By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Physical or digital?

How do you buy your games?

Physical 26 36.11%

Digital 17 23.61%

Both 29 40.28%

Total:72

I know this doesn't really answer the deeper philosophical question you are trying to get an answer too, but I use both physical and digital across all of my media, and I mainly just chase wherever the best deals are. There are a few exceptions to this:

1. All of my Music is digital and I almost never buy music. it is just much easier to have music on a device like my phone then have a whole shelf of Vinyls, though I will admit I like the album art.
2. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I only buy physical books. E-readers and tablets give me major headaches, where as reading a physical book is a pleasant experience all around.
3. The rare few times I buy movies it is physical only, and only 4k UHD Blu-Ray. The difference in sound quality and image consistency vs. streaming is huge.

As for video games, I just go where the deals are. Although sometimes I will buy a physical game if the box art really grabs me

Around the Network

I always go for physical releases when available, however most PSVR2 games don't get a physical release :/ Thus both.

Big AAA releases without a physical disc, those I avoid. I can understand why an indie developer isn't able to print discs for a niche peripheral, yet there's no excuse for Alan Wake 2 and with Starfield I'll wait until confirmed there's actually a game on the disc and not just an installer...

All books I read are physical.

All my music is physical and I still buy CDs

All my movies are physical but I do use Netflix now and then. However looking forward to the 18th when TloU will arrive on 4K blu-ray :)

Digital on everything except the switch. Would love to go digital on the switch but nintendo's digital sharing program doesn't work with a family.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Digital only when necessary.

It really depends. When it's a game/series I am passionate about, I usually go with physical because I tend to get deluxe or collectors editions. For everything else, I buy the cheapest option.

Around the Network

Both most mainly physical.
I only buy digital if there is a really good deal or if its an exclusive digital release.

For full games the ratio is around ~95% on Switch and around 75% in Playstation.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I used to say physical, but now digital.

Physical most of the time. Digital only if they're dirt cheap and I really wasn't so interested in it to begin with, and if it turns out I really enjoyed the game that I bought digitally I'd end up buying the physical copy (if they have it).

Physical 90% of the time. The last 10% are indie games that will (most likely) not get a physical release or something like a collection of games I'm not so sure about for a low price. For example, I got Watch Dogs 1 and 2 on a pack for $10 on digital. I liked them so I'll get them on physical as well.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!