may release in 2024, but considering the fact that Nintendo put a remake of a 20 year old game as their "one last thing" announcement gives me heavy vibes that they have no other A-tier Switch titles to show and it's difficult to imagine Nintendo waiting til 2025 to release the Switch 2 if 2024 has not much more than remasters/remakes.

It makes sense tho why the Switch gen would end around this time, every major franchise has recieved proper representation on Switch, with some franchises having two games within the same gen. Trying to create more A-tier titles for the Switch this late in 2023 would easily push the successor back 2-3 years from releasing since A-tier development cycles takes around 2-4 years. If we were to see lets say a 3D Mario for Switch 1 only in Holiday 2024, we wouldn't see the next one until maybe 2028 which would leave the Switch 2 without games for years if Nintendo was still focusing on Switch 1 this late, and with Switch sales begining to drop Nintendo doesn't want to wait that long and lose momentum by the time they release Switch 2. So contrary to what I said months ago on this thread, Switch 2 releasing in 2024 seems like a good time and I think it will happen.

Yeah after Mario Wonder Nintendo is just gonna be coasting in on first party software for the Switch. With the successor almost certainly 11-13 months away now all their main teams are gonna be working full steam on next gen games. I'd expect to see 3D Mario, MK9, and maybe even Prime 4 all on next gen in late 2024.

Maaaybe one more pokemon is coming to Switch next year to take advantage of the huge userbase, but other than that I doubt we'll see a big first party AAA game next year on Switch.

And yeah there is no reason to hold successor to 2025 at this point. All that would do is give Nintendo a weak 2024 and very weak holiday 2024. Switch is already playing a distant second to PS5 in NA and Europe and surely Nintendo won't want that to continue for more than another 12 months. Plenty for Switch owners to play and buy, but dev is definitely fully focused on next gen games now.

Initially planned to holiday 2024, but delayed to March 2025 to polish the launch titles.

Good to see that almost everyone is on the same page with this now. Hopefully it's not that far into 2024 before they officially announce it and have a presentation going in depth on it.

Around the Network

Holiday 2024 with announcement in Q2.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

The sooner the better, this way it won't be affected by the incoming cliff.

Successor in summer 2025 because Pokemon let’s go Chikorita is coming next year for Switch

I see a repeat from the NX days.

Delayed launch to March 2025 for needing time to polish the better experiences early on and having a more consistent year lineup overall. People tend to forget how heavy on ports the Switch first two years was. I don't think they have the luxury here since the Super Switch will have BC.

Most of the first year line up will have to be pretty much full of new 1st party games and ports of late 8th gen games and current gen as well.

Anywoo, can't wait for Monolith Soft to rock my socks off with their next game. Wonder if they'll be able to push the hardware hard enough from the get go like Xenoblade 2 did.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

@Mar1217 I don't see it being delayed to March 2025 honestly. It will probably have 3D Mario & Mario Kart in launch window, and I can't see those games needing more time after holiday 2024. Switch was probably delayed out of holiday 2016 because maybe BOTW needed more time (I'm pretty sure other titles like MK8 DX & SMO were finished well in advance of their eventual release dates). Definitely couldn't launch the Switch without Zelda.