By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New EU regulation will require phones, portable gaming devices to have user replaceable batteries starting in 2027

https://overkill.wtf/eu-replaceable-battery-legislation-steam-deck-switch-handhelds/

https://bgr.com/tech/eu-might-not-force-apple-to-make-iphones-with-user-replaceable-batteries-after-all/

Highlights:

• The law comes into effect in 2027
  • The law requires devices to have easily user replaceable batteries, meaning they can be replaced with tools the user would already likely have at home (no proprietary tools)
  • An EU official confirmed this isn't just for phones, but extends to portable gaming devices
  • Will likely only impact new products released after 2026, so a Switch 2 released in say 2024 for instance wouldn't be required to have a replaceable battery, but any new Switch 2 model such as a Lite or Pro or refresh model released after 2026 would require a user replaceable battery
  • The new law is expected to face steep opposition from phone manufacturers and others, as it cuts into the profits they receive from many users buying a whole new phone/device every few years due to declining battery life
  • There are a few exemptions to the law, a waterproof device isn't required to have a replaceable battery, and a device using a high-quality battery, which the EU defines as a battery that maintains at least 83% of it's battery life after 500 cycles and at least 80% after 1000 cycles, are also exempt. These exemptions would likely mean that all high-end phone models such as numbered iPhones and the Samsung Galaxy S line would be exempt, but lower end models which often use cheaper batteries would need to either use higher quality batteries, or be designed for easy user replacement of the battery (meaning the possible return of 2 piece smartphones on the budget tier, the end of the current era of 90+% of smartphones having a unibody construction)
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 16 July 2023

Around the Network

Good, as it should be.

Premium smartphones are essentially exempt because they're all waterproof (or are they considered water resistant?) and have high quality batteries.

Do people buy a new phone every few years because the battery is dying or because it's the device they use the most every single day and want to switch it up? I buying a new iPhone soon and selling/giving away my Galaxy, it has nothing to do with the battery

shikamaru317 said:

https://overkill.wtf/eu-replaceable-battery-legislation-steam-deck-switch-handhelds/

https://bgr.com/tech/eu-might-not-force-apple-to-make-iphones-with-user-replaceable-batteries-after-all/

Highlights:

• The law requires devices to have easily user replaceable batteries, meaning they can be replaced with tools the user would already likely have at home (no proprietary tools)
  • An EU official confirmed this isn't just for phones, but extends to portable gaming devices
  • Will likely only impact new products released after 2026, so a Switch 2 released in say 2024 for instance wouldn't be required to have a replaceable battery, but any new Switch 2 model such as a Lite or Pro or refresh model released after 2026 would require a user replaceable battery
  • The new law is expected to face steep opposition from phone manufacturers and others, as it cuts into the profits they receive from users needing to buy a whole new phone/device every few years due to declining battery life
  • There are a few exemptions to the law, a waterproof device isn't required to have a replaceable battery, and a device using a high-quality battery, which the EU defines as a battery that maintains at least 83% of it's battery life after 500 cycles and at least 80% after 1000 cycles, are also exempt 

Just for precision's sake, user replaceable doesn't mean toolless, so those exchangeable battery bricks from cellphones of yesteryear are probably not coming back. What they can't do anymore however is glue them in place, which removed the possibility to exchange them as they would generally break from the stress if tried; and even if someone manage to get them off without breaking them, there was no way to fix a new one in place. And even after all those hoops were passed, there was always the possibility that the firmware refused to work with the new hardware (looking at you, Apple!).

Apart from phones, ultrabooks and handheld devices are deeply affected by this ruling, as glueing components in was a quick and easy way to fix them in place without having any need for standoff for screws or the like, meaning they got so thin because they could glue the components. As a result, most devices will probably get a bit bigger again under this ruling.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Highlights:

• The new law is expected to face steep opposition from phone manufacturers and others, as it cuts into the profits they receive from users needing to buy a whole new phone/device every few years due to declining battery life
  • There are a few exemptions to the law, a waterproof device isn't required to have a replaceable battery, and a device using a high-quality battery, which the EU defines as a battery that maintains at least 83% of it's battery life after 500 cycles and at least 80% after 1000 cycles, are also exempt 

Just for precision's sake, user replaceable doesn't mean toolless, so those exchangeable battery bricks from cellphones of yesteryear are probably not coming back. What they can't do anymore however is glue them in place, which removed the possibility to exchange them as they would generally break from the stress if tried; and even if someone manage to get them off without breaking them, there was no way to fix a new one in place. And even after all those hoops were passed, there was always the possibility that the firmware refused to work with the new hardware (looking at you, Apple!).

Apart from phones, ultrabooks and handheld devices are deeply affected by this ruling, as glueing components in was a quick and easy way to fix them in place without having any need for standoff for screws or the like, meaning they got so thin because they could glue the components. As a result, most devices will probably get a bit bigger again under this ruling.

Yeah, I don't really mind needing to unscrew some things, as long as I only need a screwdriver that is already in my 62 piece screwdriver kit, and not some proprietary screw that I have to buy from the manufacturer for a jacked up price, and this law prevents the use of proprietary tools being required for battery replacement. My other main issue is that many of these current smartphones feature a unibody design using glue to hold the unibody together, meaning that the only way you can even get the phone open to get at it's internals and battery, is to heat the phone up with a blow dryer on high for several minutes, and then use a spreader to try and pry open the now weakened by heat adhesive. Hopefully this law means that devices using unibody glue construction also won't be allowed anymore, as that is the opposite of easy, and the law claims that batteries need to be easily user replaceable. Just give me a 2 piece case with some screws hidden behind little rubber plugs you can remove with needle nose pliers or something, no nonsense glue construction.

Around the Network

Good, but I wish it was sooner. How we got away from this pisses me off.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

LurkerJ said:

Premium smartphones are essentially exempt because they're all waterproof (or are they considered water resistant?) and have high quality batteries.

Do people buy a new phone every few years because the battery is dying or because it's the device they use the most every single day and want to switch it up? I buying a new iPhone soon and selling/giving away my Galaxy, it has nothing to do with the battery

Waterproof doesn't just mean protected from "water splashing on the phone and being submerged for half an hour 1M deep" (IP67 and IP68 standards), but for devices that are specifically designed to be used, for the majority of the active service of the appliance, in an environment that is regularly subject to splashing water, water streams or water immersion. , so this doesn't apply to most consumer phones apart from speacial rugged ones, which are designed for this possibility. Action cams could claim this - but those in general already come with exchangeable batteries, so they're not really affected, either.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 16 July 2023

'EU defines as a battery that maintains at least 83% of it's battery life after 500 cycles and at least 80% after 1000 cycles, are also exempt'

Do we know roughly what the bar currently is for flagship phones on this front? I just grabbed an s23 ultra & can't imagine having to upgrade for a very long time except for battery degradation...

I'm surprised people have battery problems. I feel like my portable electronics go out of date long before I have battery issues. I tend to keep a phone 5 to 8 years.

This should have been applied years ago.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.