By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 11 US Congressmen ask Biden Admin to pressure Japan over allowing Sony to buy console exclusivity deals

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Source for the commission dropping their SLC concerns?

Microsoft's EU Remedies Target Only Cloud Streaming Rivals, Sources Says | Reuters

Others have reported on it, that Microsoft has only offered the European Commission aimed at Cloud, the logical reason for that would be that the European Commission has dropped their Console concerns because Microsoft would have zero reason not to offer them otherwise, they already have the contract written up for Sony.

They don't trust them on their word. They think that it's not financially feasible for MS to pull CoD from Playstation.

https://mp1st.com/news/microsoft-activision-deal-unlikely-to-hurt-console-gaming-market-admits-cma

Per the CMA - "While the arguments of Microsoft’s competitors in the console gaming market claimed that the Redmond company does have an incentive to engage in foreclosure strategies with Call of Duty, the CMA believes – after revising its predictive model based on input from all concerned parties – would lead to a net loss for all these parties in every scenario the regulator “found plausible.”

Just like the European Commission then who found that Microsoft doesn't have the financial incentive to make Zenimax titles exclusive.

Not having the financial incentive doesn't mean it is impossible. Once again, if Microsoft lied to the European Commission then it would be very easy for CMA to force a legally binding contract on them because they can't trust that Microsoft won't just eat the costs and go back on their word that they won't make Call of Duty exclusive.

And no, it's not a he said/she said. Anybody can look at the fact that they made an incorrect prediction concerning an input foreclosure strategy.

It is.

• You're saying Microsoft lied to the European Commission.
  • The European Commission are saying they didn't.

Who do I believe? The regulator who was apparently lied to who spent months and dozens of hours talking to Microsoft or you who is interpreting a document in the way you want it to be...Once again, Microsoft told EC right from the start that future titles will be decided on a case-by-case basis. Most of the rest of the conversations were related to current support.

The European Commission aren't an agency who would accept being lied to without calling a company up on it, Lol.

Microsoft's EU Remedies Target Only Cloud Streaming Rivals, Sources Says | Reuters

So anonymous sources. Neat.

Microsoft told EC right from the start that future titles will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

The case by case basis claim is just a sad effort by MS to muddy the waters. It has zero bearing here.

In an interview with Kotaku Phil Spencer claimed all the way back in October of 2020 that MS didn't buy Zenimax in order to pull games from rivals. Then they proceeded to pull Zenimax games Starfield and Redfall from rivals. And even within that interview he was using the case by case basis gobbledygook to muddy the waters.

Edit for Source: https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-on-series-x-launch-halo-infinit-1845392984

Edit: Don't make me hunt down my pre-2021 comments on various articles where I take Spencer at his word and believe him on Starfield coming to PS5. I've no doubt you remember my comments from back then.

No offense, but if you actually thought there was a good chance of Starfield coming to PS5, that is on you. Even in that same interview you are referencing from October 2020, he says that the only platforms he can guarantee for Zenimax games are Xbox Series, PC, and Gamepass/Xbox Cloud Gaming, and said that beyond those 3 platforms, other platforms would be decided on a case-by-case basis. So far he has stayed true to that promise, some like Skyrim Anniversary, the upcoming Fallout 4 current gen port, and the Quake remaster have released on Playstation and/or Switch in addition to Xbox/PC/Cloud, as Phil said that games with a legacy on other platforms would stay on those platforms (meaning that remasters and ports of older games will be multiplat); while others, such as HiFi Rush, Redfall, and Starfield, were each decided to be Xbox/PC/Cloud exclusives on a case-by-case basis.

Even if you did have those hopes to see Starfield on PS5 back in October 2020, by March 2021 those hopes should have been dead, because Phil stated then that most future Bethesda games would only release on platforms where Xbox Gamepass was available:

https://www.eurogamer.net/phil-spencer-says-future-bethesda-games-will-be-exclusive-to-platforms-where-game-pass-exists

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

He's basically arguing the notion that everything Xbox does is intended to hurt PlayStation fans and kill PlayStation.

Then why not just release Starfield, Redfall, and all other recently aquired games on Playstation? After all the revenue they would get from doing so would only help them right? They care about controlling live services, not console sales. Right?

Cerebralbore101 said:
Machiavellian said:

-Snip-

This site is a joke. Anyone can come to this site, check the front page and tell it's just Fox News for MS fans.

Dude, this is kind of a garbage comment as well.

Say what you want about me, I don't care, but dragging Trunks into it for no reason at all other than you being upset about the amount of Xbox news on the front page, going as far to compare him to f*cking Fox News is really shitty considering the damage those guys do. He just posts the news he sees, he doesn't even do opinion pieces!

Some of you need to chill with this console war stuff. You don't like seeing Xbox news on the front page then go take it up with Machina, maybe apply to be a writer if you're any good so you can post all this PlayStation news that Trunks apparently misses, stop talking shit about him when he does so much to keep the site alive and all some of you do is complain about how many Xbox articles he makes.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 29 March 2023

Cerebralbore101 said:

The european commision is claiming that Microsoft never decieved them because the commision incorrectly predicted that MS wouldn't withhold Starfield or other future Zenimax games from rival consoles. They were tricked by Microsoft, made an incorrect prediction, and now are trying to cover their tracks. See below...

https://ec.europa.eu/competition/mergers/cases1/202124/m10001_438_3.pdf

And just for those wondering what an input foreclosure strategy is....

https://www.vogel-vogel.com/faq-items/input-foreclosure-eu/?lang=en

Input foreclosure arises where the new entity would be likely to restrict access to the products or services that it would have otherwise supplied if the merger had not taken place.

Ryu do you seriously think that Starfield wouldn't be supplied to PS5 if the merger hadn't taken place?

Your right saying the EC did see foreclosure strategy as unlikely but wrong assuming they did not anticipate such action by MS and did not take this into consideration. 

Anyway those were not really the point of contention with your argument. this was 

"They were tricked by Microsoft, made an incorrect prediction, and now are trying to cover their tracks."

Only a few paragraph down from the one you shared on the very same document prove you they were not tricked.

shikamaru317 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

So anonymous sources. Neat.

Microsoft told EC right from the start that future titles will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

The case by case basis claim is just a sad effort by MS to muddy the waters. It has zero bearing here.

In an interview with Kotaku Phil Spencer claimed all the way back in October of 2020 that MS didn't buy Zenimax in order to pull games from rivals. Then they proceeded to pull Zenimax games Starfield and Redfall from rivals. And even within that interview he was using the case by case basis gobbledygook to muddy the waters.

Edit for Source: https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-on-series-x-launch-halo-infinit-1845392984

Edit: Don't make me hunt down my pre-2021 comments on various articles where I take Spencer at his word and believe him on Starfield coming to PS5. I've no doubt you remember my comments from back then.

No offense, but if you actually thought there was a good chance of Starfield coming to PS5, that is on you. Even in that same interview you are referencing from October 2020, he says that the only platforms he can guarantee for Zenimax games are Xbox Series, PC, and Gamepass/Xbox Cloud Gaming, and said that beyond those 3 platforms, other platforms would be decided on a case-by-case basis. So far he has stayed true to that promise, some like Skyrim Anniversary, the upcoming Fallout 4 current gen port, and the Quake remaster have released on Playstation and/or Switch in addition to Xbox/PC/Cloud, as Phil said that games with a legacy on other platforms would stay on those platforms (meaning that remasters and ports of older games will be multiplat); while others, such as HiFi Rush, Redfall, and Starfield, were each decided to be Xbox/PC/Cloud exclusives on a case-by-case basis.

Even if you did have those hopes to see Starfield on PS5 back in October 2020, by March 2021 those hopes should have been dead, because Phil stated then that most future Bethesda games would only release on platforms where Xbox Gamepass was available:

https://www.eurogamer.net/phil-spencer-says-future-bethesda-games-will-be-exclusive-to-platforms-where-game-pass-exists

The article reads March 2021. So a few months before the commission's findings published in May 2021. Thanks. That was the smoking gun I needed in order to be convinced that the commission wasn't claiming that MS wouldn't foreclose on Playstation.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Ryuu96 said:

He's basically arguing the notion that everything Xbox does is intended to hurt PlayStation fans and kill PlayStation.

Then why not just release Starfield, Redfall, and all other recently aquired games on Playstation? After all the revenue they would get from doing so would only help them right? They care about controlling live services, not console sales. Right?

Why is anyone making exclusive or exclusive deals. To boast their own ecosystem no need for an intent to hurt competition.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Because if you care only about revenue and not about marketshare, you will soon find yourself driven out of the console market and forced to abandon all hardware. Obviously Xbox doesn't want to go the way of Sega, and I can't blame them for that, there is alot more money to be made in the long run, generations into the future, by establishing Xbox as more than just a distant 3rd place console now, by pushing out high tier exclusives to drive hardware sales.

Why has Sony moneyhatted about 8 AAA 3rd party timed or full exclusives over the last 5 years? Because they are in a competition with Xbox to win this generation and sell more consoles than them. Why should Xbox not counter moves like that by at least making their own 1st party games exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem? Considering what Sony has been up to, I think Xbox is being generous to give them as many Zenimax games as they have personally. It's a dog eat dog world in the gaming market, you can only expect Phil to continue to be a nice guy doormat for so long. He went above and beyond the call of duty in pursuit of a friendlier relationship between Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo this last generation, he was largely responsible for the growth of crossplay in gaming with his efforts. But in spite of all of his efforts this past gen, Sony still wanted to play the "console wars" the old fashioned way. I can't blame Phil at all for responding to Sony's aggressive tactics by being less of a nice guy. He doesn't owe you Zenimax releases on PS5. He doesn't owe people CoD releases on PS5 either, though he will release CoD there because a. he'd lose too many CoD sales by making it exclusive, and b. it's best to stay on the good side of the regulators.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 29 March 2023

EpicRandy said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Why is anyone making exclusive or exclusive deals. To boast their own ecosystem no need for an intent to hurt competition.

Nah man, only PlayStation and Nintendo are allowed to have exclusives, haven't you heard? Hypocrisy be damned! 

With this logic, Spider-Man should be on Xbox. Worldwide phenomenon IP. That would bring in more revenue wouldn't it?

Ryuu96 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

This site is a joke. Anyone can come to this site, check the front page and tell it's just Fox News for MS fans.

Dude, this is kind of a garbage comment as well.

Say what you want about me, I don't care, but dragging Trunks into it for no reason at all other than you being upset about the amount of Xbox news on the front page, going as far to compare him to f*cking Fox News is really shitty considering the damage those guys do. He just posts the news he sees, he doesn't even do opinion pieces!

Some of you need to chill with this console war stuff. You don't like seeing Xbox news on the front page then go take it up with Machina, maybe apply to be a writer if you're any good so you can post all this PlayStation news that Trunks apparently misses, stop talking shit about him when he does so much to keep the site alive and all some of you do is complain about how many Xbox articles he makes.

Mods should refrain from publicly attacking others. Normally I'd just be quiet about Trunks and leave him alone. But when a mod goes ahead and decides to call me biased just because he doesn't like what I have to say?

Also like I said anyone can take a talley of how many articles put Xbox in a nice light and how many articles rag on Playstation. Then they can compare that talley with other sites. Would you like me to start a thread containing news that he misses? I don't really plan on sticking around, but I'll post nothing but links in said thread on a daily basis. No commentary. Just links to news that he misses.

Imagine thinking this site is pro MS … I haven’t got an acronym long enough to convey just how funny that is.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition