NES + Gameboy 0 0%

SNES + Gameboy 6 12.00%

N64 + Gameboy (Colour) 2 4.00%

Gamecube + GBA 2 4.00%

Wii + DS 8 16.00%

Wii U + 3DS 2 4.00%

Switch 30 60.00%

Total:50

It's Switch no other really compares to it at this point it's Nintendo's best overall platform.

Around the Network

Switch is ahead by a huge margin. The ability to undock the system and continue to play the same game is already a huge benefit, but what makes it more amazing is that it's home console games being made portable instead of handheld games being played stationary. Anyone who has played Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 (or other equivalents) knows what I am talking about.

Switch also largely eliminated the bias against Nintendo home consoles that Japanese third parties had held. It used to be that JRPGs were a handheld thing for about two decades, but now it's all coming together again.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

I never was big on Nintendo handhelds, because I've never really been big into handheld or on-the-go gaming in general. However, the Switch is absolutely the best of both worlds, and I'd argue it's the best Nintendo system since the SNES.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Switch, of course.

That said, the hybrid nature of the Switch + a unified library is next level. It’s an advantage based on it being a different style of console compared to the home and handheld console era. It’s also a very good combination - unlike say a coffee maker + coffee grinder which is a horrible combo :D

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Pajderman said:
Pemalite said:

Wii+DS is redundant as the WiiU+3DS can pretty much play that entire library and then it's own.

For me SNES+Gameboy, it's what I had as a teenager and I have many fond memories. Rose tinted glasses.

Wii + DS can play Gamecube games, something the WiiU + 3DS combo cannot. The GBA library is a lot smaller on WiiU virtual console as well compared to the full library of GBA games playable on DS.

I think the addition of Gamecube and GBA games is more worth than the 3DS and WiiU library, if Wii and DS games is playable in both constellations. But I'm a bit biased and did not enjoy much of the WiiU and 3DS library. Still would not call the combo redundant. 

WiiU is able to play gamecube games once you homebrew your console... Likewise with the 3DS you have flashcarts that will allow you to play GBA games.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Pajderman said:

Wii + DS can play Gamecube games, something the WiiU + 3DS combo cannot. The GBA library is a lot smaller on WiiU virtual console as well compared to the full library of GBA games playable on DS.

I think the addition of Gamecube and GBA games is more worth than the 3DS and WiiU library, if Wii and DS games is playable in both constellations. But I'm a bit biased and did not enjoy much of the WiiU and 3DS library. Still would not call the combo redundant. 

WiiU is able to play gamecube games once you homebrew your console... Likewise with the 3DS you have flashcarts that will allow you to play GBA games.

But if we consider what the systems can do with hacks and not natively nothing but the latest (and most powerful) systems will matter for the discussion. I still think there is value in being able to play the big library of physical games collected from previous systems even if we allow software changes. Most ways to obtain the iso or rom files require additional hardware or legally questionable methods as well.

I personally judge a system based on what new games it brings to the table rather than what old games I can replay on it, since by the time the Wii U came out for instance I'd already played everything I was interested in on Wii, and if I did want to revisit them, I could do so on original hardware.

As such, I rank Wii above Wii U, as I feel it had the stronger original library.

Pajderman said:
Pemalite said:

But if we consider what the systems can do with hacks and not natively nothing but the latest (and most powerful) systems will matter for the discussion. I still think there is value in being able to play the big library of physical games collected from previous systems even if we allow software changes. Most ways to obtain the iso or rom files require additional hardware or legally questionable methods as well.

The WiiU was natively capable of running Gamecube software, Nintendo just never enabled it, which is what the homebrew software enables, no ISO or Rom files required. - Just pop your disc in and play.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

The WiiU was natively capable of running Gamecube software, Nintendo just never enabled it, which is what the homebrew software enables, no ISO or Rom files required. - Just pop your disc in and play.

The WiiU is capable of running Gamecube games but not read Gamecube discs.

I was tempted by nostalgia to vote Wii+DS, but the Switch is just that much better.