By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New EU regulation will require phones, portable gaming devices to have user replaceable batteries starting in 2027

SvennoJ said:
Chrkeller said:

I'm surprised people have battery problems. I feel like my portable electronics go out of date long before I have battery issues. I tend to keep a phone 5 to 8 years.

I've only had battery problems with replaceable batteries... PSP, Wii mote / 360 battery packs, laptop batteries, camera batteries, and all the rechargeable AA batteries. (Big mess that turned into over the years, no clue which ones are still good, mix and match) Everything with a build in battery still works.

However this does make it a lot easier to dispose of them correctly. No more having to break open bad controllers to get the battery out before throwing them in the trash. And maybe Nintendo will be forced to stop using triangle screws? Or is that a standard in Japan?

Although the triwing screws are commonly associated with Nintendo since they use them so often, they are not proprietary and thus will stay.