By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2023 VGChartz Estimates Thread - Worldwide Estimates Out Now

Next: Genesis/Megadrive

Around the Network

Nintendo 64 had some great games, it's sad that it didn't sold very well. I spent hours playing Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros., Castlevania 64 and others.

But I can understand the reasons...

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Nintendo 64 had some great games, it's sad that it didn't sold very well. I spent hours playing Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros., Castlevania 64 and others.

But I can understand the reasons...

The Nintendo 64 was a great console and has some of my favorite games of all time. Super Mario 64 was my favorite 3D platformer until Mario Odyssey. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Link to VGChartz article here.

This monthly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 35,365,873
  2. PS5: 33,536,456
  3. XSX|S: 20,855,929

Through the first 28 months available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 1.83 million units units and is 14.51 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 12.68 million units.

The Switch has sold 35.37 million in 28 months worldwide, while the PS5 sold 33.53 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 20.86 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 28 months, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 39.4 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 37.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 23.2 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 12,933,238
  2. Switch: 12,269,631
  3. XSX|S: 10,155,657

Through the first 28 months available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.66 million units and is 2.78 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 2.11 million units.

The PS5 has sold 12.93 million in 28 months in the US, while the Switch sold 12.70 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 10.16 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 28 months, the PS5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 36.6 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 34.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 28.7 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe:

1. PS5: 10,256,247
  2. Switch: 9,109,032
  3. XSX|S: 5,612,705

Through the first 28 months available in Europe the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.15 million units and is 4.64 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.64 million units.

The PS5 has sold 10.26 million in 28 months in Europe, while the Switch sold 9.11 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.61 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 28 months, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 41.0 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.5 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 8,439,573
  2. PS5: 2,979,775
  3. XSX|S: 432,655

Through the first 28 months available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.46 million units and is 8.01 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 2.55 million units.

The Switch has sold 8.44 million units in 28 months in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.98 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.43 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 28 months, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 71.2 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 25.1 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.7 percent.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 04 April 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Link to VGChartz article here.

Xbox Series X|S Outsells Sega Master System

Microsoft's latest video game consoles, the Xbox Series X|S, which is part of the ninth generation of video game consoles, has outsold the lifetime sales of the Sega Master System, according to VGChartz estimates

The Xbox Series X|S had sold an estimated 20.86 million units worldwide through February 2023, while the Sega Master System sold 20.84 million units lifetime.

Up next for the Xbox Series X|S is the Nintendo GameCube with 21.74 million units sold, followed by the original Xbox with 24.65 million units sold and Atari 2600 with 30.00 million units sold.

Breaking down sales by region, the Xbox Series X|S has sold an estimated 11.13 million units in North America, 5.61 million units in Europe, 0.43 million units in Japan, and 3.68 million units in the rest of the world. This compared to the Sega Master System, which sold 2.00 million units in North America, 6.95 million units in Europe, 2.52 million units in Japan, and 9.37 million units in the rest of the world.

Breaking down Xbox Series X|S Europe sales, the console has sold an estimated 1.96 million units in the UK, 0.82 million units in Germany, and 0.72 million units in France.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020.