By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Bros Wonder announced; all new 2D Mario (Update: Out now!)

curl-6 said:

There's just so much more character and detail put into this game compared to NSMB

It's 2023. That mario model came out in 2006 on DS. Bravo Nintendo.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 24 June 2023

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

There's just so much more character and detail put into this game compared to NSMB

Actually no, that's NSMBU from 2012. And I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about character. Things like grabbing his hat as he goes into a pipe, or how there's more expression in his animations. It's a style thing, not a graphics thing.

More I watch the trailer and seeing the visuals, I feel like this is the true successor to SMB3/SMW - really excited.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Actually no, that's NSMBU from 2012. And I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about character. Things like grabbing his hat as he goes into a pipe, or how there's more expression in his animations. It's a style thing, not a graphics thing.

I mean they practically all use the same model from the Ds version. Here is the wii version for reference. Yes 2023 games character are gonna have more expression, animations and more detail that just about goes for every game coming out a decade later. like if they actually used the same model from NSMBU it would be laughable. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPWji12pVyw&t=105s

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I mean they practically all use the same model from the Ds version. Here is the wii version for reference. Yes 2023 games character are gonna have more expression, animations and more detail that just about goes for every game coming out a decade later. like if they actually used the same model from NSMBU it would be laughable. 

That is incorrect, the models have been dumped online and the DS and Wii U games do not use the same one.

And no, that doesn't necessarily follow at all. Style is not inherently tied to technology. Mario grabbing his hat is a matter of style, not processing power.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

That is incorrect, the models have been dumped online and the DS and Wii U games do not use the same one.

And no, that doesn't necessarily follow at all. Style is not inherently tied to technology. Mario grabbing his hat is a matter of style, not processing power.

Ok, but it's diffidently  the same model as the wii version though. While mario grabbing his hat is a style choice. The major upgrade is the mario model and animation and we should expect that cause every game should do that after a decade of using a out dated character model.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Ok, but it's diffidently  the same model as the wii version though. While mario grabbing his hat is a style choice. The major upgrade is the mario model and animation and we should expect that cause every game should do that after a decade of using a out dated character model.

I was talking about the style though, not fidelity. 

zeldaring said:
PAOerfulone said:

How about the people who play games to relax? To unwind and just have a good time?

Easy games w/ great level design and an amazing atmosphere or "feel" are exactly what the doctor orders for those people.
That's why I can go back to, for example, Super Mario Galaxy, at any point, no matter what my mood or circumstance is and instantly feel better because that's what that game does for me and why I love it so much, even if it generally leans much more on the easy side.

What about them? obviously everyone has a preference. That really sounds more like the power of nostalgia for it to make you feel better no matter the circumstance.

You think it would help w/ relaxation or stress relief if those people played games that makes them want to pull their hair out or chuck their controller through a window because of the difficulty.

They're more likely to pick a game they know they can relax and have a good time w/ than one that's going to get their blood pressure going.

PAOerfulone said:
zeldaring said:

What about them? obviously everyone has a preference. That really sounds more like the power of nostalgia for it to make you feel better no matter the circumstance.

You think it would help w/ relaxation or stress relief if those people played games that makes them want to pull their hair out or chuck their controller through a window because of the difficulty.

They're more likely to pick a game they know they can relax and have a good time w/ than one that's going to get their blood pressure going.

Personally for me i get lost when i'm fully focused on the game, other wise my mind goes back to being stressed lol. funny enough yesterday a boss finally made me angry in Elden ring but it was my fault, i just Didn't want  accept defeat so i kept trying for 3 hours till i finally got the sob.

zeldaring said:
PAOerfulone said:

Personally for me i get lost when i'm fully focused on the game, other wise my mind goes back to being stressed lol. funny enough yesterday a boss finally made me angry in Elden ring but it was my fault, i just Didn't want  accept defeat so i kept trying for 3 hours till i finally got the sob.

And that's fine for you.

Others like myself can get lost in a game just by being immersed in the story, characters, and atmosphere of the game w/o it being ball-bustingly hard.

That doesn't make one superior over the other or any of them "bad".