By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Diablo IV open beta thoughts

I have played the Diablo IV open beta on the PS5 and have enjoyed it apart from the beginning and the online aspect I actually enjoyed the beta, a few glitches but that's to be expected I'm not sure why but the opening sequence after the cutscenes didn't quite feel like diablo but once  the meat and potatoes of the game kicked in it turned that early disappointment around. now how about you ?

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

I really enjoyed the beta. The combat system is better than D2 and D3, I built a hybrid trap and bow rogue and the flow of combat was really addictive. Shoot at the enemies, throw caltrops as they approached, shoot some more at the slowed enemies, lay a poison trap for those who survive.

The open world was very interesting, so much so that I barely progressed through the main story because I was doing quests and dungeons. The atmosphere is back to the roots from D1 and D2. Only thing that sucks is waiting until June to play the full game.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 28 March 2023

Signature goes here!

Lots of bugs, I was able to enter areas... And because the game hadn't loaded characters or scripts in fully, It would act like a rubber-band and pull me back to the start of the area. - But it's a Blizzard game, they will patch it frequently for the next decade.

Game ran flawlessly at 1440P, 144hz on my system, probably runs a little better than Diablo 2 remastered did... And looks significantly better.

Maps seem larger and more open, the terrible art direction that plagued Diablo 3 is loooong gone.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Haven't played it, but I'm actually really happy about what I've seen (hours and hours of gameplay from various sources and players). Combat looks solid, skill trees are back, builds seem to actually matter, and the visuals are gorgeous, especially considering the low system requirements. They've gone back to some golden parts of D2, steered clear of the worst of D3, and haven't quite made it a full MMO. I'm sort of bummed about the always online part, but there was no other way for the go, considering their entire revenue model is based around it, and the way the overall industry has moved. I can still enjoy it, I'm back to playing some PoE as well, to warm up for D4, and I still love that in spite of its always-online design.

Pemalite said:

the terrible art direction that plagued Diablo 3 is loooong gone.

This gives me hope.

Around the Network

I enjoyed it overall. Had some issues with it, namely the character creation felt too limited, class balance is a bit of a mess, dungeons and cellars ate a bit too repetitive, and there were some rubber rubberbanding and jerky companion animation bugs. But the story was great, gameplay was fun, lots of build depth, good graphics and audio. 

Overall I'd give the game in it's beta state an 8/10. If they can fix some of the issues ahead of the launch in June, it will likely go up to 9/10 for me.

shikamaru317 said:

I enjoyed it overall. Had some issues with it, namely the character creation felt too limited, class balance is a bit of a mess, dungeons and cellars ate a bit too repetitive, and there were some rubber rubberbanding and jerky companion animation bugs. But the story was great, gameplay was fun, lots of build depth, good graphics and audio. 

Overall I'd give the game in it's beta state an 8/10. If they can fix some of the issues ahead of the launch in June, it will likely go up to 9/10 for me.

Totally agree about the limited character creation lets hope that it's improved by launch also agree about the dungeons it was almost like instead of creating new dungeons they said lets take bits and pieces of diablo 3 and put them into diablo IV .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Totally agree about the limited character creation lets hope that it's improved by launch also agree about the dungeons it was almost like instead of creating new dungeons they said lets take bits and pieces of diablo 3 and put them into diablo IV .

I don't play many games with character customization options so I was actually impressed by that feature (plus my shirtless rogue was HOT)! I don't think I would want body type options for the customization because a skinny barbarian would feel really weird or a thick sorceress. 

Signature goes here!

mjk45 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I was so let down when I saw the female druid options in particular, the fact that you have to play as a tall and rather fat woman kind of sucks. The game badly needs some body type customization options. I understand they want classes to be more recognizable for PvP reasons, so having set heights and body types for each class helps with that, but i think they should stick with just clothing for class identification and give us some body type options. More face options and hair styles would be nice too.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 28 March 2023

I got into the close beta the other weekend, wasn't around to play the open one. The game was a lot grittier than expected, a nice feel. Played Rogue class as usual, mainly did bow abilities. Progression felt slow, in D3 it felt like I was being showered with abilities and stuff but in this it felt like I was stuck on like 2 or 3 things until like level 15, none made as much impact it'd like but then also was swamped by enemies less. Only died like twice and once was against The Butcher which annihilated my arse as soon as he showed up in what was a standard dungeon. In reality i think I need a few actually attempts at character abilities to get the right setup for me but didn't have time for that.

I liked the idea of a set map but didn't like the idea of sudo-mmo. I never played D3 with people, don't want to play D4 with people either. The story aspects in it seemed amazing however, the religious tones of things I can really get behind, love stuff like that in fiction. That one character near the end of chapter 1... my, welled up a bit inside too.

Hmm, pie.