By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - JAPAN Consoles Showdown: 2023 |Completed|

That makes sense and very valid. But that just means Switch needs to sell 220,605 units per week for the 2 weeks. Switch needs a Christmas miracle

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network

Upping on my list to see how the year will close.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shtinamin_ said:

That makes sense and very valid. But that just means Switch needs to sell 220,605 units per week for the 2 weeks. Switch needs a Christmas miracle

Yes, it will probably finish at around 4M. Let's see how this year will play out.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Oof Switch and PS5 had a rough December. They sold just under 3.95M units and just over 2.54M units, respectively. For a difference of -0.38M & -0.79M respectively.
Better luck next year. Also great showdown! The Switch showdown was the most interesting for sure.

Xbox Series escaped and beat the PS4 at just over 141k, a difference of +69.8k. Close.

Keep it up!

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Numbers have been updated with the last 2 weeks for the year, from VGChartz estimates.

Charts have been updated. Numbers were adjusted according to VGChartz data.

The comparisons are finishing in that way:

• Nintendo Switch vs Nintendo DS'08 - Switch came almost 300k short of DS'08, because of the weak holiday..
  • PlayStation 5 vs Nintendo 3DS'14 - PS5 came short of 3DS'14 by 600k, despite being way up the whole year ..
  • PlayStation 4 vs Xbox Series S/X - XBOX Series finished exactly double the units the PS4 sold in Japan for 2023.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 15 January 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:

Numbers have been updated with the last 2 weeks for the year,  from VGChartz estimates.

Charts have been updated. Numbers will be slightly adjusted very soon.

The comparisons are finishing in that way:

• Nintendo Switch vs Nintendo DS'08 - Switch came almost 300k short of DS'08, because of the weak holiday..
  • PlayStation 5 vs Nintendo 3DS'14 - PS5 came short of 3DS'14 by 800k, despite being way up the whole year ..
  • PlayStation 4 vs Xbox Series S/X - XBOX Series finished exactly double the units the PS4 sold in Japan for 2023.

Great work on the tracking/adjustment and selecting the most relatable system for comparison so the gaps were as small as possible and make the battle more funny.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."