By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CMA blocks MS /ABK merger (Update: UK gov smears the CMA)

Good News.

A publisher like Microsoft is all about a lot of power and money. Gamers have been missing legendary games with great attention to detail for many years. So many empty promises since the Xbox One. They only want the biggest studios with ALL their ip's and to take the games away from the competition (see Bethesda).
This dirty US strategy from Microsoft is really stupid in my opinion. Sony could have bought all the big studios in the PS2 era and didn't because of the laws of the world and because they have more (Japanese) honor. Some employees have already left Bethesda/Microsoft incl. Shinji Mikami.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
chakkra said:

I really wish Microsoft would just drop this and go back to buy independent studios. I see the why they want Act/Blizzard but I don't think it is worth the hassle (nor the money).

Curious how many independent studios SONY helped establishing will end up being acquired by them and how bigger existing PS studios will be by the time this deal closes. 

That's going to be the truest statement of the entire gen. 

Blood_Tears said:

Whenever life gets you down. Whenever you think you aren’t good enough. Just remember. You could be Phil Spencer right now. :)

Eheh i remember that one👍

chakkra said:

I really wish Microsoft would just drop this and go back to buy independent studios. I see the why they want Act/Blizzard but I don't think it is worth the hassle (nor the money).

MS already owns so many studios (23) and are sitting on goldmine of IP's. I'd rather them invest in their own internal studios and hone them in than randomly buying studio's. We've hardly had many first party releases from MS this generation and we're already approaching 2.5 years into Series X/S release.

They don't need ABK to compete in any way or form. Just focus on making good games and have a good release schedule. If they can't, well thats another issue.

Blood_Tears said:

Whenever life gets you down. Whenever you think you aren’t good enough. Just remember. You could be Phil Spencer right now. :)

It certainly isn't a good week for MS, not just because of the CMA and the disappointing quarterly Xbox results, but in addition to that, the US courts ruling from yesterday in the EPIC vs Apple case means MS plans to breakout with an Xbox Store on iOS devices is going to be hindered in the iPhone/iPad biggest market. 

Around the Network

Microsoft Shareholders think this is good, the share rose $10 after the decision
Activision shareholders OTOH are not too pleased with the decision

and just to add, Im not getting confused with the release of Microsoft's latest quarter results

MS are going to fight tooth and nail to get this passed.

If it doesn't close by a certain date (which I think could be extended) they have to hand ABK a check for $3 billion and get nothing in return. That's a lot of money and bad PR to receive nada....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:

MS are going to fight tooth and nail to get this passed.

If it doesn't close by a certain date (which I think could be extended) they have to hand ABK a check for $3 billion and get nothing in return. That's a lot of money and bad PR to receive nada....

Yes even if they pulled out today MS are on the hook for 2.5B already out of that 3B as they passed 2 out of the 3 deadline dates already. So if MS pulls out now at any point, Activision is getting paid. 

hinch said:
chakkra said:

MS already owns so many studios (23) and are sitting on goldmine of IP's. I'd rather them invest in their own internal studios and hone them in than randomly buying studio's. We've hardly had many first party releases from MS this generation and we're already approaching 2.5 years into Series X/S release.

They don't need ABK to compete in any way or form. Just focus on making good games and have a good release schedule. If they can't, well thats another issue.

Do you feel that Sony doesn't need any more studios either?

chakkra said:

Do you feel that Sony doesn't need any more studios either?

Uhh. we're not talking about Sony though. Not sure what that has anything to do with it.

MS has already invested in so many studio's and it hasn't quite paid off for them, just yet. Still have some big hitters from Bethesda incoming. And more from other studios. Better to manage what they have right now rather than adding more on their plate seeing as there output thus far hasn't been the strongest this gen - if we compare to older generations of Xbox consoles. Except now they have more studios than ever and lots of talent.