By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 16 - Hands-on previews (update; Demo reactions)

Ashadelo said:
Leynos said:

Your monitor/TV must suck. The game visually looks great. Esp in 4K.

Never said they didnt look good, just not as good as 7R

The graphics are definitely better, superior lighting & environment detail. Just the main character models (face animation & hair) and magic FX are maybe a step down. Different teams, engines & scales. XVI scale is much bigger.

There were so many areas outside of FFVII intro which looked kinda meh under close inspection. It shone mostly in & around Shinra facilities & openning city sections. 

Last edited by Otter - on 15 June 2023

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

Because it's the full prologue, not a cut-down sales pitch like your average demo, and this being a FF game the story is an essential part of it.

Compare how many people out there are commenting and showering praise on the prologue as opposed to the Eikonic Challenge demo, which is basically only what you wanted instead. It was a stroke of genius to allow people to play it in full.

That being said, I'd probably have cut the intro battle from the whole thing, because it makes the game feel like it has many preludes on top of one another, almost like a slow-paced, middle-of-the-series fantasy book. But that's a nitpick and doesn't detract from the whole thing.

No, I don't want only Eikon gameplay, it takes too long to get into actual gameplay and then it's a really poor tutorial.

The very first bit of gameplay is a rail shooter which we repeat a few hours later. Then controlling a character running through brown rock and then watching cool things happen. There could have had basic stuff here, like a small band of guys you encounter and have to kill, have the basic tutorial instructions here. Then they could have completely cut that tutorial and go into the narrative and first mission quicker.

2 hours in and barely felt like I achieved anything, while FF7 I'd done 2 missions, meet a flower girl and dressed Cloud up to get a perv to choose him for fun times.

I liked Biast, he was cool. I enjoyed the narrative aspects and the gameplay, I just felt the pacing was not good.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

The story parts were intreguing and the gameplay of the demo was good when you were allowed to play, but as a demo for a game, I thought it was pretty bad. Too many cutscenes and one bit you played was just a rail shooter. It needs to get into the game quicker. You know that first mission to kill goblyns? Why wasn't that the start of the game, then your side people can explain plot points and give you instructions on how to play, not just a slow paced arena battle where you are told to press square a few times? I know how to attack, it's basics of playing video games.

People play FF because of the story and setting. There is a literal story mode for that. The story are the best thing of the demo, and allowing the full flashback to be unfolded let us stopping playing in a cliffhanger. Imagine a TV show pilot that end in a big twist and let you wanting the next episode 

I'll be trying out the demo this weekend.

Excited for it!

Can someone confirm if there is no bad taa implementation like in forspoken, that caused the motion blur every time you engage in combat and move the camera.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

People play FF because of the story and setting. There is a literal story mode for that. The story are the best thing of the demo, and allowing the full flashback to be unfolded let us stopping playing in a cliffhanger. Imagine a TV show pilot that end in a big twist and let you wanting the next episode 

I already know I'll like an FF for the story (well, for the most part, last 2 were a bit lacking but i have faith in the FF14 team on that front) but that's not what I'm looking for in the demo. I want to find out if I will enjoy the gameplay due to how it's so different from all previous entries.

Again, I felt like I watched 90 minutes of cutscenes in a 2 hour demo that I (apparently wrongly) presumed was going to try and appeal to me for gameplay. This hasn't made me think "wow the story was great can't wait to watch it", it was "That was a lot of cutscenes, is the main game going to be filled this much with them?"

Nothing against the plot presented to us, it was good and intriguing as mentioned.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I already know I'll like an FF for the story (well, for the most part, last 2 were a bit lacking but i have faith in the FF14 team on that front) but that's not what I'm looking for in the demo. I want to find out if I will enjoy the gameplay due to how it's so different from all previous entries.

Again, I felt like I watched 90 minutes of cutscenes in a 2 hour demo that I (apparently wrongly) presumed was going to try and appeal to me for gameplay. This hasn't made me think "wow the story was great can't wait to watch it", it was "That was a lot of cutscenes, is the main game going to be filled this much with them?"

Nothing against the plot presented to us, it was good and intriguing as mentioned.

It was a bit unbalanced but I also like that this wasn't a designed demo and literally just presented you the first 2 hours of the game, but I see where you're coming from. The goblin hunting section specifically wouldn't have been a better place to start because it lacks all the narrative & spectacle which pulls you in and establishes why the franchise is (can be special)

Anyway lets celebrate that for the first time in about 15 years we're going to get a mainline (offline) Final Fantasy with a well told story :')

XV had a good story on paper but it was butchered and told horribly. Lore was pretty much abandoned.
XIII story was told decently but wasn't very interesting, no key villians, plot twists or intrigue. Too much lore being left to datalogues.

Last edited by Otter - on 16 June 2023

BasilZero said:

I'll be trying out the demo this weekend.

Excited for it!

I'm excited for you! 

One day I'll finally get a PS5, and I feel this will be the first game I play.

twintail said:

I'm excited for you! 

One day I'll finally get a PS5, and I feel this will be the first game I play.

Eh? You dont have a PS5?

Its a great system so far from what I played. Astro's Playroom was really fun.

Hopefully you can get it sometime in the future!