By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 11 US Congressmen ask Biden Admin to pressure Japan over allowing Sony to buy console exclusivity deals

shikamaru317 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Then why not just release Starfield, Redfall, and all other recently aquired games on Playstation? After all the revenue they would get from doing so would only help them right? They care about controlling live services, not console sales. Right?

Because if you care only about revenue and not about marketshare, you will soon find yourself driven out of the console market and forced to abandon all hardware. Obviously Xbox doesn't want to go the way of Sega, and I can't blame them for that, there is alot more money to be made in the long run, generations into the future, by establishing Xbox as more than just a distant 3rd place console now, by pushing out high tier exclusives to drive hardware sales.

Why has Sony moneyhatted about 8 AAA 3rd party timed or full exclusives over the last 5 years? Because they are in a competition with Xbox to win this generation and sell more consoles than them. Why should Xbox not counter moves like that by at least making their own 1st party games exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem? Considering what Sony has been up to, I think Xbox is being generous to give them as many Zenimax games as they have personally. It's a dog eat dog world in the gaming market, you can only expect Phil to continue to be a nice guy doormat for so long. He went above and beyond the call of duty in pursuit of a friendlier relationship between Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo this last generation, he was largely responsible for the growth of crossplay in gaming with his efforts. But in spite of all of his efforts this past gen, Sony still wanted to play the "console wars" the old fashioned way. I can't blame Phil at all for responding to Sony's aggressive tactics by being less of a nice guy. He doesn't owe you Zenimax releases on PS5. He doesn't owe people CoD releases on PS5 either, though he will release CoD there because a. he'd lose too many CoD sales by making it exclusive, and b. it's best to stay on the good side of the regulators.

Microsoft cares about console sales again? I thought selling consoles wasn't their focus. Did they publicly state otherwise? I commend you for actually admitting that exclusives sell consoles. I swear two years ago you never would have admitted that.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 29 March 2023

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

I linked to the article for people to read. If I didn't want them reading the whole thing I wouldn't have provided a source.

"I don't have to ship those games on any other platform than MS platforms" is perfectly compatible with "We didn't buy Zenimax to withhold games." so long as MS doesn't withhold games. And yet they did.

"We didn't buy Zenimax to withhold games." => This is talking about a motivation. They didn't buy Zenimax with the sole intention of ensuring that Starfield never came to Xbox. They bought them to pad their lineup for Gamepass and Xbox, and otherwise support them.

Whether they end up doing that or not, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their motivation.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Dude, this is kind of a garbage comment as well.

Say what you want about me, I don't care, but dragging Trunks into it for no reason at all other than you being upset about the amount of Xbox news on the front page, going as far to compare him to f*cking Fox News is really shitty considering the damage those guys do. He just posts the news he sees, he doesn't even do opinion pieces!

Some of you need to chill with this console war stuff. You don't like seeing Xbox news on the front page then go take it up with Machina, maybe apply to be a writer if you're any good so you can post all this PlayStation news that Trunks apparently misses, stop talking shit about him when he does so much to keep the site alive and all some of you do is complain about how many Xbox articles he makes.

Mods should refrain from publicly attacking others. Normally I'd just be quiet about Trunks and leave him alone. But when a mod goes ahead and decides to call me biased just because he doesn't like what I have to say?

Also like I said anyone can take a talley of how many articles put Xbox in a nice light and how many articles rag on Playstation. Then they can compare that talley with other sites. Would you like me to start a thread containing news that he misses? I don't really plan on sticking around, but I'll post nothing but links in said thread on a daily basis. No commentary. Just links to news that he misses.

I find this an odd take. Xbox is overall the platform with the smallest userbase on VGC to my knowledge, afaik it's Nintendo > Sony > PC > Xbox. As far as I'm aware the preferred platform make-up of the mod-team is largely proportional to the overall userbase on VGC as well, and same for the writing team. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Because if you care only about revenue and not about marketshare, you will soon find yourself driven out of the console market and forced to abandon all hardware. Obviously Xbox doesn't want to go the way of Sega, and I can't blame them for that, there is alot more money to be made in the long run, generations into the future, by establishing Xbox as more than just a distant 3rd place console now, by pushing out high tier exclusives to drive hardware sales.

Why has Sony moneyhatted about 8 AAA 3rd party timed or full exclusives over the last 5 years? Because they are in a competition with Xbox to win this generation and sell more consoles than them. Why should Xbox not counter moves like that by at least making their own 1st party games exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem? Considering what Sony has been up to, I think Xbox is being generous to give them as many Zenimax games as they have personally. It's a dog eat dog world in the gaming market, you can only expect Phil to continue to be a nice guy doormat for so long. He went above and beyond the call of duty in pursuit of a friendlier relationship between Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo this last generation, he was largely responsible for the growth of crossplay in gaming with his efforts. But in spite of all of his efforts this past gen, Sony still wanted to play the "console wars" the old fashioned way. I can't blame Phil at all for responding to Sony's aggressive tactics by being less of a nice guy. He doesn't owe you Zenimax releases on PS5. He doesn't owe people CoD releases on PS5 either, though he will release CoD there because a. he'd lose too many CoD sales by making it exclusive, and b. it's best to stay on the good side of the regulators.

Microsoft cares about console sales again? I thought selling consoles wasn't their focus. Did they publicly state otherwise?

They want Gamepass subs more than anything else I'd say. But the more you sell of the only console that currently allows Gamepass, Xbox Series, the more subs Gamepass itself will get. Xbox would put Gamepass onto Steam, Switch, and PS I'm sure, if they could, but thus far Sony and Nintendo seem to have shot that idea down, while Gabe Newell has suggested that Gamepass on Steam is a possibility.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Dude, this is kind of a garbage comment as well.

Say what you want about me, I don't care, but dragging Trunks into it for no reason at all other than you being upset about the amount of Xbox news on the front page, going as far to compare him to f*cking Fox News is really shitty considering the damage those guys do. He just posts the news he sees, he doesn't even do opinion pieces!

Some of you need to chill with this console war stuff. You don't like seeing Xbox news on the front page then go take it up with Machina, maybe apply to be a writer if you're any good so you can post all this PlayStation news that Trunks apparently misses, stop talking shit about him when he does so much to keep the site alive and all some of you do is complain about how many Xbox articles he makes.

Mods should refrain from publicly attacking others. Normally I'd just be quiet about Trunks and leave him alone. But when a mod goes ahead and decides to call me biased just because he doesn't like what I have to say?

Also like I said anyone can take a talley of how many articles put Xbox in a nice light and how many articles rag on Playstation. Then they can compare that talley with other sites. Would you like me to start a thread containing news that he misses? I don't really plan on sticking around, but I'll post nothing but links in said thread on a daily basis. No commentary. Just links to news that he misses.

You realise that Trunks isn't even a Mod? Nor is he even in this thread, Lol.

Machia calls you biased so you decide to attack someone who has absolutely nothing to do with the current debate? Someone who hasn't ever said anything about you? That's plain shitty.

Like I said, Trunks posts what news he sees, he never does opinion pieces, only posts the news and is largely contributing to keeping VGChartz alive right now. There was no need to randomly attack him.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Ryuu96 said:

He's basically arguing the notion that everything Xbox does is intended to hurt PlayStation fans and kill PlayStation.

Then why not just release Starfield, Redfall, and all other recently aquired games on Playstation? After all the revenue they would get from doing so would only help them right? They care about controlling live services, not console sales. Right?

The Xbox console is apart of the business and thus needs to grow as well, the Xbox console is linked to Game Pass health as well. They need to grow Game Pass on console and to do that they need to grow the console business and to do that they need exclusives. Likewise, they also need PC content to grow Game Pass PC and Mobile content to make a dent into the Mobile market as well. All of this combined grows the overall business - Consoles, Game Pass, xCloud, etc.

It's not some evil "Haha, we have to kill PlayStation! How do we do that?!" but more "How do we grow OUR business?" and often the consequences of that hurt the rival but that is unavoidable when you're trying to grow your business. I mean it's fairly obvious that Xbox is more concerned about Game Pass lately but that still means they have to keep the console business healthy because that's where the majority of subs are currently at.

I'm 99% sure that if PlayStation allowed Game Pass, Microsoft would put it on PS5 tomorrow, Lol. Not that I think that would happen, nor do I think Sony has to, I understand that there is no logical sense for Sony to allow it.

shikamaru317 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I find this an odd take. Xbox is overall the platform with the smallest userbase on VGC to my knowledge, afaik it's Nintendo > Sony > PC > Xbox. As far as I'm aware the preferred platform make-up of the mod-team is largely proportional to the overall userbase on VGC as well, and same for the writing team. 

PC users and Xbox users will both favor Microsoft when it comes to arguments, because Microsoft kowtows to PC users idea that all games should automatically come to PC. After all PC and Xbox are essentially the same thing at this point in the industry's life cycle. It's Xbox/PC > Nintendo > Sony. Especially on the news section of the site. Not sure where all the Nintendo fans are at. I know they exist but do they post frequently?

P.S. Thanks for actually engaging with me and providing me with proof that I was wrong in interpreting the commision's report. Thanks Ryu for trying. Sometimes I need a specific piece of evidence before finding I was wrong.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Machiavellian said:

Subjects like these are really interesting to me. Its very telling when someone holds on to their opinion so strongly they are willing to basically call anything that does not support that opinion a lie. It just shows me how powerful information and the ability to manipulate it to fit someone bias.

Web sites like these are very interesting to me. It's very telling when the vast majority of articles posted on a web site are overwhelmingly pro-microsoft. Even the mods will go so far as to call someone with a conclusion different than their own biased (even when that person proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt). Stay classy vgchartz. ;)

The forums on this site have been pro-Sony and pro-Nintendo for probably a decade.  You have no clue what you are talking about.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

gtotheunit91 said:
EpicRandy said:

Why is anyone making exclusive or exclusive deals. To boast their own ecosystem no need for an intent to hurt competition.

Nah man, only PlayStation and Nintendo are allowed to have exclusives, haven't you heard? Hypocrisy be damned! 

With this logic, Spider-Man should be on Xbox. Worldwide phenomenon IP. That would bring in more revenue wouldn't it?

Xbox is allowed to have their own exclusives as much as they want, please just stop buying independent publishers for that. 

Remember many of the popularity of spider man came from Sony studios investing in the IP, the movies to be exact. It was a very desperate attempt from Marvel, because they were running out of cash and needed some way to farm money. They sold X-men to Fox and Spider-Man to Sony. 

You can read the story here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/marvel/amp/news/how-the-hell-did-sony-get-spider-mans-movie-rights-anyway/

I don't think Sony having the exclusivity over Spider-Man games is that unfair tbh 

Ryuu96 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

You realise that Trunks isn't even a Mod? Nor is he even in this thread, Lol.

Machia calls you biased so you decide to attack someone who has absolutely nothing to do with the current debate? Someone who hasn't ever said anything about you? That's plain shitty.

Like I said, Trunks posts what news he sees, he never does opinion pieces, only posts the news and is largely contributing to keeping VGChartz alive right now. There was no need to randomly attack him.

A mod attacking me is indicative of how this entire site runs behind the scenes. And I consider an accusatory attack from one of teammember to be an accusatory attack from all of you. Just because I don't accept the same evidence as you and need a little more or different evidence is no reason for a mod to show up and outright attack me in a condescending tone.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 29 March 2023