By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

I think people are underestimating Zelda. It doesn't have to be as a well known as Mario, it is still very well known by almost anyone born post 1980.

Lets not forget BOTW outsold Super Mario Odyssey by a large margin too ... Zelda has a multi-generational fanbase by now because it has been a thing since the 80s.

I remember even working in retail in the late 90s and a grandmother coming in to buy a Zelda DX on Game Boy Color and saying she knew the brand because she had taught her grand daughter how to read using the game and the instruction manual. Zelda may not make a billion right out of the gate, but I could definitely see 750 million+ and then subsequent sequel Zelda films having 1+ billion potential.

Much like not everyone knew Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy at one point were a C-tier Marvel IP.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

A lot of people would actually be like that cause I doubt that many people above the age of 50 know what Zelda is but loads will know about Mario for example. Zelda is not as popular and well known as you're suggesting it is, the gap between it and Mario is huge so a Zelda film would not get the audience numbers to reach a billion let alone equal the Mario film. I think it'd likely become the 2nd highest grossing video game ever made but a billion is a massive leap from there.

So Nintendo should do things to raise popularity of The Legend of Zelda before doing the movie?

Perhaps though BOTW and now its sequel is already doing plenty of that. A Zelda film would be a worthwhile endeavor since as long as it doesn't suck it should do at least as much as Sonic 2 and the Uncharted films did with potential to go beyond 500m if it's high quality. Doing a similar amount as the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films did though would be an extremely tall order. 

Last edited by Norion - on 25 April 2023

Zelda as a movie will destroy 500 million IMO. It would have to be done very poorly to only do 500 million.

Soundwave said:

I remember even working in retail in the late 90s and a grandmother coming in to buy a Zelda DX on Game Boy Color and saying she knew the brand because she had taught her grand daughter how to read using the game and the instruction manual. Zelda may not make a billion right out of the gate, but I could definitely see 750 million+ and then subsequent sequel Zelda films having 1+ billion potential.

Much like not everyone knew Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy at one point were a C-tier Marvel IP.

I think putting those two in the same category is a bit much. In Nintendo terms, Iron Man before the MCU would be like Star Fox, whereas Guardians would be like a Golden Sun or something. Totally different realms of popularity. And yeah Zelda is for sure a bigger name than either of those were - it probably still is a bigger name than at least one of them.

Slownenberg said:
Cobretti2 said:

Yer but with that logic, why would anyone create a new live-action movie with new characters? Sometimes you have to risk it to get the biscuit as they say lol. Therefore, just because a wider audience may not know it now, doesn't mean that a well executed movie can't attract them to it. Otherwise movies would have been long dead already. It also depends what Nintendo's aim would be. Would it be a one off movie or would they try to make a series out of it? The first movie, they may be happy to break even if they spend big money on marketing for it for example, as this will drive people to want to watch the next one (assuming first one was good).

We also all know that Nintendo don't always play it safe as we seen with their consoles, so I can see them going all in and taking a gamble to see if it pays off.

Yea exactly. And sure Zelda isn't as high profile with the general public as Mario, but outside of Mario it is one of the most recognizable IPs in video games. Norion, it's not like people are gonna be like "what is this zelda thing??".

You combine the highly recognizable IP of Zelda with the highly popular genre of blockbuster fantasy movies and you've got a potentially enormous smash hit in live-action Zelda movies that could go through several movies especially if they really build the characters in the first movie so that people think of the actors as Zelda, Link, etc like the way the public thinks of the actors in superhero movies as those characters.

Suddenly people are coming out of nowhere acting like live action movies can't make money lol. I don't think there is any chance that a Zelda animated movie would do anywhere near as well as a Zelda live-action. I'd give Zelda live-action at minimum few hundred million dollar advantage at the box office compared to an animated movie. I don't see Zelda animated appealing to anywhere near the number of people that Mario animated appeals to, but I could see Zelda live-action being on par with Mario animated movie's appeal. I think, assuming high quality for both concepts, Zelda animated would probably be a <$500 million thing, while live-action could very well be over a billion and possibly as big as wherever the Mario movie ends up. Cuz with live-action you're gonna still have all the kids into it, but you're also gonna have all the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s year olds who love fantasy movies loving it.

Build the characters is something that would work, and it would be relatively cheap for the first two movies using unknown actors for the roles of Link and Zelda. Look at Harry Potter as an example, started as children, then the series wrapped up when they were essentially adults. Just need a few strong adult actors to help those kids shine and develop and grow.

Look at last of US as a good example, very popular actor (Pedro, who attracted the non gamers to also watch the series) and a relatively young up and coming actress (Bella) who many would not know, now everyone knows her far more then they did before.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Soundwave said:

I think putting those two in the same category is a bit much. In Nintendo terms, Iron Man before the MCU would be like Star Fox, whereas Guardians would be like a Golden Sun or something. Totally different realms of popularity. And yeah Zelda is for sure a bigger name than either of those were - it probably still is a bigger name than at least one of them.

Agree with the Star Fox analogy and also why I think with how TV during COVID has changed how a lot of people watch entertainment, I think streaming on TV is the spot for it, similar to how The Last of Us ended up there.

In terms of Marvel, it is a good example of how they built something from relatively nothing.

Even the complexity of the way they tie in all the MCU movies, makes me wonder, did someone sit down and write a 20-30 year plan for it? or they just got some crazy ass writers who are able o come up with innovative ways as they go along to tie things up.

The thing that blew my mind the most was how Spider-Man no way home tied up the three spider verses into each other so smoothly. Before that I was pissed off that they kept rebooting spider-man instead of sticking with one for a longer period of time. Now the writers in this were either geniuses and achieved it or it was planned well and helped the writers write the story over the last 20 years.

There’s a high chance/a real chance Nintendo is becoming a legitimate film studio or at least an animation house in the very near future imo.

This is very similar to how the NES broke Nintendo into the gaming industry after the crash. The Mario Movie has been attributed to bringing families back to theaters after COVID.

Also, animation studios/brands are not what they used to be. Blue Sky and DreamWorks used to be competitive and were good competition for Disney and Pixar. Those have gone by the wayside. Pixar and Disney dominated and monopolized the animation genre pre-pandemic. Only Illumination was their competitor. There are not enough big studios anymore.

The pandemic happened and destroyed both Disney animation and Pixar as viable brands in the theatre and to general audiences. People were declaring animation is dead in theatres or whatever very recently. Because the monopoly Disney had over animation in recent times, when it’s damaged there’s no other studio to fill that role. Illumination is that but one big studio can’t carry the whole genre. The death of Pixar left a huge hole. There are holes to be filled and imo Nintendo will be that thing to fill the holes just like they did back in 1983. Honestly, it’s not even up to Nintendo to decide. The market needs another player and the audience is clearly here for it with open arms.

There are lines and parallels here with what COVID did to the movie business and the 1983 video game crash.

Also, you guys are seriously underestimating Zelda. That’s another BILLION dollar picture in the making.

Last edited by BlackBeauty - on 25 April 2023

Soundwave said:

Zelda as a movie will destroy 500 million IMO. It would have to be done very poorly to only do 500 million.

Still will need great marketing. What would be great marketing for the Zelda movie?

CaptainExplosion said:
Soundwave said:

Still will need great marketing. What would be great marketing for the Zelda movie?

It would be hard to come up with a marketing strategy before the idea, tone, energy of the movie has even been speculated on. There are many paths to many audiences to get them hyped about a given product, so I think that’s a bit of putting the cart before the horse. 

but the Nintendo Direct did wonders for the Mario movie. Chris Meledandri said he had never seen anything like it, and he is the head of a major studio. 

I wouldn’t underestimate the brand recognition of Zelda, or if its clout. Even non gamers know Zelda. It is arguably the most dignified of all the Nintendo IPs, so often doesn’t carry with it the same social stigma that many of Nintendo’s IPs come with. 

I wouldn’t and couldn’t make any predictions about the box office potential of a Zelda movie personally. Just look at the Batman franchise and see how many times it has failed versus succeeded. The execution of the work is more important than anything else and that starts with a great studio, a great director, great casting, and perfect tone. For every Batman Dark Knight there is a Batman and Robin. 

super_etecoon said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It would be hard to come up with a marketing strategy before the idea, tone, energy of the movie has even been speculated on. There are many paths to many audiences to get them hyped about a given product, so I think that’s a bit of putting the cart before the horse. 

but the Nintendo Direct did wonders for the Mario movie. Chris Meledandri said he had never seen anything like it, and he is the head of a major studio. 

I wouldn’t underestimate the brand recognition of Zelda, or if its clout. Even non gamers know Zelda. It is arguably the most dignified of all the Nintendo IPs, so often doesn’t carry with it the same social stigma that many of Nintendo’s IPs come with. 

I wouldn’t and couldn’t make any predictions about the box office potential of a Zelda movie personally. Just look at the Batman franchise and see how many times it has failed versus succeeded. The execution of the work is more important than anything else and that starts with a great studio, a great director, great casting, and perfect tone. For every Batman Dark Knight there is a Batman and Robin. 

True, but they can still have marketing without giving away the plot or contrasting the tone, right? Like maybe posters of a sword with the legendary quote "It's dangerous to go alone, take this.", or something fun like have Rupees hidden in public?