By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much will Nintendo cut the price of the Switch?

Hi everyone. Just like the title says, I'm wondering how much you guys think Nintendo will cut the price of the base model of the Switch. It's been selling well at $300 for over 6 years now, but sales are slowing down. My guess is that they'll reduce the price of the console before this holiday season to bring in new consumers, especially with Super Mario Wonder coming out around that time. 

I think a $50 price reduction wouldn't be enough to generate a big boost in sales and, since they make most of their money on software, I think they're more likely to drop it down to $200 for the base model, $250 for OLED, and $150 for the Switch lite. I'm kind of pulling these numbers out of my butt, but it just sounds right to me. Wondering what you guys think.

Side prediction: I think they'll officially announce the Switch successor next year for a spring release in 2025 alongside a new 3D Mario.

I tried to add a poll to this but I'm not sure how to do that.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

Around the Network

Didn't mean to post this without the poll. Mods please delete this to save me from embarrassment

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

They won't cut the price just to cut the price. They'll need to see that more people buy it at the lower price.

I suspect that they will halve the price at some point to $150, but they'll be pushing it in less-wealthy countries. I don't think that US or Europe need lower prices - if anything people would buy a second unit (which just fudges the sales number and doesn't really make much money for Nintendo)

Install base for selling the games is everything.

It won't happen. Big price drops like we saw during the PS3/X360 era are a thing of the past. Hell, PS5 and Xbox Series both received a price hike recently. Besides, there is no incentive for Nintendo to drop the price: Switch sales are still strong, and the console is in the phase of its life where software sales are more important than hardware sales. I'd sooner expect the re-introduction of the Nintendo select series, offering old first party titles at a reduced price.

They will discontinue the original Switch and drop the OLED to $299.99 so Switch 2 can take the $349.99 price.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

They will discontinue the original Switch and drop the OLED to $299.99 so Switch 2 can take the $349.99 price.

Agreed 

zorg1000 said:

This.  If they want to drive console sales further than they will probably just bundle in a game or two with it and possibly increase the storage capacity. 

Personally, I would like to see them drop the price of the Lite model to $150 at some point and also bundle a game in.  This is because the Lite model is currently the cheapest way for a person to get into gaming on a dedicated device.  By keeping the price at $200 there are some consumers that are being priced out of the gaming market.

I'm still waiting for the Switch TV with controller for 200€...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The switch sold at a profit day one. if switch is gonna be as advanced as the rumored specs no way it's not 399$, but maybe they made a deal with intel who knows

Darwinianevolution said:

I'm still waiting for the Switch TV with controller for 200€...

Hope youre not active waiting...