By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you initially did not like, but after a second look enjoyed

the medium by blooper. i uninstalled after first hour then re installed and was rivitted to the end.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

The original Dark Souls is probably the closest that comes to mind. It's perhaps a bit much to say I didn't like it, but I just couldn't properly grasp all its intricacies and fell off after failing to beat the Bell Gargoyles one too many times. I ended up giving it a second chance maybe two years later, and now it's one of my all-time favourite games.

The most recent years I have tried new games but tossed them aside far easier compared to when i was younger. My time is to spare for games I do not enjoy.
Some of the more popular games I have given multiple 4+ hour sessions and still do not like. Breath of the Wild and Elden Ring come to mind. Acclaimed games loved by millions. The fear of missing out made me return to them. But I have come to the conclusion that I simply do not like massive open world games and now I do not try new games in the genre anymore.

Just need to remember that some games are worth a second or third look before I toss them aside for another rerun of a game I already played multiple times and know I enjoy.

Pajderman said:

The most recent years I have tried new games but tossed them aside far easier compared to when i was younger. My time is to spare for games I do not enjoy.
Some of the more popular games I have given multiple 4+ hour sessions and still do not like. Breath of the Wild and Elden Ring come to mind. Acclaimed games loved by millions. The fear of missing out made me return to them. But I have come to the conclusion that I simply do not like massive open world games and now I do not try new games in the genre anymore.

Just need to remember that some games are worth a second or third look before I toss them aside for another rerun of a game I already played multiple times and know I enjoy.

I'm basically the same way. There are so many games coming out, and so many I haven't played in a long time, that I'm generally not going to invest in a game unless it grabs me within the first 5 hours. Marvel's Avengers and Jedi Fallen order come to mind for me. Maybe they would eventually get good, but I'm probably never going to know.

Surprised that you didn't like BOTW, but to each their own.

JWeinCom said:

I like the more linear Zelda games the best, my favorite 3D Zelda is Skyward Sword. I have played around 20 hours of BotW and after each session not felt the want of returning. Tears of the Kingdom will be the first new Zelda game I'm not buying. 

Many games I think I need to give more of chance, but I have accepted the fact that open world games are not my thing.

Around the Network

This is easy for me, BotW. I got it for Christmas of 2019 and played around for a couple hours then put it down. Thought the game was fun but wasn't anything I would probably play a ton of.

Then the lockdowns happened in early 2020 and I decided to give the game a real try and was blown away. Just the absolute freedom to tackle any obstacle how I wanted was amazing. I love how you can approach combat situations in so many different ways. Fell in love with the "I wonder what is at the top of this mountain" and just climbing it for the hell of it so I could find the next spot I wanted to get to, lol. Will be one of my favorite forms of entertainment I have ever experienced (perhaps my favorite).

BotW single handily made me a gamer again. I now own several different pieces of BotW memorabilia and preordered my first game (TotK, trying to find the Collector's Edition as well), game console (SE TotK Console), and Amiibo (the new TotK Link).

Nintendo with the Switch:

Pajderman said:
JWeinCom said:

I like the more linear Zelda games the best, my favorite 3D Zelda is Skyward Sword. I have played around 20 hours of BotW and after each session not felt the want of returning. Tears of the Kingdom will be the first new Zelda game I'm not buying. 

Many games I think I need to give more of chance, but I have accepted the fact that open world games are not my thing.

I like linear Zeldas and love Skyward Sword but also BOTW even though open world games usually aren't my thing (by open world I mean more like Skyrim and not so much Ubisoft style open world). Really the one open world game where exploring everything felt rewarding in and of itself. But, again, to each their own.

Pokémon Legends: Arceus for me. The beginning didn't catch me and the new mechanics and button layout confused me a lot. Then there is the fact that I couldn't hear much music, which is something I usually enjoy a lot, but all I heard was the town theme and the battle theme, that's it. I put the game away for like half a year but then decided to keep pushing through anyway because momma didn't raise no quitter.

And I liked it in the end. After a while it got me hooked. I think it is kind of refreshing for the entire series and it even has quite a lot of good and catchy music in it. You have to actively look for it, though, don't get interrupted by annoying random battles and even then it is tuned down a lot, but still. The music sounds way better when listening to it in Youtube. So all in all, it is a good game and I enjoyed my time with it.