By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Business Perspective) Does MS really need Xbox Hardware?

Tagged games:

zeldaring said:
Azzanation said:

So you prefer Xbox to stay around so you can have cheaper Playstation consoles? You do realize that if Xbox stays around, they will fight for exclusives and instead of paying more for a PS6, you will lose out on games. I would rather pay more for a console that has all the games than pay less and miss out on half the games. 

you remember the ps3. when there is no competition sony can basically get away with everything. they can make everything worse and focus on profits because there is no competition. 

There was competition when the PS3 launched. There has always been competition. Sony raised those prices regardless. 

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
zeldaring said:

you remember the ps3. when there is no competition sony can basically get away with everything. they can make everything worse and focus on profits because there is no competition. 

There was competition when the PS3 launched. There has always been competition. Sony raised those prices regardless. 

Ps2 basically dominated the market for sony for them there was no competition That's why did what ever they wanted with ps3. when competition is healthy gamers win. just look at nintendo and how greedy they were when they thought they owned the market they wanted to stick to carts and treated third party's like crap.

zeldaring said:
Azzanation said:

So you prefer Xbox to stay around so you can have cheaper Playstation consoles? You do realize that if Xbox stays around, they will fight for exclusives and instead of paying more for a PS6, you will lose out on games. I would rather pay more for a console that has all the games than pay less and miss out on half the games. 

The PS3 is a poor example of this. Sony didn't charge $599 to make profit, they didn't charge $599 because they thought they were completely dominant and could get away with charging more. They charged $599 because they had to.

Why? Because they made awful decisions in the design of the console that made it cost them an absolute fortune to make. They charged $599 and still lost billions of dollars. $599 wasn't caused by lack of competition.

People often cite $599 as evidence Sony thought they could get away with anything. In reality $599 was the lowest they could go and still only just get by on life support.

zeldaring said:
Azzanation said:

Ps2 basically dominated the market for sony for them there was no competition That's why did what ever they wanted with ps3. when competition is healthy gamers win. just look at nintendo and how greedy they were when they thought they owned the market they wanted to stick to carts and treated third party's like crap.

Does not matter. With competition we still have these companies taking advantage of you. We have only had 1 modern Generation that was considered healthy across the board interms of competition, however that healthy competition only looked good for the consumers, business wise, the PS3 lost $5b and the 360 lost $4b. Those consoles almost killed the brands themselves. 

You can pretend having competition is helping, all you want, the reality is it isn't. Nintendo, Sony and Xbox have all tried to cheat you while competing with eachother. Meanwhile on PC, its mainly run by Steam for gaming. Now compare Steam to the console industry. Which ecosystem actually offers the best value to its customers. Is it the 3 big one's competition in the console market or the 1 that basically is a monopoly on PC? 

Zippy6 said:
zeldaring said:

The PS3 is a poor example of this. Sony didn't charge $599 to make profit, they didn't charge $599 because they thought they were completely dominant and could get away with charging more. They charged $599 because they had to.

Why? Because they made awful decisions in the design of the console that made it cost them an absolute fortune to make. They charged $599 and still lost billions of dollars. $599 wasn't caused by lack of competition.

People often cite $599 as evidence Sony thought they could get away with anything. In reality $599 was the lowest they could go and still only just get by on life support.

Yes I know they were losing money but that's because they weren't really thinking about the consumer. they basically Made what ever they wanted thinking people would buy it no matter the price because of ps2 total domination. In the end in any business competition is good even if the games go thirdparty I hope there hardware can still sell.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Sad. I don't want to pay 700 USD in my next Playstation 

So you prefer Xbox to stay around so you can have cheaper Playstation consoles? 

Yes

I don't think Xbox has any exclusive appealing to me. Sony will still releasing their first party and getting many japanese games and those kind of games don't sell on Xbox, so right now I just want Playstation to keep lower price

Without Xbox to keep Sony in check Playstation will be 800 USD and games 80 USD

IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

So you prefer Xbox to stay around so you can have cheaper Playstation consoles? 

Yes

I don't think Xbox has any exclusive appealing to me. Sony will still releasing their first party and getting many japanese games and those kind of games don't sell on Xbox, so right now I just want Playstation to keep lower price

Without Xbox to keep Sony in check Playstation will be 800 USD and games 80 USD

Sooo.. you have no faith in Sony doing the right thing by you? You need a platform you don't care about or its games to stay in the industry just so Sony wouldn't raise their prices? How has that worked out so far? Last time I checked, the PS5 recently had a price rise and the PS3 launched at $599 USD while Xbox and Nintendo exist in that industry.

You have to remember, Xbox isn't a charity, someone has to pay for it to exist.

Azzanation said:
zeldaring said:

Does not matter. With competition we still have these companies taking advantage of you. We have only had 1 modern Generation that was considered healthy across the board interms of competition, however that healthy competition only looked good for the consumers, business wise, the PS3 lost $5b and the 360 lost $4b. Those consoles almost killed the brands themselves. 

You can pretend having competition is helping, all you want, the reality is it isn't. Nintendo, Sony and Xbox have all tried to cheat you while competing with eachother. Meanwhile on PC, its mainly run by Steam for gaming. Now compare Steam to the console industry. Which ecosystem actually offers the best value to its customers. Is it the 3 big one's competition in the console market or the 1 that basically is a monopoly on PC? 

I think this is a ridiculous take. Let's say wii dominated the console market and killed Xbox and ps then we would have been stuck with crap hardware for decades. Same with Xbox one if it was the only console we would have been forced to buy kinect 2, much weaker hardware then ps4 and online games only. competition is always good for the consumer.  now with out competition ps6 could be online only and much weaker and there would be no other home console option. 

zeldaring said:
Azzanation said:

I think this is a ridiculous take. Let's say wii dominated the console market and killed Xbox and ps then we would have been stuck with crap hardware for decades. Same with Xbox one if it was the only console we would have been forced to buy kinect 2, much weaker hardware then ps4 and online games only. competition is always good for the consumer. 

The Wii did dominate the console market..

It doesn't matter if competition exists or not, these companies will continue to try and exploit you. Customers speak with their wallets, if a device came out with an attachment no one wants, they just wont buy the console. Its as simple as that. No one is forced to buy a Nintendo, PS or Xbox, its all optional and companies know that they need to impress their customers to get them to buy the hardware otherwise customers will just game on their phones and PCs.

Even if all the current rumors are true it is still very premature to call the death of Xbox hardware IMO. Especially when many new actors are just entering it with a different approach. See all those PC Handheld Steam Deck, Rog Ally, Lenovo Legion Go, MSI CLaw, and countless Ayaneo devices.

I think Xbox hardware has a high likelihood of simply becoming a likewise open platform for TV and maybe handled too. A Hardware that does not require exclusives and can be considered successful from just a few m of units sold.