By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts March 2023 Discussion Thread

Welcome to the VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts monthly discussion thread for the March 2023 charts. Everyone is welcome to join the discussion and post any charts I forget to post. View the list of March 2023 articles here.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Link to the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison in Japan - March 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in December 2004 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles do not lineup.

Switch Vs. DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 362,192 - DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,503,395 - Switch

Total Lead: 3,558,253 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 28,708,735

DS Total Sales: 32,266,988

March 2023 is the 73rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the DS has outsold the Switch by 362,192 units when you align the launches.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the DS by 1.50 million units. The DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 3.56 million units.

The 73rd month for the Switch is March 2023, while for the DS it is December 2010. The Switch has sold 28.71 million units, while the DS sold 32.27 million units during the same timeframe. The DS sold current Switch sales in month 61.

The DS has sold 32.99 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch is currently 4.28 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The DS is basically dead at this point, but there's a big road for Switch to catch it.

Tears of the Kingdom may give a boost for Switch, but I can't see what else could help it. Unless Nintendo has some big surprise for the rest of the year.

PS5 vs PS4 Sales Comparison in Japan - March 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020 in Japan, while the PlayStation 4 launched in February 2014. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 150,678 - PS5

Gap change over last 12 months: 331,817 - PS5

Total Lead: 301,234 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 3,237,213

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 2,935,979

March 2023 is the 29th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 by 150,678 units.

In the last 12 months, the PS5 has outsold the PS4 by 331,817 units. The PS5 is currently ahead by 301,234 units.

The 20th month for the PS5 in Japan is March 2023, while for the PS4 it is June 2016. The PS5 has sold 3.24 million units, while the PS4 sold 2.94 million units during the same timeframe. The PS4 sold current PS5 sales in month 32.

The PS4 crossed 3 million units in Japan in month 30, 4 million in month 35, and 5 million in month 41. The PS4 has sold 9.61 million units to date. The PS5 is currently 6.37 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4 in Japan.

I plan on adding PS5 vs PS4 in the US with the March data. If March sales are better than February, the PS5 has a chance to catch up to the PS4 in the US. Europe is the main reason for the gap in PS5 and PS4 sales worldwide. 

Around the Network

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison in Japan - March 2023

This monthly series compares the aligned sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox 360 in Japan, as well as looking at lifetime original Xbox sales and Xbox One sales.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in Japan in November 2020, while the Xbox 360 launched in Japan in December 2005. The original Xbox launched in Japan in February 2002 and the Xbox One in September 2014.

XSX|S Vs. X360 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 1,335 - X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 46,893 - XSX|S

Total Lead: 166,713 - X360

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 438,118

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 604,831

March 2023 is the 29th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for in Japan. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox 360 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 1,335 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has caught up to the Xbox 360 by 46,893 units. The Xbox 360 is currently ahead by 166,713 units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 438,118 units in 29 months, while the Xbox 360 sold 604,831 units. Month 29 for the Xbox Series X|S is March 2023 and for the Xbox 360 is April 2008.

The Xbox 360 crossed one million units in month 40 and 1.5 million units in month 67. The Xbox 360 sold 1.66 million units lifetime. The Xbox Series X|S is 1.23 million units behind lifetime Xbox 360 sales.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Not sure whether the 400% Benji says for PS5 is correct or not.

The article says "PS5 sales are up by five times." which I would take to mean +500%, as up one time would be +100% not +0%? If it said "PS5 sales are up to five times" that would be +400%.

So not sure which is correct here but it reads as +500% to me.

Zippy6 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

The article says "PS5 sales are up by five times." which I would take to mean +500%, as up one time would be +100% not +0%? If it said "PS5 sales are up to five times" that would be +400%.

400% is the same as 5 times. I know it is confusing. I will have the Europe estimates out later today. No ETA right now as Europe takes the longest to go through as our Europe estimates are broken down to UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italic, Nordic, Benelux, and OEurope. And the Europe report is missing a decent amount of Europe. 

trunkswd said:
Zippy6 said:

400% is the same as 5 times. I know it is confusing.

Yeah I get that, 5 times sales = 400% increase. But I would view "up by five times" to actually mean it's six times sales. It's not one times, it's up five times, so six times. Just as 1 up by 5 would mean 6, and it would need to be up to 5 to mean 5. The wording is a bit weird to me. But I'll take it they actually mean 400% for now.