By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - ‘Street Fighter’ Film, TV Rights Go to Legendary

Legendary is ready to unleash a sonic boom, with the studio acquiring the film and TV rights to the classic beat-em-up game Street Fighter. The studio will work with video game company Capcom on future projects.

Street Fighter is one of the more enduring fighting video game franchises of all time. It began life with the 1987 arcade game Street Fighter, and hit a high water mark with Street Fighter II, the 1991 game that spawned countless special editions and remakes. In all, the franchise has sold 49 million units worldwide, with a new installment, Street Fighter 6 due out June 6.

Street Fighter Movie, TV Rights Go to Legendary – The Hollywood Reporter

Around the Network

Assassin's Fist is still the best SF movie by a long shot. Maybe the best video game movie. Before someone tries to go an Um Actually, on the Blu Ray it's a movie.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I was a bit disappointed with the latest Mortal Kombat movie so hopefully this does a better job. Obviously it'll need to bring the camp given the colorful source material but hopefully that's backed up by some quality martial arts and storytelling.

I really wish it were animated. I feel like they're just limiting SF's potential going live-action with this (and it will be in live-action), I still don't know if you can really do a lot of the Street Fighter special moves in live-action. They already tried a live-action Chun-Li Spinning Bird Kick in Legend of Chun-Li and it looked so bad, it made the fight choreography in the '94 JCVD movie look like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon:

I shudder to think how badly they would've f*cked up M. Bison's Psycho Crusher, which would be impossible to pull off with unassisted stuntwork. Spoiler: they don't even attempt it in that movie, obvious reasons.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 06 April 2023

Leynos said:

Assassin's Fist is still the best SF movie by a long shot. Maybe the best video game movie. Before someone tries to go an Um Actually, on the Blu Ray it's a movie.

Then Legendary should just do what the makers of Assassin's Fist did but even better, assuming they have the common sense to do so.

TallSilhouette said:

I was a bit disappointed with the latest Mortal Kombat movie so hopefully this does a better job. Obviously it'll need to bring the camp given the colorful source material but hopefully that's backed up by some quality martial arts and storytelling.

I was turned off the new Mortal Kombat movie the moment they decided the protagonist should be some random new character instead Liu Kang or Scorpion.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

TallSilhouette said:

I was turned off the new Mortal Kombat movie the moment they decided the protagonist should be some random new character instead Liu Kang or Scorpion.

Preach! I felt the exact same way. After reading these news, I thought the rights were bought by the same hacks who made that crapbomb movie. Turns out it's the same guys responsible for the recent American Godzilla movies. Those were alright so maybe this adaptation could have some hope.

Spike0503 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Preach! I felt the exact same way. After reading these news, I thought the rights were bought by the same hacks who made that crapbomb movie. Turns out it's the same guys responsible for the recent American Godzilla movies. Those were alright so maybe this adaptation could have some hope.

The only good Mortal Kombat movies have been the animated ones starting in the late 2010s.

I hope this turns out good.