By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Bros Wonder announced; all new 2D Mario (Update: Out now!)

Reached World 4 - 5 hours in.

The Badge challenge for the Parachute Cap II was hellish but I got through it lol

Around the Network

Wonder is a great example that even low spec hardware is capable of producing beautiful results, provided your art direction and optimization are on point.

Thanks to smart use of the Switch's limited resources, it looks vibrant, clean, and silky smooth, and its the kind of game that will still look nice years from now when a lot of more technically advanced games are showing their age.

Mar1217 said:
Runa216 said:

Alright, so who had their 'clincher' moment the Piranha Plant Parade? Y'all know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm surprised how early they pulled off that card honestly. Definitely makes a great impression right at the start.

My moment was on Rolla Koopa Derby personally. It was straight up magical

Oh that one was also magical. 

I'm not super far. I'm juggling this and Spider-Man while also spending most of my time on work so I tend to take a long time on games (I only just finished the FF Pixel Remasters this past weekend), but I've liked or loved every level so far. 

And that one level, the one with the disappearing and reappearing blocks I've seen show up in the 'this is a super difficult end game level I played near the beginning' youtube and twitter clips? Did it on my third try. I'm not even good at Mario, I just didn't find it that hard. The timing was pretty specific, and the only problem with the level is getting the purple coins as well. Two times I got them and died. the other time I managed to get it AND keep up with the beat. 

Very fun game design. And all the reviews saying you'll truly never know what you're getting when you get a wonder seed is true! Some of these levels and options are delightful. A blast from start to finish. I unironically am enjoying this more than Spider-Man, which is a game I'm also immensely enjoying. What a great past weekend for us as gamers overall! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Really like the talking flowers. Makes me chuckle from time to time.

KLXVER said:

Really like the talking flowers. Makes me chuckle from time to time.

The early media made me think I'd dislike them but they've pretty consistently been a delight. Everything about this game is utterly delightful and I'm here for it. 

I still absolutely LOVE NSMB U (I think it's horribly underrated and exhibits all the best qualities of a Mario game or platformer in general), but this is definitely better. IT's got similar levels of level design and creativity and originality with infinitely more charm and polish. Both are great but I'm only 3 worlds in and I agree this is the best 2D Mario platformer since Super Mario World. Yoshi's Island doesn't count. but if it did, my top 5: 

1 - Super Mario World

2 - Super Mario Bros. 3

3 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

4 - Super Mario Bros. Wonder

5 - New Super Mario Bros. U

Then again those are the only 'great' ones if you ask me. 1 and 2 were mid. the Mario Land games were mid. And the New Super Mario Bros. games, outside of U, were all mid. All fine, but nothing special. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

im too poor to afford this right now. last nsmb game to come out was a yawn fest. does this game evolve the franchise in any way or is everybody liking it just because its been over ten years since we got one and the fatigue has worn off?

CatGuy said:

im too poor to afford this right now. last nsmb game to come out was a yawn fest. does this game evolve the franchise in any way or is everybody liking it just because its been over ten years since we got one and the fatigue has worn off?

Yes and yes. It's been a long time and NMSBU was pretty easy so now Wonder scores better with those looking for a bit more of a challenge and there are lots of secrets to find if you're into that. I'm still on the fence whether I'll end up liking this more than NSMBU which had quite a few awesome levels. I haven't found the magic of Painted Swampland yet in Wonder

Wonder reminds me a lot of Rayman Legends, kinda starting to crave for a new Rayman platformer now.

You won't be disappointed with Wonder, not possible. And it's definitely more challenging than NSMB so shouldn't be a yawn fest!

SvennoJ said:
CatGuy said:

Yes and yes. It's been a long time and NMSBU was pretty easy so now Wonder scores better with those looking for a bit more of a challenge and there are lots of secrets to find if you're into that. I'm still on the fence whether I'll end up liking this more than NSMBU which had quite a few awesome levels. I haven't found the magic of Painted Swampland yet in Wonder

Wonder reminds me a lot of Rayman Legends, kinda starting to crave for a new Rayman platformer now.

You won't be disappointed with Wonder, not possible. And it's definitely more challenging than NSMB so shouldn't be a yawn fest!

good to know. there are still like 20 games id like to pick up, but i feel like im definitely in the mood for some nsmb. but not if its a carbon copy of the older ones. i have had enough of that to last a lifetime i think. im in medical school so have no time to play games anymore, and even if i did i cant afford shit. it sucks.

Yeah this is most definitely not just more NSMB.
There's more creativity and ambition in some individual levels of this game than in the entirety of any NSMB game.
The level design is much more interesting and clever, controls are tighter, gameplay is more varied, visuals are prettier, music sounds better, it's a significant improvement across the board.

you guys are getting me excited, dont let me down

i must say, this was very unexpected. the first clue was that it scored over 90 on metacritic. that blew me away when i saw that.