By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May 2023 VGChartz Estimates Thread

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2023 Worldwide Sales Comparison Charts Through May

Here we see data representing the sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and two legacy platforms (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) over comparable periods for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2020 – (January 2020 to May 2020)

2021 – (January 2021 to May 2021)

2022 – (January 2022 to May 2022)

2023 – (January 2023 to May 2023)

"Year to date" sales for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2023 versus 2022 and 2023 versus 2021 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 2.23 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 764,791 units (-25.5%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 5.88 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 602,039 units (-9.3%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 7.44 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 4,164,834 units (127.1%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.08 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 119,544 (-61.1%)
Last edited by trunkswd - on 30 June 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

trunkswd said:

Welfare also pointed out 2022 could be estimated as it has the 2022 Switch figure above 2019, which didn't happen. It is possible this graph was done before 2022 data was all out. If 2022 is not just estimates we are talking ~19.8M for the Xbox Series X|S in 2021 and 2022 combined. Then add whatever it shipped in 2020. 

There are more oddities in the Switch figures, because the graph has Switch twice above 25m. But for 2021 it's either 23.06m for the fiscal year or 23.67m for the calendar year. It's very weak of Microsoft that they can't even properly compile publicly available data.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

trunkswd said:

Welfare also pointed out 2022 could be estimated as it has the 2022 Switch figure above 2019, which didn't happen. It is possible this graph was done before 2022 data was all out. If 2022 is not just estimates we are talking ~19.8M for the Xbox Series X|S in 2021 and 2022 combined. Then add whatever it shipped in 2020. 

There are more oddities in the Switch figures, because the graph has Switch twice above 25m. But for 2021 it's either 23.06m for the fiscal year or 23.67m for the calendar year. It's very weak of Microsoft that they can't even properly compile publicly available data.

Yeah that was pointed out much later. It looks like the data is from someplace called Keystone. There are a lot of discrepancies. Some years are too high and other too low. Someone pixel counted on InstallBase and saw these differences. So this data is actually not helpful at all. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

MS has confirmed the Xbox Series is 21m+ units.

They also confirmed the Xbone is 58m+ units.

kazuyamishima said:

MS has confirmed the Xbox Series is 21m+ units.

They also confirmed the Xbone is 58m+ units.

I'm seeing that is from an ID@Xbox presentation at BIG Festival in Brazil. So this looks the most official data we've had in a long time from Microsoft. But also odd they would share actual figures now after so many years of silence. 

It does show we at VGChartz are pretty close with the Xbox Series X|S as we have it just hitting 22M at the end of May. Though, we don't know when this data is up to. As they share figures quarterly it could be through March? Since the current quarter isn't over yet and 21M+ could be up to 21.99M. 

As far as Xbox One I'll talk with Machina to figure out a game plan. We know Xbox One hit 10M in holiday 2014 and EA estimated it at ~19M at the end of 2015. VGC estimates has Xbox One at 10.72M at the end of 2014 and 19.23M at the end of 2015. So those figures should be fairly close. So adjustments would need to be done for 2016 and later. Right now we have Xbox One estimates at 51.26M. The main thing is figuring out where we are undertracked as we've gotten data for most of the world. Latin America, Asia, MEA, Oceania, and Other Europe are the places we get the least amount of data for.

Around the Network

I saw talk about Xbox One being above 55m before but nothing concrete so good to finally get the final lifetime sales for it. Considering the lack of anything concrete after 2015 only being a bit over 10% of isn't that bad.

trunkswd said:

As far as Xbox One I'll talk with Machina to figure out a game plan. We know Xbox One hit 10M in holiday 2014 and EA estimated it at ~19M at the end of 2015. VGC estimates has Xbox One at 10.72M at the end of 2014 and 19.23M at the end of 2015. So those figures should be fairly close. So adjustments would need to be done for 2016 and later. Right now we have Xbox One estimates at 51.26M. The main thing is figuring out where we are undertracked as we've gotten data for most of the world. Latin America, Asia, MEA, Oceania, and Other Europe are the places we get the least amount of data for.

Do you think any specific places are the most likely to be undertracked?

Norion said:

I saw talk about Xbox One being above 55m before but nothing concrete so good to finally get the final lifetime sales for it. Considering the lack of anything concrete after 2015 only being a bit over 10% of isn't that bad.

trunkswd said:

Do you think any specific places are the most likely to be undertracked?

I'm glad to have concrete data after all these years. As far as knowing the places that are most likely to be undertracked majority of it would likely be in the places we get the least of amount of data for (Latin America, Asia, MEA, Oceania, and Other Europe). But I'm going to go through all our data and the available data to double check everything. 

good job willian. these 21 million I believe are units shipped by March. a decrease of 300 or 400 thousand would be quite accurate. expect Microsoft to release official numbers in the next fiscal quarter

Edit: disregard

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I'm working on the Xbox One adjustments. It will take me a while to get it all done.

Some interesting tidbits is that Ampere has adjusted up there Xbox Series X|S estimates to 19.5M at the end of 2022 and 21.1M at the end of March 2023. At VGChartz we have the Xbox Series X|S at 19.78M at the end of 2022 and 21.3M at the end of March 2023. That is just a 1.4% difference between the two estimates at the end of 2022 and just 0.9% difference at the end of March 2023.

https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/microsoft-at-big-festival-says-xbox-series-x-s-is-at-21m-xbox-one-58m.1764/#post-173895