By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2023 VGChartz Estimates Thread - Worldwide Estimates Out Now

trunkswd said:

Around ~170 million combined is the most likely outcome. 

So pretty much like PS4/One situation

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

Around ~170 million combined is the most likely outcome. 

I'm thinking that is the lowest end, with a decent chance to be a bit higher. I expect the Xbox Series X|S to end up outselling the Xbox One with its stronger 1st-party lineup of games. Though, I don't see it coming that close to the Xbox 360's ~85M. So something like 60M-70M lifetime for Xbox Series X|S.

While The PS5 I see selling around what the PS4 sold. It is behind the PS4, but I see the gap to continue to close over the coming months with PS5 stock being much stronger now. So PS5 around 110M-125M lifetime.

So combined I am thinking 170M-195M.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
SKMBlake said:

I'm thinking that is the lowest end, with a decent chance to be a bit higher. I expect the Xbox Series X|S to end up outselling the Xbox One with its stronger 1st-party lineup of games. Though, I don't see it coming that close to the Xbox 360's ~85M. So something like 60M-70M lifetime for Xbox Series X|S.

While The PS5 I see selling around what the PS4 sold. It is behind the PS4, but I see the gap to continue to close over the coming months with PS5 stock being much stronger now. So PS5 around 110M-125M lifetime.

So combined I am thinking 170M-195M.

Combined it has to be closer to 195.  All my predictions for the last 2 years are based on it, lol.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

According to this latest VGChartz estimate the Xbox Series X|S has Surpassed the Master System. Next Target: Gamecube.

Last edited by Chicho - on 31 March 2023

trunkswd said:
Norion said:

As expected another insane month for the PS5 doing even better than in January. It'll probably be at least a bit lower in March but will still be huge. Switch is still doing well but it being over 30% down shows that a successor will be needed soon and Xbox did somewhat better compared to last month but being flat compared to last year still isn't ideal so hopefully March shows some growth.

Also the PS5 and Xbox Series should hit the fabled 56m combined mark for the next update which will be fun.

Who would have thought the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S would sell more than 56 million combined lifetime. Yes, that sarcasm. Around ~170 million combined is the most likely outcome. 

I wonder if they'll ever expand notably beyond that or if the growth of stuff like cloud gaming will keep that from happening.

Around the Network

It seems that sales in Europe and Especially in The Americas will be higher in March compared to February this year for the PS5.

Will be interesting to see what’s the effect of the Mario Bundle for the Switch WW, what is clear is that April will be Down a lot in preparation for the Zelda TOTK launch in May.

Thank you very much, @trunks! :)

I was really excited to see the worldwide estimates for February. Almost 1.8m monthly? PS5 just knocked the ball out of the park. So amazing!

This week was also the first time I had personally seen a PS5 (GoW bundle) at a local retailer, it was actually three of them. When I had entered the store, a guy openly carrying his newly purchased PS5 had left it and you could see the "Oh yeah, that's a PS5 in my hands, envy?" look in his eyes. ;D

I actually fall a bit short of an explaination why XSXS estimates are at a 3:1 ratio compared to PS5. I truly liked sales of both being relatively close to eachother in the past.

However, I am super excited about 2023 being the year in which estimates/sales significantly increase even outside Nov/Dec. And being the year in which PS4 and One versions of games are finally put to rest.

According to an article just a day or two ago, PS5's and XSXS' new graphical pipeline capabilities also haven't been really touched so far and developers are not yet finished/maybe haven't really started yet building those new engine's frameworks.

I am thrilled to see the first real titles brute forcing/cleverly use the power of PS5 and XSXS.

Last edited by Panicradio - on 01 April 2023

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2023 Worldwide Sales Comparison Charts Through February

Here we see data representing the sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and two legacy platforms (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) over comparable periods for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2020 – (January 2020 to February 2020)

2021 – (January 2021 to February 2021)

2022 – (January 2022 to February 2022)

2023 – (January 2023 to February 2023)

"Year to date" sales for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2023 versus 2022 and 2023 versus 2021 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 0.63 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 85,444 units (-12.0%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 0.71 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 137,746 units (-16.2%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 1.15 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 571,716 units (99.6%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.01 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 37,538 (-85.7%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Sony is outselling them by 3x and I still can’t buy a Series X at normal price in Sweden. Someone at MS fucked up hard.

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 Outsells Nintendo 64

Sony's latest video game console, the PlayStation 5,which is part of the ninth generation of video game consoles, has outsold the lifetime sales of the Nintendo 64, according to VGChartz estimates

The PS5 had sold an estimated 33.54 million units worldwide through February 2023, while the Nintendo 64 sold 32.93 million units lifetime.

Up next for the PS5 is the Sega Genesis with 34.06 million units sold, followed by the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) with 49.10 million units sold and the Xbox One with 51.26 million units sold.

Breaking down sales by region, the PS5 has sold an estimated 14.24 million units in North America, 10.26 million units in Europe, 2.98 million units in Japan, and 6.06 million units in the rest of the world. This compared to the Nintendo 64, which sold 20.11 million units in North America, 6.35 million units in Europe, 5.54 million units in Japan, and 0.93 million units in the rest of the world.

Breaking down PS5 Europe sales, the console has sold an estimated 2.52 million units in the UK, 1.66 million units in Germany, and 1.48 million units in France.

Sony Interactive Entertainment did announce it had shipped 32.1 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of December 31, 2022. With 32.1 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of December 2022 that means 7.1 million units were shipped from October to December. This is up 3.2 million from the same quarter in 2021.

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 8.4 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 37.7 million units shipped as of December 31, 2015. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 5.6 million units.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020.